Tire puncture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear I'm a magnet for nails and screws when I drive. I haven't even hit 5k miles on my new Kumho KL51 tires and I've already got a freakin' puncture in the tread from what looks like a wood screw.

I guess I've been driving on it for a week. Last weekend I took a left turn/u turn in a fairly populated place and heard a distinct *pop* sound, but figured it was the tire going over a seam in the road.

The place I bought my tires from will patch it for free, but SHEESH I am sick of having to spend my time getting punctures fixed.

So, in the past 10 years, over 3 sets of tires, I've encountered:

1. Goodyear Eagle GT IIs - 4 punctures, with the last puncture being smack in the middle of the tread when the tire was worn down to the wear bars. I could have gotten another year or two out of those, but no shop would patch 'em (and rightfully so). I think 2 of those punctures were on the same tire, but in different spots.

2. Kumho Road Venture HTs - 2 punctures in 40k miles. I actually had to throw away one of the brand new tires that had less than 5K on them because I drove over a railroad crossing and a 1/2" x 3" hex bolt punctured my passenger rear tire. The tech at Wal Mart (nearest place I could go) said he couldn't fix it and put some sealant on it so I could go back home -- I was about 3 miles away when I heard the bolt fly out at 45MPH and my tire deflate almost instantaneously.

3. Kumho Road Venture KL51 - 1 puncture with
Maybe I should just ask the mods to tack this thread so I can keep a running count! BAH!

mad.gif

Last edited:
I rent a garage a block away for one of our cars. In 18 years of walking the alley to that garage I have picked up enough small metal screws, nails, and other items to fill up a 1/2 gallon jug.

It seams like every time there is a major thunder storm some roof from some house sheds some nail or screw that ends up in that alley. Also, contractors trucks seam to have them fall from the bed when they travel the alley.

It is amazing how much small metal is on the road.

I walk a lot for exercise and as a small contributionto the environment I pick up lead wheel weights. In about five years, I have picked up close to 15 pounds of these things, all along the same 10 miles or so of road. Now do the math for the roads all over the US and the amount of lead out there has to be staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back