GM Introduces Dexos I and Dexos II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hitzy

Of course FE is what the consumer wants as well, but why doesn't GM build better engines/trannies/gearing then? Make lighter more aerodynamic cars?

I was an anti-GM guy way back before foreign cars were even in the picture, so I'm not a homer in sticking up for them. But to be completely fair, GM actually does make some amazingly efficient vehicles and drivetrains already. If you make a fair comparison of almost any GM vehicle to its competitors (ie don't compare a Yukon to a Highlander), the GM vehicle will frequently be more efficient. Or at least a tie. Which makes me all the more baffled by this fixation on the oil to eke out a tiny bit more efficiency.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Hitzy

Of course FE is what the consumer wants as well, but why doesn't GM build better engines/trannies/gearing then? Make lighter more aerodynamic cars?

I was an anti-GM guy way back before foreign cars were even in the picture, so I'm not a homer in sticking up for them. But to be completely fair, GM actually does make some amazingly efficient vehicles and drivetrains already. If you make a fair comparison of almost any GM vehicle to its competitors (ie don't compare a Yukon to a Highlander), the GM vehicle will frequently be more efficient. Or at least a tie. Which makes me all the more baffled by this fixation on the oil to eke out a tiny bit more efficiency.

True...the 3.8s are great on gas....

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Testing the water to determine how much leverage is available with the new masters.

Huh?

True...the 3.8s are great on gas.... [/quote]

I think they no longer sell the 3.8.

You would think GM would concentrate on what caused their bankruptcy...like bad intake gasket design...

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
{snip}If everyone would follow my suggestion that no car needs more than 120hp, then there wouldnt be the draw for super-power-dense engines, CAFE wouldnt be an issue, and API SM would be good enough for >80%.{snip}

Did you follow your own advice when you bought your last new car, VW I believe?
56.gif

I can guarantee that I would have bought the 100hp version if it was sold, absolutely. I would have also bought the TDI version if available, without thinking twice.

The Fit is garbage, IMO, and what else has a size and utility like what we bought? One of those ugly scion boxes? Put those dinky engines in the Rabbit's sheetmetal and Im a happy camper.

Or bad intermediate steering shafts. Or warping rotors. Or bad front shock bushings.

I've personally had steering shaft replaced twice and "re-greased" twice. Still is a piece of junk. The only solution is buy one from Flaming River to the tune of $439.

This was the only reason I wouldn't buy a Chevy car when my wife needed a sedan. GM needs to get a clue.

Last edited:
""trying to iron out this issue they've created""

the above from Kestas- I think you hit the nail on the head.

The only GM vehicle in my immediate future is another Corvette-My wife has driven Tahoes over the last decade and a half and loves them. I will be steering her toward the Toyota dealership on the next purchase

Steve

I think the regulations on oil to help improve mpg is a good thing, but it shouldn't be done at the expense of engine protection. Hopefully, they get their act straigt and accomplish both.

I also think that regulations to force auto makers to improve overall mpg to say 30mpg by 2015 is also a good thing. Without this pressure, auto makers will never step up and improve the technology. US Auto makers have been in bed with the gas companies too long. There is no reason for any car to still be getting less than 25mpg or even 30mpg. It would be nice to one day see a full sized truck get 35mpg and still have a ton of power. I think the oil/auto makers need to wise up to the fact that they cannot get there by oil changes alone.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Realistically, what is the improvement in fuel economy with these new oils - 0.5%*? I can't get too excited over that. My "napkin" calculation shows that it saves roughly one gallon of gas per oil change. Big whoop.

Multiply that number by every car in America.

[quote=360kid US Auto makers have been in bed with the gas companies too long.

Almost everybody is in bed with somebody...the question is who is your Congressperson in bed with....?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Great. It's going to be Dexcool oil!

You beat me to the punch. I will suspend judgment on the quality of the stuff until we see some indications of how it performs, and I'm sure we will... That said, I reeeeeeally wish it didn't have "Dex" in the name. I know that's raw guilt by association, but still. . .

Originally Posted By: pbm

True...the 3.8s are great on gas....

I think they no longer sell the 3.8.

You would think GM would concentrate on what caused their bankruptcy...like bad intake gasket design...
[/quote]

I think the unions were 100 times more effective at causing the bankruptcy than the leaking intake gaskets.

Quote:
Why do GM fluids start with Dex? Dexcool, Dexron, Dexos. Is some dude in the fluid engineering department named Dexter or something?

Haven't you ever seen the Cartoon, "Dexter's Laboratory"?
grin2.gif

Dexter's my hero.
thumbsup2.gif
However, I never could figure out why he speaks with a Russian accent?
06.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The price if oil is going UP, UP, UP.

But if manufacturers and stealerships get honest about oil drain intervals, including re-programming the oil life monitors, the oil change cost per mile can go down with these superior oils.

I don't think 'coventional oils' such as they are, will meet Dexos.

I think all GM's will start needing syn oils.....

Yeah, didn't think of that. Kind of surprised that Ultra doesn't have it, though. Really surprised that Mobil 1 is not advertising it or GF-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back