$21.50

Status
Not open for further replies.
To fix a tire! That's how much firestone wanted this morning. Only went there in the first place since I was get the front tires balanced since I had the "plan". Wal-Mart wanted $10 to fix it. Not sure what Wally wanted to balance both but Firestone was 12.99 (Lifetime balance) for one. If I wasn't thinking about moving I'd go to Harbor Freight and get everything to do it myself already have the patches.

Small nail. That hadn't looked at the tire yet but they would of been able to fix it anyways. To close to the sidewall.

It's a shame that Firestone charges more than double what some of the other shops around here charge. That's where we have to take the government vehicles, and tire repairs are $25-30. Wiper blades are $19 each (the Bosch ones). It's a shame really.

I had a puncture a few months ago. I called around, and all the tire dealers were $19-->$25. Wallmart was $10. That's the only thing I'll take to Walmart tire center, and I walk the tire in so they don't have to touch my vehicle.

It always amazes me how people want shops to essentially work for free. [censored], a tire repair could easily take half an hour, plus the patch. $25 is not unreasonable at all. Maybe the tire is barely worth that... that's YOUR call.

Like MrSilv, I fix my own tires with those cheap, sticky plugs that you can buy at Walmart. They've worked fine for me more times than I can remember. But if you want it done 'right', which requires removing and re-balancing the tire, then you should be willing to pay for it.

You wanna play, you gotta pay... or do it yourself.

I paid about that for a proper repair to one of the Michelin Harmony tires on the van in March.
They did a proper inside patch, replaced the valve stem, and rebalanced the assembly.
A few $$$?
Yeah.
Worth it to get the thing back on the road, and to avoid replacing a $70-80 12K tire?
Yeah.

Don't ever think I said it should be free but from now on it will be. A new tire cost $32.50. Went ahead and replaced it and the other back tire at Wally world and got the life-time plan. Really tire repairs should be based on tire size. Patching up a 13 inch should be a heck alot easier that patching a 20 inch.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Patching up a 13 inch should be a heck alot easier that patching a 20 inch.

Why? The process is the same, and the time spent is about the same as well, and the same equipment is used, and same amount of materials is used.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Patching up a 13 inch should be a heck alot easier that patching a 20 inch.

Why? The process is the same, and the time spent is about the same as well, and the same equipment is used, and same amount of materials is used.

Ever work on tires? 20 inchers are heavier 6-8 lugs versus 4-5 can think of a few others. I could probably do two 13 inchers in the same time and energy as one 16+.

$21.50 is reasonable when you consider the labor involved.

Tiny 13 inch pizza cutter wheels/tires are much easier to work with than 20 inch and bigger wheels/tires

Those guys must last that long at a tire shop with all that constant heavy lifting

Consider that to do the job right, they take the tire off, and patch it from the inside, then remount and rebalance the tire.

I pay 15 dollars here.

The price is probably inflated so they can have it hanging over your head on the menu board. This will make you get the road hazard plan at a "reasonable" $70/4 tires.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back