type of oil for a 2009 hyundai accent 4 cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rolled over 20k. I bought it with 8611 miles, it had an oil change at 10k by the place I bought it from, probably just used conventional oil. I had the oil changed next at 15k on the 15k mile check at the dealer, they said they used a synthetic blend and I'd be good for at least 5k.

I am thinking mobile 1 full synthetic and a mobile 1 filter..any thoughts?

Those cars like 10w30. I would use that grade in the summer and a 5w30 or 0w30 in the winter.

Mobil-1 is an excellent oil but the M1 filter may be too restrictive on this engine. You might want to use a Purolator Pure-One or OEM Hyundai filter which are cheap in price and both excellent filters.

Hyundai's can be fussy on filter.

Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum IMO is a great oil as well to try!

cheers3.gif
That's a bulletproof engine you have that will be good for many miles if treated right!
thumbsup2.gif

Who is making the OEM Hyundai filter?

Correct me if I'm wrong but that motor has the 10/100k warranty. I'd just stick to their recommended change schedule with a moderately priced oil and call it a day.

We run Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend (She short trips a lot) and a Hyundai Filter with 6 month changes (still under warranty) in my Mother's 2007 Accent.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Who is making the OEM Hyundai filter?

Correct me if I'm wrong but that motor has the 10/100k warranty. I'd just stick to their recommended change schedule with a moderately priced oil and call it a day.

I will correct you because my girlfriend found this out the hard way. A used Hyundai only has a 5 Year / 60K mile warranty Hyundai Warranty.

Only the original owner has the 10 year 100K mile warranty. MY GF bought a 1 year old Tiburon back in 05 (way before I met her) thinking she had an amazing warranty (and one of the reasons she bought the car), when stuff started to go wrong she was flabbergasted that she was not covered. Just be aware that the warranty for a new Hyundai is great, but used you will get a lot less covered.

OP, Mobil 1 will be a jump up from most semi-synthetic oils. There are also many great synthetic (and non-synthetic oils) out their. My advice would be to listen to some of the people like StevieC and try several different types of oil in your car. You will find one that you like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Those cars like 10w30. I would use that grade in the summer and a 5w30 or 0w30 in the winter.

Mobil-1 is an excellent oil but the M1 filter may be too restrictive on this engine. You might want to use a Purolator Pure-One or OEM Hyundai filter which are cheap in price and both excellent filters.

Hyundai's can be fussy on filter.

Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum IMO is a great oil as well to try!

cheers3.gif
That's a bulletproof engine you have that will be good for many miles if treated right!
thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. I am using 10w-30 Ultra and an OEM Hyundai filter right now and the engine is smooth and quiet as can be. FWIW, they also like SRT-6 5w-40 too.

To add to the filter pics, if you look in the inside of a Hyundai filter, it actually has the Hyundai "H" stamped in the metal. I can post pics if need be.

Last edited:
You people are awesome, thanks a ton for the advice!

For people that have this car, is it hard to change the oil yourself?

Originally Posted By: jonathag
You people are awesome, thanks a ton for the advice!

For people that have this car, is it hard to change the oil yourself?
Glad to help, and nope, piece of cake to change the oil!

So, if I have it right, mobile 1 is a good choice with an oem hyundai filter?

Newb question, but does mobile 1 full synthetic come in grades? And if it does, I should use 10w30 during the summer?

And change it every 3k?

I was a little concerned when I bought it with 8611 miles on it because I didn't know the oil change history, it was changed at 10k, then at 15k, now it just went over 20k. Is every 5k ok for this car?

The 10k oc was conventional oil, 15k was synthetic blend per the dealer. Don't want to ruin my baby's engine! I love my Karen...that's her name :)

I use M1 0w30 in mine, but I am a
short-tripper with 95% trips Runs quiet and smooth.
Oil is super easy to change, but
you will need a pair of ramps..

jringo

Originally Posted By: jonathag

Newb question, but does mobile 1 full synthetic come in grades? And if it does, I should use 10w30 during the summer?

Either M1 10w-30 or 5w-30 should be fine year round.

By the way, there is no 'e' in Mobil.

Quote:

And change it every 3k?

Only if you want to waste perfectly good oil. Once a year or every 10K miles, whichever comes first is what I would do, unless the warranty mandates more frequent changes.

6 months / 7500 mi is maximum for
Hyundai Accent warranty compliance.

owners manual says to use 5w20 or 5w30
in all climates, or 10w30 above zero degrees F

jringo

M1 at 7500-mile intervals would be perfect for this car.

Conventional or blended oils will do that interval as well, but I can understand wanting to 'baby' a new car.

If you're comfortable with the cost, go for it!

I am quickly becoming a fan of using lower viscosity oils such as 0/5w30 0/5w20, if it were my car I would use Motorcraft 5w20 synblend and run two 5k OCI and then UOA the second one to make sure the engine "likes" that oil.

AFA oil filters are concerned, any will work well, but my favorite is a good ol' Purolator Classic.

Our Accent Hatch loves Mobil 1, 0w30. I run it for 6 months, which will probably be 4k miles. The car is a "kid car", so I will assume my teens abuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back