No TPMS will foul ABS and VSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: George Bynum
CapriRacer said:
The problem - then and now - is that the different systems don't all do the same thing.

Some measure the differences in diameter. Some measure the actual pressure. Some .../quote]Capri, the TPMS systems interest me. Are you aware of aftermarket systems that are reasonably priced and will give an in-car display of actual pressure? For playing around, I'd consider reasonable at $300 or so. If junkyard sensors/transmitters are a viable option, whose are easy to integrate?

I have no experience with this one but it sounds interesting
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/TPMS/TireSafeGuard/tpms_tiresafeguard.php

The temperature readout is a nice plus.

Originally Posted By: XS650
I have no experience with this one but it sounds interesting
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/TPMS/TireSafeGuard/tpms_tiresafeguard.php

The temperature readout is a nice plus.
looks nice ... did you look at the other items they have ... kinda unusual ... like toys? I may look at it, the $309 is in the range I expected. I'll likely wait until I need tires as they have to be demounted and remounted ... and balanced with this in there. They don't mention what it weighs. The 1.5 psi accuracy is fine; hope they have a "zero" setting in software to balance them at working pressure. With a 150 psi range, looks like trucks are their intended market.

I was also looking for a good aftermarket TPMS for my Civic. I found a few models on tireracks website and liked the Hella brand but not sure if there are better options or not at this time.

We have an 09 Odyssey and I have investigated this issue fairly extensively. If you have the "Touring" model, then you have TPMS sensors that differentiate tire-by-tire. EG, you can tell that the "Driver's Front tire is low" rather than "A tire is low" on all other models.

For some reason, "Touring" models can self-reset its TPMS system if you buy the correct TPMS senders for your winter wheels. EXL's and all models below cannot. In those models, the van's computer has to have the serial numbers for the factory TPMS sensors deleted one by one, then re-input one-by-one for the winter tires. The dealer wants $100 every spring AND fall to do this if you have shelled out for TPMS sensors inside your winter wheels. For this reason it is nice to have purchased the "Touring" if that is what you did. If you have an EXL or lower, there is an aftermarket tool that can do all this (with or without a Laptop computer IIRC).

ATEQ TPMS Reset Tool

I have an EXL and did not want to buy the sensors and the tool so I run my winter tires (on e46 BMW 330ci Rims - with hubcentric adapter rings - perfect fit) with no TPMS. The consequences are:

1. TPMS light on dash all winter (this goes away when you re-install the factory summers with TPMS).

2. Stability Progam is fine, except that you lose the option to disable stability progam and spin the front tires at will. The idea is, that with potentially flat tires, it could be dangerous to allow this function.

3. ABS is fine.

That's it.

You get used to the yellow light on the dash, and many families I know here in Calgary do just like I do with their winters.

I hope this information helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back