MMO and synthetics-my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I finally had a chance to use a synthetic with MMO and did a UOA. I know that all engines are different and the miles may vary but in my case the MMO+synthetic combo would only go for 5500 miles max. So here are my recommendations for those who want to clean their engines

1) Use a dino oil with MMO and go with a 3k OCI

2) If you use synthetic, you a cleaning synthetic like Pennzoil Plat with MMO and run it for around 4k

3) If you feel that your engine is clean while using a synthetic, add a pint of MMO towards the last 500-1000miles of your OCI

I think option #1 sounds like the best combo - but i'm cheap anyway. Using MMO for the full OCI and changing it at 3k (maybe less on a very dirty engine) there's no sense in using a Syn. for such a short cleaning run.

Although I have to admit, i've used Option #3 as well - and it worked fine. The oil did noticably darken after the MMO was added so it did clean something that the Syn. didn't cut.

Good info, it has been noted MMO lowers TBN, and in the handful of UOA's I've seen with it the wear numbers were very good. People looking to clean an engine would be foolish to do an extended drain. I'd want the junk that MMO freed up out of my engine, not in there for an extended interval.

5,000 miles would be my self imposed limit if I were using synthetic oil with MMO. JMO

Interesting. I have a 5 qt. jug of Supertech 10w/30 Synthetic left over from another vehicle that I have been planning to put into my 97 Toyota 4runner with the 3.4L V6 which calls for 5w/30 year round. Obviously this isn't that much of a thicker oil than specified but I was thinking I'd add .75 of a qt. to the synthetic 10w/30 to bring the cold viscosity down some.

Still a decent idea? I would only plan on running this mix for around 3k miles since I'd like to put in another fill with a good synthetic or just good old Penzoil dino 5w/30 with a can of Lubro Moly for the fall and early winter.

At operating temps the 5W-30 and 10W-30 should be about the same. Using the MMO with the 10W-30, especially in winter where you are, should help cold oil to flow a bit better when starting the engine, perhaps more like the 5W-30 oil that is recommended.

Personally, I like using HDEO (80%) with MMO (20%) for 3,000 miles each.
thumbsup2.gif

I heard and can't back it up by factual information and so I thought I would post it here to start the discussion on it that MMO shouldn't be used on a consistent basis as it can cause damage to the bearings by making them run hot and that it can also strip much needed lubrication from metal to metal contact parts by diluting the viscous oil film.

I haven't heard anything negative about using it in the fuel though, except that it can wreak havoc with some of the more advanced oxygen sensors that are found in some premium brands like Lexus and Mercedes.

Before anyone flames me, let me just say that I like the MMO product very much and have used it with excellent results but I'm just opening this up for a discussion.

I bet I know who told you so, but it will cost you a membership fee, and I can't post it here. LOL.

I'll have to mention that to my HS buddy and his father who have used it in just about everything they've owned at every OCI. His dad since the 1940's IIRC and him since the 1970's. I told the story of his Toyota what it looked like under the VC I helped him replace. Clean was an understatement. If it was killing bearings his engine would have died long before we changed his VC gasket. YMMV

The other thing is with well over an 80 year history the www would be flooded with stories of dead engines.

BTW no flames from me!

No actually I read this on some Hyundai Forums it wasn't Terry.

Thanks, that is the kind of information I was looking for and I trust you from the conversations we have had via PM etc.

cheers3.gif

I would always support my postings where possible, I have nothing to hide only things to learn and I'm not here with a hidden agenda I just call things like I see them and am honest in every way possible.

If Terry had told me that I would have told you so because I believe in Terry and his service, others don't and that's fine but I know that he hasn't steered me wrong and has been right on all occasions with his advice so I stick by him until I see evidence otherwise.

Good to be back, missed this place and it's way better than cable because there is always something good on!
lol.gif

You're a straight shooter. I don't know Terry, haven't had a need for his service, and hopefully won't. I'm driving and fixing cars longer than a good % of members here have been living. No blown engines, no major problems, so something is working right for me. I have learned a lot here though, and enjoy being a member.

Because I do this for a hobby and I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about oil is why I retain Terry's services at the moment. I have learned a ton from the way oil interacts with the engine and what effects driving and climate have on the engine as well as engine design.

Once I have learned all I can from him I will most likely just do the cheap Toromont-Cat UOA's at $16 each here/there to keep an eye on my engine for coolant leaks or excessive fuel dilution or impending doom from a spike in the metal trends I see.

I also really like Terry's blog there is really great information there without all the rhetoric and folklore you sometimes see here.

Each place has it's good points but sometimes I like Terry's blog better because you can cut to the chase and get right down to the scientific information that members post.

I guess I have a different take on engine longevity because I'm of a frugal mindset (where it makes sense to do so) and I use my engine to make me money and the longer I can run it without having to spend a dime is right in my book and if I can learn at the same time that's even better!
wink.gif

Knowledge is power!!!!!!!
grin2.gif

I use my engines to make money too, currently the oldest of my fleet is 1988, still going strong. Typically everything falls apart around the engine in my vehicles, something that TD's service can't help me with.

I agree knowledge is power, so is money! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back