Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm at Wal Mart last night and have to pick up some oil for my 2008 Chevy Impala which will be needing an oil change soon. I see that they're now stocking the Ultra...been using Platinum since I bought the car. The 5 quart jug of Ultra is $25.00 vs. the $20.50 for the Platinum. I must have stood there for 10 minutes debating my choice...finally went with the Platinum I've been using. I honestly don't see a big difference in the UOA's I'm seeing here for the Ultra vs. the Platinum (though the advertising on the Ultra jug claims it provides 35% better cleaning properties than their "next best" oil). Is the Ultra really that much better?...(I kept the receipt...just in case)...

I just bought a bottle of Ultra on Sunday from WM and Im glad I went with it over Platinum. Im not a 100% sure how much better it is over PP but from what I have read on here on the Pennzoil Q&A Ultra seems like a great product and is worth trying out. Also theres a thread on here where someone took a photo before and after inside their valve cover with Ultra and the difference was amazing, so I bought a jug the next day after seeing the picture.

I'll make a bet with SOPUS. If any oil they have can clean the inside of my valve cover within one year of even short OCIs, I'll only buy SOPUS lubricants and gas for as long as I continue driving.

If it fails to work as their marketing department claims, they can provide me with free oil for life from themselves or one of their competitors, per my choice.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
I just bought a bottle of Ultra on Sunday from WM and Im glad I went with it over Platinum. Im not a 100% sure how much better it is over PP but from what I have read on here on the Pennzoil Q&A Ultra seems like a great product and is worth trying out. Also theres a thread on here where someone took a photo before and after inside their valve cover with Ultra and the difference was amazing, so I bought a jug the next day after seeing the picture.

do you have a link to that thread, or a timeline for me to search? I just spent a half hour looking for those pictures with no luck. Do you remember any of the title?

get the ultra. if you do you'll be glad you did, if you dont you'll regret that you didnt, even if it doesnt make one bit of difference, you'll always tell yourself that it would have because its the most awesome thing since sliced bread.

i got a jug of ultra and a jug of platinum, that way when my ultra phase is complete, i can just use the platinum

I really don't see a need for Ultra if you aren't driving a lot of miles in a year. Every time I goto buy oil, I check out SOPUS products but given I had a long history with Mobil 1 and no issues I just end up buying M1. I don't bother with M1 EP etc.

I did try PP/QS/Synpower and find them all to be good oils as well. I think you made the right choice and using PP, which has been proven time and time again to be a great oil and great for eOCI's. Pocket the 5 bucks and use it for a better filter or some fuzzy dice for your ride!

Since Ultra rolled back to $25 a jug at Walmart I'm not really sure what other OTC oil in 5w-20 is worth buying.

As soon as I get Ultra in both my cars Ill do 1yr OCI's. Granted I only put between 3-5k a year on each car I would rather have an oil that performs extremely well if I only have to pay for it that one time. Why be a cheapskate if you only have to spend the extra $5 once a year? Even if you do it 4 times a year, you wont miss that $20 extra you spent on oil.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Since Ultra rolled back to $25 a jug at Walmart I'm not really sure what other OTC oil in 5w-20 is worth buying.

My local Walmart cant keep Ultra on the shelves since the roll back. Even gets its own shelf away from the other oils!!! Anyway I agree with ya. $25 for a top shelf oil is a hard bargin to pass up. Im stoked for their 0w-20 to come out!

As soon as I get Ultra in both my cars Ill do 1yr OCI's. Granted I only put between 3-5k a year on each car I would rather have an oil that performs extremely well if I only have to pay for it that one time. Why be a cheapskate if you only have to spend the extra $5 once a year? Even if you do it 4 times a year, you wont miss that $20 extra you spent on oil.

3-5k OCI in a 1 year interval for $25 may be cheap. But PP @$20 is cheaper and can do it just as well. I'm not here to play devil's advocate but just laying it out there that there is more hype involved since its "new". The older stuff works just as well is what I am saying.

I agree with the OP. Longtime user here of PP, MC, Valvoline, etc with good UOA's and nice clean engines over many hundreds of thousands of miles. I really don't see the need to pay even a few bucks extra for PU especially since I don't do extended intervals, usually oil change is around 5K miles.

I've followed the BITOG advice on oil selections - I generally buy whichever quality oil is on sale and have been very pleased with the operating results. Nothing at all against PU, I know it's great, but I can't see what gain it would provide.

Originally Posted By: Anies

3-5k OCI in a 1 year interval for $25 may be cheap. But PP @$20 is cheaper and can do it just as well. I'm not here to play devil's advocate but just laying it out there that there is more hype involved since its "new". The older stuff works just as well is what I am saying.

Its older but reformulated under the same name so its new I suppose!

I would have used the PU,better oil IMO, TBN better specs better use that and take your OLM to zero and or one year.

i've been buying it up for $20 with coupon.

$5 is what, 1.5 gallons of gas ? $5 extra for ONE YEAR ! If you already are using synthetic (PP) oil, you want the best, why not PU ?

Why not use it? I put it in my son's Infiniti G37 Coupe, premium oil for a premium car. Besides G37's are hard on oil, I figure he can go 7500 miles without any worry.

From all the UOAs, it certainly looks like PU can do extended OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
$5 is what, 1.5 gallons of gas ? $5 extra for ONE YEAR ! If you already are using synthetic (PP) oil, you want the best, why not PU ?

If you're using PP, you likely want the best for the money spent. It's all about value returned compared with value spent. Both PU and PP would be great oils in your G37, and both are likely up to the task of 7,500 miles. If there are few tangible differences in how PP and PU perform in the field, over a given OCI, then I think you'd have to ask yourself why spend the extra $5. Sure, it's just 5 bucks. I'll give you my PayPal address if you like throwing fives around.

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back