1984 Vw Jetta Diesel Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new to me 1984 Jetta Diesel (no turbo) w/ 212,000 miles. I bought from the original owner's diesel mechanic when he willed it to him. The current fill is 10w-30 with a oem Mann filter which the mechanic changed right before I bought it. The manual calls for 10w-30,15w-40,and 20w-50. API Service CC or CD, which I don't even know what that is.

Noticed the car burns about 1qt of oil per 1000miles.
Starts and drives great and enjoying the 50mpg all the time!
Any Winter/Summer oil suggestions would be great. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Well-in MN I'd stick to the thinner stuff in winter, 10W30 or even a synthetic (if it doesn't increase the consumption too much), in summer 15W40, straight 30, or synthetic would be fine. CC/CD is the OLD diesel oil standard, everything now is CJ-4, CI-4+,even a lot of passenger car oils are at least CF. I wish my 300D only went through a qt every 1000-more like 400!

The manual is out of date, so I would ignore it entirely and just use a quality diesel-rated oil either conventional or synthetic. I'd run 15w40 in the hot months, something less viscous in the Minnesota winter.

I'd go with Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic, but that's becoming my default oil recommendation. However, this one is well backed by millions of miles of diesels in all sort of weather. You will appreciate the quicker oil flow in winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back