Tranmission oil capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to change the transmission oil on my 2009 Dodge Journey. Its got the 2.4 liter engine in it and its a 4 speed auto. Anyways I can't find the trans oil capacity in my owners manual and I can't really find it online any where does anyone know where I can figure it out?

I don't have any Dodge vehicles, but it should be in that owner's manual somewhere. Look for a specifications chart, either in the back of the book or try its index. More importantly, you need to identify your specific replacement plan. If you are planning on draining and refilling the transmission, you won't need the total fluid capacity, as you can only drain a fraction of the amount. A rough guestimate would be that you should only need 3 to 4 quarts for a drain and fill. Of course, you can use more than that if you use a more advanced method of replaceing the fluid.

Vic

Amsoil's website is great for info like this. Look up your vehicle and it'll usually be able to tell you what products of theirs you should use along with various capacities. According to their website I believe it's saying 4.1 quarts for a drain and fill, and 9.2 quarts for the complete system. Check out their website and look up your vehicle to see the info they have available for it.

Though I must say I've only used their website for a guide, I've never had to rely on it solely, and I've never had any reason to verify/confirm the values they've given me

forget about draining the torque converter - there are no drain plugs in them like the old days. The 41TE(S) will take 4 qts (or a little more) after draining. how many miles are on it?

make certain to use ATF+4 fluid; which is actually a group III "synthetic" with a pretty good additive package.

Alldata lists:

41TE/41AE Estimated Service Fill 4.0 qts (3.8L)
41TE/41AE Overhaul Capacity with Torque Converter Empty 9.2 qts (8.7L)

62TE Estimated Service Fill 5.5 qts (5.2L)
62TE Overhaul Capacity with Torque Converter Empty 9.0 qts (8.5L)

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
If you realy want to do it right you should be sure to drain the torque converter. You will probably have to remove it.
There is no real way of draining the torque converter outside of taking the thing apart, and everyone knows taking apart an auto tranny is suicide. You just have to live with changing about half the fluid at a time, which really isn't so bad.

Thanks for all the info, I did check out the Amsoil site and that does come in handy.

Its only got about 30,000 miles on it but I just want to replace it we are towing a little pop up camper with it and its fairly tough on that little engine and trans, it still shifts fine and all I just want to make sure it stays that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back