Fram Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I run out to Auto Zone and pick up some PP and Tough Guard filter that is supposed to be on sale as a package deal, I though I would do some quick research. I know Fram has a bad name here, and I stopped using Fram probably 8 or 10 years ago. But this Tough Guard seems acceptable, no? I would stick with my Wix, but I want to switch to PP and the sale includes the TG filter. I did a search here on TG and get the impression that it is better than the regular Fram. Correct?

Thanks for any help.

can you return the filter afterwards with no receipt and get the "last sale price" for it? Sometimes places will allow this.

Even if you get 50c for it, youll be getting a further discount on the oil, even if it comes to a mere 10c/qt, and you can keep using your preferred Wix.

JMH

I noticed that deal on their store front yesterday. I am currently using a tough guard on my Mustang and it seems fine. No start up noise and quick oil pressure from a cold start and of course the sure grip surface makes installation much easier.

I don't actually have any of my Wix on hand, so would probably keep the TG if I take advantage of the sale.

Been using the Tough Guard Frams for years with good results.
The main grip about Fram centers around the orange can; cheaply made and there are others just as good for less money.

So I went to AZ. Pretty good deal. Five qts. Penzoil Platinum and TG filter for $19.95. Call it $4.00 a quart and filter thrown in for free. I got 10 qts. plus filters. Saved $34.90. I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: wbwanzer
So I went to AZ. Pretty good deal. Five qts. Penzoil Platinum and TG filter for $19.95. Call it $4.00 a quart and filter thrown in for free. I got 10 qts. plus filters. Saved $34.90. I'm happy.

You're only saving that much money because you're going by the already inflated autozone prices. Still its a decent deal considering the price of just the oil at walmart.

I got a similar deal on Valvoline SynPower 10W-30, last month, at AZ. The Fram Tough Guard filter was added to the deal. I plan on mixing 3 quarts of Valvoline SynPower with 2.5 quarts of Wal Mart Syn Tech full synthetic 5W-30 and 5 ounces of TufOil for my next OCI.

I have no problem using the Fram Tough Guard filter and have not seen one documented case of engine failure with the TG. I never plan to use the Fram OCOD with the cheap material that it is made from.

Their fine.

Most people don't like the cardboard endcaps.

The argument is usually why pay the price for a Fram when I can buy a better filter for the same price or cheaper.

ZZ about covered it. Though I wouldn't purchase it separately at the everyday prices I've seen, it is an upgrade from the orange can. Silicone adbv and better rated efficiency, similar in many ways to many of the current OEM's. As ZZ said, it's fine.

Originally Posted By: wbwanzer

Thats AWESOME!!! Id have done the samething and not even used the filters, still cheaper than a 5qt of PP with the filter anyway!!! Actually I guess Id cut up open. Stick with your Wix's please!

Quote:
Thats AWESOME!!!
Not to play can you top this, well sort of.
56.gif
Might want to check this out, and I won't cut that filter open until after I use it. Also note his post is 2&1/2 years old.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1923641&page=5

Whenever a oil deal at one of the autoparts stores includes a filter that I'm not sure I want to use on my vehicles, I just buy the size that fits my JD lawnmower. Game over!

From the media test a few years back, the TG filters were a little restrictive. If I wanted to use a Fram, I would use the Xtended Guard.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
From the media test a few years back, the TG filters were a little restrictive. If I wanted to use a Fram, I would use the Xtended Guard.
A 1 inch square .

You mean a swatch? That's how you test media. Schultz did it at PALL Filtration for Grease's study. You apply 10psi and record the flow. It doesn't give you the filter's flow potential and relative restriction/resistance, but does tell you the media density. When you factor the total square inches ..then you can make more informed comparisons.

I wonder how many people realise that quite a few OEM filters from the dealer are the cheapest Fram's with a different paint job and logo. Not to single out any particular car makers, but it's quite a common practice. The only oil filters I have experienced catastrophic failure with are 1) OEM Mazda and 2) Fram orange can of death, which are coincidentally the exact same filter. The problem around where I live (the GTA) is that Walmart and Cdn Tire have the monopoly on car maintenance products, and it's Fram or nothing these days.

Last edited:
What about the zillions of people who buy the fram filter and never have a problem with it.

What about the mechanics who only use fram because they think it is the best filter?

Has anyone seen news stories about fram filters blowing up engines? Neither have I.

Another filter may be better, but you won't see a problem with a fram..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back