Castrol Dexron VI vs. Valvoline Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Castrol being a synthetic blend and Valvoline being a full synthetic, are there any significant performance differences between the two? The fluid will be in service for 30,000 miles in my Mercedes, which calls for Dexron III.

The Castrol is on sale, buy 2 get 1 free, at my local AZ btw.

Last edited:
You'd be fine with either in that application. In general, though, I like Valvoline products better than Castrol.

Either will be fine for a 30K OCi. In fact Walmart ST 'formerly Dex 3' for $9.77 a gallon would be fine for 30K.

Valvoline Dex will be going in mine...any extra protection in this area with all the carzy drivers is worth it...

They are probably equals. Either should go 60K. I think the price special on the Castrol makes it a better choice.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Let us know how DEX VI works in a 93 Mercedes.

I'm a member of a few MB forums and some of the owners that have used it report better performance (some don't notice any difference) than with M1 ATF. Might be overkill using Dex VI, but I though I'd try it out this next ATF change.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Lol well probably, but mostly expensive unless we're just talking 4 qts of ST.

Yeah a drain & fill will get out 4qts, maybe a little more if the fluid was very hot. But even the ST Dex VI is a great fluid so I'm very sure that it can go 30k between changes. But for less than $20, I just like the insurance that I'm putting fresh fluid in. $20 vs a new/used tranny is a no brainer. With the age of my tranny, feeding it fresh fluid to keep the temp down is the best IMO.

My MB takes 5.8 Qts for a torque converter change and sump drain. Not that much actually. I think I'll get the Castrol that is on sale at AA.

Last edited:
Yes it makes sense since you'd probably need about 4 drain and refills over time to get 95+% change and you live in a hot climate.

The initial fill is 7.0 US qts and a fluid change is 5.8 qts.

There is a drain plug on the torque converter which makes changes pretty easy.

I have no idea where the 1.2 remaining qts. reside...maybe in the valve body channels and the pump?

Last edited:
Sounds like you are getting the equivalent of at least 2 to 3 drain and refills with the TC drain.

Sounds like you are getting the equivalent of at least 2 to 3 drain and refills with the TC drain.

What do you mean??
54.gif

Hi,
Oldwolf - Castrol makes an excellent ATF called Transmax Z - light green in colour, it is great in Benz and ZF transmissions. It may not be available in NA but it is about the very best there is in your application

I have used it for years! It is good for at least four years or around 100k as well!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf

What do you mean??
54.gif

I mean you are getting over 80% of the capacity of the old ATF out with the torque converter drain. Typically transmissions only drain half capacity and would need 2 to 3 drain and refills to get over 80% drained out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back