Kendall GT-1 Blend vs. Valvoline vs. Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun...

The 2010 Mazda 3i is due for an oil change very soon. This car sees about 8,000 miles a year and most trips are between five to seven miles in length. Current mileage is around 8,500 miles, and the last two changes at 3k and 6k were done at the dealer using a 5w-20 from a local bulk oil distributor.

Mazda recommends a 4 mo/5,000 mile oil change interval for severe service and 6 mo/7,500 mile oil change interval for normal service. The recommended oil is SAE 5w-20 API SM with no other requirements.

As you can tell, I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles for maximum protection. After a disappointing experience from a local dealer, I have decided to have a different shop change the oil this time. Here are the choices:

Firestone: Kendall GT-1 Liquid Titanium Blend 5w-20 and Firestone (Champs) Filter: $19.99
Sears: Valvoline Premium Conventional 5w-20 and Powerflo (Purolator) Filter: $19.99
Jiffy Lube: Pennzoil 5w-20 and Performax (Purolator) Filter: $30.99
Dealer: Castrol GTX 5w-20 and Mazda OE Filter: $29.99 (coupon special, normally $39.99)

Which one would you choose and why?

(And no, I am not changing it myself. I have not had issues with the Sears and Firestones in this area either.)

MM, not sure how the new Kendall Liquid Titanium "tests-out", but they do a fine job on the MC oils for Ford...I'd give that a shot IMHO :)

Since they're all dino or blend, Firestone and Sears are the better values. I don't know what the Firestone filter is, but if it's a Champion E-core, I'd go for Sears just to get the more robust filter, which to me is quite important.

You seriously should change it yourself. $10.50 per synthetic change, tax included.

I'd go with either of the first two b/c they're using good oils and they're simply better values. Personally I'd probably go with Sears just b/c they're a good company that have treated me well in the past.

BTW, if the manufacturer says to go 4mo/5000 miles for severe driving, then I really don't think you're sacrificing maximum protection by pushing your OCI out past 3k miles. But obviously it's about what you're comfortable with and what you prefer for your vehicle

Originally Posted By: sicko
I'd go with either of the first two b/c they're using good oils and they're simply better values. Personally I'd probably go with Sears just b/c they're a good company that have treated me well in the past.

BTW, if the manufacturer says to go 4mo/5000 miles for severe driving, then I really don't think you're sacrificing maximum protection by pushing your OCI out past 3k miles. But obviously it's about what you're comfortable with and what you prefer for your vehicle

It's my friend's car, and she plans to keep it for a while. Mazda does recommend 4 months or 5,000 miles for severe service, but it has been almost four months since the last oil change and this fill doesn't even have 2500 miles on it. It takes about five months to accumulate 3,000 miles, so I figured that 3,000 miles is a good number to stick to as it allows the service visits to coincide with the required intervals for other maintenance items.

3month/3k, last two eliminated immediately because of price.

Flip a coin between 1 and 2 unless one place provides better/more reliable service. All other things being equal, I'd give the edge to the Kendall GT. But again 3k, makes little difference.

Is Valvoline using the Lubrizol HyperZDP additives in all of their oils? If so, that may be one reason to use their product.

Persoanlly, I'd use the Firestone Kendall GT-1 change.

It's inexpensive, and C-P seems to be putting a lot of effort into making Kendall a good oil, so I'd imagine it's one of the 'stouter' choices on your list.

Unscientific, I know, but you asked......

I would go with the $19.99 specials at SEARS or Firestone, leaning toward the Firestone with the Kendall GT-1(just my 2cents). Although both oils are held in high reguard here at BITOG, the C/P oils seem to have the edge. But, between the two filters(Champs/Puro), I would take the Puro for the same reason(just an edge). After much searching here at BOB's, the Champs insides seem to be an E-Core with soft, but not cardboard end caps. Read next paragraph below.

When my daughter bought her 06 Mazda 3i 2.0 liter 4spd auto in Aug 09, the used car dealer had the oil changed prior to her taking delivery at, a muffler/brake shop down the street from his dealership. It was a CHAMPS filter(don't know what oil). I changed the oil again 4,000 miles later while keeping on the CHAMPS filter for a 2nd change. When I finaly pulled the filter for the 3rd change(another 4K)in which I installed a PuroPremPlus(Classic), I cut open the CHAMPS filter and posted my results here(without pictures) with much written detail. To make a long story short, the CHAMPS filter looked great inside after 8,000 miles(2 OCI's) even though it had soft end caps but, weren't cardboard IIRC. And seemed to be an E-Core design.

I have also cut open Purolator filters of many application #'s and they all looked great too! Looking at the two filters insides, they both looked the same as far as filtration media. Nice pleats!

You can always do better for your 20 bucks or less by buying your own oil/filter. For less than $20, you can get the better of both worlds with one of the autoparts stores "In Store Oil/Filter Specials" but, I thing you know this.

I would go with the Valvoline White Bottle for $19.99. Good price changed, good oil that will stand up very well to your 3,000 mile of short trips.

My second choice would be the Kendal GT-1. I know my aunt uses this brand in her Honda Civic which she beats the snot out of with her driving habits (Bad habits) and the engine is now well over 300K KM's (180K miles) and doesn't burn or leak any oil.

I have a 2008 Ford Explorer V6 as a company car. It now has 45K miles on it and has been going to my local Firestone for oil changes and other recommended service every 5K miles. It has received nothing but the Kendall you are considering since changing the factory fill at 5K miles.

I am in the habit of checking the oil myself just before (and after) I take in in for service just to see how the level and color is. Everytime I check the oil it looks almost as if it is new oil and it has never consumed any oil the best I can tell. This is anecdotal eveidence only, but I have been very please with both the Kendall GT1 and Firestone. Hope helpful.

I'd go with door #1.

I've used Kendall GT-1 Full Syn in the Miata in the past and it seemed like a great oil at a great price. I would use any of their oils in a heartbeat. For your OCIs, I'm sure the Champion filter would work just fine as well.

Again, unscientific, but that would be my choice.

Gary

I've used Firestone for a few years when my wife and I lived in an apartment. We always had good experience. Most of the time we would get a coupon for $16.99 oil change.

Personally I would choose between choice 1 and choice 2. Valvoline and ConocoPhillips motor oils are well made and quality assured for your engine. The Champs filter will be E-Core or metal endcaps. Purolator have always contain metal endcaps.

Seems like everyone is in favor of the CP product. Has anyone seen this presentation?

http://www.gf-5.com/uploads/File/Hyper_ZDP_System_Powerpoint.pdf

It seems like Lubrizol's new HyperZDP system can potentially improve catalyst life and deliver better sludge/deposit reduction. If you look at the pictures in the presentation, it appears as though the Lubrizol product will reduce deposit buildup in comparison to the reference GF-4 oil that did not contain HyperZDP.

All are very close in quality. 3,000 miles is far too conservative of a drain interval in this engine IMO.

Looks like the summary of the used oil analysis are the same. Is there a wear difference? Notice they are using oil analysis.

Just noticed that Pep Boys is offering bottled Pennzoil 5w-20 and a Purolator Classic Filter for $19.99.

But it's Pep Boys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back