20w50 low temp range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aub

Can I get away using 20w50 with out doing damage at temps down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Reason I ask is I found a 20w50 oil with fair ZDDP numbers.

You might want to check the oil manufactures website and look at the product data sheet. You don't say what vehicle/engine but, a 20w50 oil is not usually used in any modern vehicle. I would imagine that start up wear would be bad at temps below 30 or 40F.

40 degrees is fine. Is there a reason you want 20w50? You could go for a 15w50 and get a bit more low-temp performance.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I would imagine that start up wear would be bad at temps below 30 or 40F.

A 0W at -40F is much thicker, yet most here only run 5W in automotive engines and get good life out of them.

thanks for the info. I will be trying this in an air cooled single cylinder motorcycle. I never ride if its colder than 40F out. Kendall GT1 20w50 it has better ZDDP levels than Yamalube, Suzuki,Kawichem, or Honda GN4 at half the price.

maybe so... but there's a lot more to a good oil than gobs of zinc/phos...

...that said, the Kendall is probably at least as good as the cycle branded oils you mention.

Dan

For an air-cooled single cylinder bike, it's hard to beat Rotella T 15w40. And it's good for as cold as you probably want to ride anyway.

Used it for years (ATVs/Bikes/Scooters/OPE/etc.), never a problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back