zinc/ZDDP question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I'm new to this site and I already have found a lot of helpful information. I became interested in lubrication ever since I was moved to the automotive department at Farm and Fleet. I've learned alot there and from this site.
I own quite a few antique tractors and I've been searching the site for information on the lower zinc levels in the new oils. I know I could go to using diesel oil but I have about 3 cases of Valvoline 10w-40 I bought for them. Any information would be appriciated.

Thanks, Austin

Does anyone know how much of the Lucas zinc additive to use? I already searched and if seems two or three oz. would be enought.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Thanks. Anyone know how much of the Lucas zinc additive to add to oil? Another question other than zinc is valvoline a good oil for my tractors?

More details on your tractor is needed.

We are waiting for an analysis in another thread for STP Oil Treatment, apparently the new formulation is different and it may contain high ZINC so you might want to wait before adding the Lucas.

Follow the directions on the LUCAS if you want to use it now.

cheers3.gif

Lets see I have a 1943 and 1946 Case VAC, 1968 Minneapolis Moline U302, a 1946 Ford 8N, and 3 more Cases that don't run

I doubt the valvetrain components are stressed like a high output Corvette engine.
Common modern engine oils should be just fine.

Just for a point of reference, the spec for the valve springs on my 1941 John Deere is 35-39 lbs at 2" length. These things were designed to run for decades on non detergent, no or minimal additive oil.

Ed

So the any modern detergent oil and maybe a little more zinc will be perfectly fine for all antique tractors?

You can consider running Rotella T 15W-40 oil rated for diesel engines. It purportedly has high levels of ZDDP. This is what the classic car crowd uses for their flat tappet engines.

I'll be using Rotella T5 10W-30 in my John Deere. Not so much for the extra anti-wear, but for the cleaning and increased corrosion protection offered by a HDEO. It'll sit around a lot, and likely will go several years between oil changes.

The Rotella Triple Protection 10W-30 would be fine too. The T5 is easier for me to find, and it's appropriate for every engine I have except the Triumph, which calls for a 15W-50 full synthetic.

Ed

Thanks for the information guys. I know this thread is in the wrong spot and I'm probably sounding repetative. So one last question. Should Valvoline 10w-40 work fine until I use it up and am able to switch over to Rotella?

Originally Posted By: edhackett
These things were designed to run for decades on non detergent, no or minimal additive oil.

Did they even have addatives in the 30's and 40's? I'm guessing no or very little. I bet any oil even SM has much more antiwear addatives than the oils did back then.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
You can consider running Rotella T 15W-40 oil rated for diesel engines. It purportedly has high levels of ZDDP. This is what the classic car crowd uses for their flat tappet engines.

I went to Shell's web site and could not find a spec sheet regarding the amount of ZDDP in Rotella.

Does anyone have a link to that information?

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: edhackett
These things were designed to run for decades on non detergent, no or minimal additive oil.

Did they even have addatives in the 30's and 40's? I'm guessing no or very little. I bet any oil even SM has much more antiwear addatives than the oils did back then.

Yes they did! Cat starting asking for "Series 3" oils in the late 30s, which are CD oils: very high in detergency and TBN, mild to moderate in dispersancy. These oils are still made - i.e. Chevron Delo 300
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77109&docFormat=PDF

Charlie

Originally Posted By: aking
Does anyone know how much of the Lucas zinc additive to use? I already searched and if seems two or three oz. would be enought.

yup, if I remember right 1.5 to 2 oz per regular oil change (4.5 quarts) should boost a lower ZDDP oil to optimal levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back