Starting to use MMO in fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: keesue
I just added Seafoam to my induction system through a vacuum port along with the spray foam through the throttle body. I let it sit for about 15 minutes to soak. When I fired up the engine, holy smokes (pun intended) did the car smoke. I drove it and it smoked for a good 10 minutes on the highway until it completely cleared up.

That smoke is nothing but the light aromatic oils from the MMO burning off ...it's not doing any substantial cleaning of note.

I thought the purpose of Seafoam was to clean the valves and combustion chamber, or is that not correct or did I misunderstand? I did see different colors of smoke: white mixed with black and a very slight smidge of blue. I believe the black was carbon? As the exhaust cleared, the engine sure ran better.

Perhaps I could be wrong, but after 29 years of owning the car, I have a pretty fair handle on how it runs so I don't think it was placebo.

While Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane, and Red Line SL-1 all have high concentrations of PEA detergent that are proven effective at cleaning those carbon deposit out.

Even if it does no cleaning at all, it's still worth the price of the MMO for the purposes of a UCL - that it does do. Rich Kelley on the MMO Forum recommends using a good cleaner first - then MMO to follow. Maybe it would clean off the carbon by itslef, maybe not. Either way, once it's clean then the MMO will help to keep it clean.

BTW, I spend more at McDonalds than I do on a quart of MMO - so it's not like people are spending a fortune on this stuff anyway. Even if they were - so what! It's their Money... Worth it to me for piece of mind alone.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris

You come into every thread about the MMO and discourage other BITOG users from using it. Do you have any experience with it? If not, you really can not offer an educated advice, can you?

Because I hate to see a person throw their money down the drain on something that can't prove it has effective carbon cleaning agents in it, while for the same price or less you can get a proven product that WILL actually do SUBSTANTIAL CLEANING.

MMO simply can't claim that...While Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane, and Red Line SL-1 all have high concentrations of PEA detergent that are proven effective at cleaning those carbon deposit out.

So any first hand experience with MMO? Yes, no? How's Techron or Redline as far as lubing the gas pump or UCL? Kerosene and PEA do not make a good lubricant.
I use Techron once a year, but run MMO a year round to keep the fuel system clean and lubed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: keesue
I just added Seafoam to my induction system through a vacuum port along with the spray foam through the throttle body. I let it sit for about 15 minutes to soak. When I fired up the engine, holy smokes (pun intended) did the car smoke. I drove it and it smoked for a good 10 minutes on the highway until it completely cleared up.

That smoke is nothing but the light aromatic oils from the MMO burning off ...it's not doing any substantial cleaning of note.

Like I said, you seem to have an anti-MMO agenda.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a gasoline study with MMO. MMO used to say it would help as an UCL when added to diesel. Then a study came out and showed it made it worse. They then removed the recommendation. I'd like to see something verify it actually does have UCL properties.

I'm on my 2nd gallon using it in gas and have seen zero difference other than a slight MPG hit when going over 4oz/10gal.

I've used both MMO and TC-W3 in gas. I think the latter is the better choice. Cheaper as well if you use the walmart brand.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'd like to see a gasoline study with MMO. MMO used to say it would help as an UCL when added to diesel. Then a study came out and showed it made it worse. They then removed the recommendation. I'd like to see something verify it actually does have UCL properties.

I'm on my 2nd gallon using it in gas and have seen zero difference other than a slight MPG hit when going over 4oz/10gal.

MMO does not comply with federal low sulfur content requirements for use in model year 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

That's probably why they don't recommend it any more.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: badtlc

MMO does not comply with federal low sulfur content requirements for use in model year 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

That's probably why they don't recommend it any more.

Right. The fact they removed the recommendation the same time as it was documented that it had a negative affect on diesel lubricity was just coincidence.

Could be, as I mentioned I don't own a diesel, but MMO has worked wonders in oil and gas for me. YMMV

Could be, as I mentioned I don't own a diesel, but MMO has worked wonders in oil and gas for me. YMMV

How do you "know" this to be true. Can you show us the SAE tests to prove it?
20.gif

20.gif

Nope. I have perfectly clean, good running engines, one over 22 years old. I've saved fuel floats, freed lifters, saved friends tons of money in repairs, cleaned engines, and witnessed it raising compression in a boat engine. I used the product and know it works. No kick backs here.

Have you tried it? Have you seen engines in the 85+ years the product has been on the market damaged by it? Do you have SAE tests proving it doesn't work? Or do you just like to attack me from time to time? You've taken shots.

I've been working on engines since the 1970's, and using MMO that long. I have no agenda, I share info, good, and bad. If you don't like me, or my posts I suggest you ignore me.
56.gif
Or if you can, show proof the product is inferior, post it.

20.gif

How do you *know* that it isnt? Can you show us the SAE tests to prove it?
20.gif

OK, here is my story. A year ago, my 2001 A4 (1.8T) had issues when starting up in the morning. Like, if i let it sit overnight, 1st attempt to start it would fail, 2nd was OK. It did crank on 1st, but died.

I posted questions on VW forums, the suspects were injectors, the fuel pump, the pump relay, you name it... Replaced the injector seals, the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter... no luck.

Then, on this site, I learned about MMO. So, I gave it a try, in fuel. And the stupid car suddenly would start up on 1st attempt. And I posted this on those forums, where I asked about the issue, but, I said that I was not sure why the MMO would help. And I thought at that time - it was just an coincidence.

So, I would add MMO from time to time, maybe every 2nd fill-up, and 2 months ago I switched to Lucas UCL, just to see... A month after that, start-up issue came back. I came up with the verdict (again, after going to VW forums)- the fuel pump relay, which is supposed to start the pump before the car cranks... No luck...

Then, trying to recall what I did last time, I said - well, I still have some MMO left, why don't I... and BANG! The engine starts now with no problems, again.

I am still puzzled, why? My theory is that the MMO probably lubricates the injectors and the check-valve, so that they close fully when the gasoline flow stops, and they don't leak. I have no other explanation, but just for fun, I am going to fill it up with no MMO, and see if the issue comes back.

Nice report! Your reasoning as to why MMO is working seems valid to me. Where is the SAE papers proving that MMO helped? LOL. I'm kidding, it is these kind of stories that have more impact on me, than someone trying to sell product ramming a sales pitch down my throat.

I had bought a used car many years ago that had a gas float hanging up. After getting a price to do the job, or having to drop the tank myself I decided to just fill the car every 200 miles. I started treating the gas with MMO and after a short while the gas gauge started working and stayed working till I sold the car. The previous owner noted when he sold the car the gauge hadn't worked for years. One of many success stories I had with MMO.

MMO is a great product. I have done my own testing too and there is a definite difference in the way my truck runs with MMO in the fuel. I also found a very goood way to transport MMO to the gas station. I found an empty new style Gumout fuel injector cleaner bottle, the one for the 2x concentrated formula. It holds 6 ounces and that is what I use for my MMO dose. I always fill up when my gas gauge gets to 1/4 tank and it takes 15 gallons to fill up from 1/4 tank. I have done some testing and found that for my truck, MMO works a little better with Shell 87 fuel, and at the MMO recommended dose of 4 ounces to every 10 gallons, or in my case 6 ounces to 15 gallons of fuel.

I am tracking my gas mileage on www.fuelly.com and have been using Shell 87 and 4 ounces MMO to 10 gallons of fuel for a couple of months now. I am getting 18.5 MPG with the Shell fuel and MMO. I have been getting consistently better MPG with Shell than I did with Chevron/Texaco and Sunoco. I did my own tests on fuel brands too. I think there must be a different but beneficial reaction with the additives in Shell fuel and MMO than with other brands of gas.

The bashers can say what they want but MMO is good stuff and I will keep using it as long as they keep making it. I only wish I had discovered MMO sooner.

Originally Posted By: Nik
OK, here is my story. A year ago, my 2001 A4 (1.8T) had issues when starting up in the morning. Like, if i let it sit overnight, 1st attempt to start it would fail, 2nd was OK. It did crank on 1st, but died.

I posted questions on VW forums, the suspects were injectors, the fuel pump, the pump relay, you name it... Replaced the injector seals, the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter... no luck.

Then, on this site, I learned about MMO. So, I gave it a try, in fuel. And the stupid car suddenly would start up on 1st attempt. And I posted this on those forums, where I asked about the issue, but, I said that I was not sure why the MMO would help. And I thought at that time - it was just an coincidence.

So, I would add MMO from time to time, maybe every 2nd fill-up, and 2 months ago I switched to Lucas UCL, just to see... A month after that, start-up issue came back. I came up with the verdict (again, after going to VW forums)- the fuel pump relay, which is supposed to start the pump before the car cranks... No luck...

Then, trying to recall what I did last time, I said - well, I still have some MMO left, why don't I... and BANG! The engine starts now with no problems, again.

I am still puzzled, why? My theory is that the MMO probably lubricates the injectors and the check-valve, so that they close fully when the gasoline flow stops, and they don't leak. I have no other explanation, but just for fun, I am going to fill it up with no MMO, and see if the issue comes back.

Nice "story" Nik.

Do you work for MMO?
20.gif

Yes I know I'm so unreasonable for wanting to see controlled tests that prove that MMO actually DOES what people "CLAIM" it does.

Show me the SAE tests and I'll stop posting here.
21.gif

Last edited:
Vizzy, I don't. I am in Vancouver, Canada, and I have no interests in that company. I work as a chem. eng. and I have always looked at many claims with suspicion, especially at chemicals that do miracles. I just tried to explain myself first, why MMO changed the way my car starts, and wanted to share with you guys. My experience with oils and lubrication is slim, I work in different area of ChE; my advice, if I ever give some, is free, and it's worth exactly that much when it comes to my experience with oils and additives for cars.

BTW, ChEs are not going to stand behind the product without some disclaims. Just too risky for someone's professional status.

Last edited:
I have had similar experiences with MMO being a great product the only concern I had was that it might be bad for the Catalytic system but there is a member on here that has been running it for almost 30 years and he hasn't had any problems with his Catalytic on that vehicle so that changed my mind.

That's my concern too, it has R-Cl in it. And that's why I stopped using it, although I know that, when diluted by several 100's by volume, it is minuscule concentration. But so is the amount of "catalyst poison" enough to ruin the catalyst. It also depends on - in what form Chlorine atom is, in the exhaust mixture. I used to run it every 2nd fill up.

It did not solve my lifer noise, and I said that few months ago, here. Vizzy may not be happy to hear that :), but, what can I say - it didn't help the lifter issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back