Pennzoil and Quaker State DEXOS Approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Pennzoil Platinum reformulated to meet Dexos specs, or did it already meet the specification?

According to Pennzoil Q&A here it states:

Question 7:
Was Pennzoil Platinum recently reformulated to meet GF-5?

Answer 7:
Yes, Pennzoil Platinum® is new for ILSAC GF-5 / API SN as changes to the new specification have required some new chemistry for advanced emissions system protection. This new product is available in the market already.

I believe that Pennzoil has done changes to their entire line when adding Pennzoil Ultra to the US market to meet GF-5 and be the market leader for the new specifications that will be coming to the industry.

Last edited:
pennzoil is usually a step ahead of everyone cept exxon mobil..running ultra in my car now

Per the article:
Valvoline Says No to dexos Licensing

The variable to solve the equation is: Don't buy a GM Vehicle.

Quote:
"Will Valvoline’s decision result in other oil companies following suit and resisting paying the dexos™ licensing fees? Although we have the utmost respect for Valvoline and its products and have no doubt in our mind that Valvoline motor oils will meet the dexos™ specifications and requirements as claimed, will this decision result in "shady" oil marketers not licensing their motor oils and claiming they do when in reality they may not? Will GM take a stance and state that the manufacturers warranty will be voided if non-licensed [dexos spec'd] motor oils are used? Only time will tell. It could be an interesting next six months or so."

Using the article's logic, "will [Valvoline's] decision result in "shady" oil marketers not licensing their motor oils and claiming they do when in reality they may not?"

Will it also cause:
Quote:
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I don't really care about dexos, but the way I look at it is if dexos really is better, then I would want the synthetic oil that meets the spec regardless of what I was using it in. Claiming you meet the specs without actually being licensed doesn't constitute proof.

The question becomes "how do you prove the customer changes oil using Valvoline and causes the engine failure", let alone that customer didn't change the oil frequent enough in the first place.

The only thing Valvoline will lose out is the OEM contract and GM dealer bulk supply contract. It's not like it is a big volume driver for Valvoline anyways, so they don't care.

2011 Cadillac's will have preventive maintenance programs included with purchase, so the customer will get DEXOS product paid by Cadillac for first 4 years or 50K miles.

It would be interesting to see what the requirement differences are between Dexos and BMW LL-01 and vw50x.x (whatever is current)

It seems like one good oil will meet the specs for all.

Quote:
Claiming you meet the specs without actually being licensed doesn't constitute proof.

The only thing a license proves is GM is making money of that oil, dexos is a way for them to get a piece of the action.

And by getting a piece of that action they are able to increase their revenue's and pay back their debts.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Claiming you meet the specs without actually being licensed doesn't constitute proof.
That's what I've been saying all along about the one-size-fits-all transmission fluids. Claiming it "meets" or is "suitable for" is not the same as being "approved".
Originally Posted By: Jason_M
2011 Cadillac's will have preventive maintenance programs included with purchase, so the customer will get DEXOS product paid by Cadillac for first 4 years or 50K miles.
That's assuming dealers will actually USE a Dexos-approved oil. Many dealers do not use factory-recommended oils NOW.

Last edited:
Wish Quaker State had synthetic with as much moly and boron as the High Mileage Dino they make or do they have something along this line already?

Originally Posted By: Jason_M

So, with the Oil Life monitor GM uses, that should give you...what...4 oil changes?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back