Coolant from the Weep hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.

I do hope I can get another Month out of it.

If it fails while im on the road, what will happen?

This so i will know..

Will Coolant temp shoot up, and i shall pull over and let cool down as Coolant will not move, basically?

And is it working "Less" while Weeping from this Hole?

Last edited:
how much is coming out? if it's just wet but not dripping you will more then likely be good for a couple of weeks, if it's more then that then it needs to go asap. most likely if you lose enough coolant to bring the level below the sensor it will peg out on the hot end. since it is summer i would just replace it.

if it fails while you drive you will overheat, or lose all your coolant. If it overheats turn on your heater to maxx, and find a safe place to pull over.

Mine did that on the Z28 for a while. Then I came out of W-Mrt one lunchtime trip and saw that my WP had puked all over the parking lot. Had to have it towed home and did the replacement myself.

You're on borrowed time. Plan accordingly.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
If i see Coolant dripping from the Weep Hole of the Water Pump, or just from the Water Pump it has to be a Weep Hole, this means my Water Pump needs replaced, Right?

No it means you should go to the store and buy Coolant Stop-Leak in great amounts and pour it in and clog up your radiator, heater-core and your coolant pathways in the engine!

lol.gif
(J/K)

Yeah, you need a water-pump replacement bud!
frown.gif

In my experience, once it starts weeping, it'll shortly turn into a gusher. You can't predict how long that would take. Replace it at your earliest convenience. Consider yourself lucky you can drive it home to where you can repair it.

+1. Change it now before you lose coolant and run the engine hot. Even if you don't fully over heat it, it's still not good for the gaskets.

Yes.
But...
Water pumps are funny. I have seen many with leaks that fixed themselves. Many with deposits there from leaking and they were also good for years more.
I have seen old water pumps with 1/2 play at the fan NOT leak, and brand new ones leak.

A little leak won't kill you while you get parts and materials together, and carefully plan your swap.

Speaking of driving with a leak, my dad's 1989 2000 GTX (Mitsubishi) had a leaking water pump from the weep hole and he drove it like that for almost 100K KM's and just kept topping up the radiator because he kept saying, I will fix it when it gets worse.

He sold it like that and we aren't sure if the guy who bought it fixed it or just put up with it.
wink.gif

I had forgotten about that until you just reminded me...

True but what I've seen happen most often, like Kestas mentioned, is a small leak suddenly turn into a gusher unexpectantly without warning. A waterpump should not leak any appreciable amount and if it does, continuing running it is a gamble.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Oh yeah, I agree with you... Just wanted to share an experience is all and how crazy these leaks can be.

cheers3.gif

I too had a Water Pump that once leaked, then stopped leaking. All by itself.

thumbsup2.gif

To avoid a meltdown, fix it . You can prevent a serious trouble by carrying a coupla jugs of 50/50 coolant, or just plain water in the summer. I ran my 528e for a week commuting to work, with a moderately leaky WP. It used a 1/2 gallon of water per trip. YMMV!

Originally Posted By: andyd
To avoid a meltdown, fix it . You can prevent a serious trouble by carrying a coupla jugs of 50/50 coolant, or just plain water in the summer. I ran my 528e for a week commuting to work, with a moderately leaky WP. It used a 1/2 gallon of water per trip. YMMV!

Yes, replace the water pump!
I have had similar issues with water pumps leaking. Drove the vehicles for quite a while with the pump leaking until I got around to fixing/replacing the pump. Even drove some distances with the pumps this way. I didn't care about the vehicles which is why I kept driving. I never had the vehicle strand me although I kept the coolant topped off and carried extra coolant in the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: andyd

Yes, replace the water pump!
I have had similar issues with water pumps leaking. Drove the vehicles for quite a while with the pump leaking until I got around to fixing/replacing the pump. Even drove some distances with the pumps this way. I didn't care about the vehicles which is why I kept driving. I never had the vehicle strand me although I kept the coolant topped off and carried extra coolant in the vehicle.

And the Coolant was coming out from the Water Pumps and not due to a Head Gasket issue, right?

Whenever Coolant goes down, i think "Oh no time to get some Sealer for the Head Gasket." However, my car doesnt show any Head Gasket symptoms, and it doesnt overheat, runs normal Temp, just "Holds" heat for awhile after shut down.

However, i need to see if the dripping stopped, it maybe did maybe didnt, and yes im doing the Water thing. Want to make it Antifreeze soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back