Is there a reason to stay with a "V" speed rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
....that was OEM (Michelin MXV 4) on my 2005 Accord V6?

I'd prefer to re-skin the car with the Turanza Serenity in the OEM 205/60/HR/16. The treadware rating is at 70k miles on the HRs, 50k miles on the V rated skins.

Price wise, there's only a $30-$40 difference in a set of four.

Originally Posted By: crosseyedwx
I'd go with the H-rated myself... the question is whether the tire installer will do it due to some sort of liability.

Costco won't install anything less than OEM specs (V-rated). Other tire shops will install the H-rated, though they are required to tell me it "may affect my handling."

That is a 140MPH car. Stick with the "V" even though you will never reach this speed.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I went away from V rated with no issues.

P.S. Did you notice this is in the Detail and Wax section?

Uh, did I notice what? A post you made in the detail and wax forum?

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
That is a 140MPH car. Stick with the "V" even though you will never reach this speed.

Excuse me, were you referring to my 2005 Accord as being capable of achieving 140-mph?

Quite possibly. If dropped from 10,000 feet from the back ramp of a C-17. At which point neither H- nor V-rated tires would be helpful.

Originally Posted By: dkryan

A post You made in the Detail and Wax forum.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

A post You made in the Detail and Wax forum.

Okay Quattro, I have to beg your indulgence while you patiently lead me by the ear to ..............

I'd prefer to re-skin the car with the Turanza Serenity in the OEM 205/60/HR/16. The treadware rating is at 70k miles on the HRs, 50k miles on the V rated skins.

If you're not an aggressive driver who occasionally venture into triple digits speed and double the recommended on/off ramp speed then H-rate is plenty safe for your car.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If you're not an aggressive driver who occasionally venture into triple digits speed and double the recommended on/off ramp speed then H-rate is plenty safe for your car.

Thanks, HTSS...

It's tough to venture anywhere near the triple digits on highways in the Midwest. The road conditions aren't the best, the weather has to be clear and dry, and one has to ensure he is not surrounded by "texters" and cell phone fanatics!

Besides, with the Ohio Highway Patrol running six (6) cars between downtown WKRP and mile marker 9 this past Saturday afternoon, it's a tough (and expensive) proposition to drop one's throttle to the floor.

I go to Vegas few times a year on I15. Some stretches of I15 around Death Valley are fairly emptied of cars and trucks so that I could speed up to 110-120+ for few miles. My E430 recommends Z-rated tires and that is what I have on that car, because I do need it sometimes. I know that H-rated tires can handle speed up to 130 MPH, but I like extra margin when I travel at speed above 100 MPH.

If you're rarely drive faster than 80+ MPH, then H-rated tires has plenty safety margin for you.

The V-6 would surely be capable of 140, since the four will approach 130.
IIRC, though, the car is governed to a speed slightly higher than what the four cylinder tops out at naturally.
Anyway, go with a V.
The extra sidewall stiffness alone is worth it, if you like driving.
Plus, you do get a better constructed tire, for only a couple of dollars more.
Also, you can't compare treadwear ratings between brands, so don't make that too much of a factor.

my compliance tyre plate in the door jamb says no lower rating than H for my camry but OEM tyres are V rated...

H should be very appropriate.

People tend to look at those speed ratings and assume that ANYTHING with a V rating on it will necessarily be stiffer or have more grip or whatever compared with a tire with an H rating. No so!

You have to look at the exact tire(s) being considered. There are some EXCELLENT H-rated tires out there and there are some pretty lousy V-rated tires out there.

Personally, I'd use either an H- or V-rated tire if it were me. When the OEM V-rated Michelins on my Camry wear out, I'll try to replace them with H-rated Primacys, if Sam's Club will let me...

Well, here's how the "re-skinning" occurred:

I shopped price (and service) at three different tire stores (Bridgestone/Firestone; Costco, and Michel Tire).

Ultimately, I ended up at the same place I bought the Dueler Alenzas for the Highlander: Firestone.

I told the manager I wanted "H" rated Turanza Serenity tires. When I arrived for the appointment, he had "V" rated tires. He said he'd have to have the "H" rated tires shipped in from Bridgestone. What persuaded me to re-skin with the V tires was the total price.

Basically, I received new (no blems or seconds) tires, mounting, balancing, valve stem, and a road hazard guarantee for $122.50 per tire ($490 per set, pre-tax). I purchased the lifetime alignment for $139. With tax and the B.S. "shop supplies charge" of $9, I was out the door for about $681.

Costco had quoted me $551 for all of the above including tax, with no alignment.

The Firestone total price was about $140 less than they had quoted me on Sunday when I found the nail near the outside tread and realized it could not be patched. With two of the other three OEM MXV 4s at the wear-bars, I knew it was time to re-skin the Accord.

What was interesting was the rear alignment. It seems you can measure the angle but you cannot adjust the rear-end on the 2005 Accord. I believe the left side was at -1.4 degrees and the right at -1.7 degrees. That would account for the rear tires showing the wear bars at 31k miles. Obviously my mother-in-law rarely, if ever, rotated the tires in her five years/22k miles of ownership.

The tech said if the difference between the left and right rear angle was greater than -.5 degrees, I should purchase new aftermarket control arms for the rear that would allow them to adjust the rear alignment to "zero" degrees. This would aid in reducing premature tire wear (as would proper inflation and rotation).

The two Acura Integras we've owned were "adjustable" in the rear-end via shims. No such luck with the Accord.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Personally, I'd use either an H- or V-rated tire if it were me. When the OEM V-rated Michelins on my Camry wear out, I'll try to replace them with H-rated Primacys, if Sam's Club will let me...

Costco will only replace tires with tires having the OEM speed rating. In my case, V-rated only.

I'd be surprised if Sam's re-skinned with a lower speed rating, as well.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Costco will only replace tires with tires having the OEM speed rating. In my case, V-rated only.

I'd be surprised if Sam's re-skinned with a lower speed rating, as well.

The Costco policy here is that they will go down 1 speed rating.

The angles you mentioned is for camber. Those camber readings should not present a problem as long as the tires are rotated regularly. Toe is the most important angle for tire wear; if the toe is correct, I think even with those camber readings the tire wear should not be a problem.

It sounds like I can keep my $$$ in my pocket and forget about control arms for the rear-end, then?

Having the "lifetime" alignment, I'll keep an eye on it regularly, along with 5k mile rotations.

Is "toe" applicable to both front and rear settings? I thought it was a "front-end only" setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back