Does a clean Valvetrain 'really' mean maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The valvetrain is visible through the oil filler cap on most cars. All that is needed is a flashlight. Varnish, sludge, and the color of camshaft lobes are all mostly within sight. I bought a car about 6 months ago with no maintenance record. Upon replacing the timing belt, I had the pleasure of seeing a golden, metallic hue. The lobes were silver and the valve cover clean of any varnish whatsoever. The thing is, I've seen other valvetrains of the identical engine. Owners claim rigorous OCIs, but the insides has a dark brown layer of varnish.

Can a quick treatment of engine cleaner mask a dirty past? Does cleanliness just indicate the use of synthetics but not proper OCIs? I'd like to know more, since I will be buying another used car in my future. Can filler cap sight be used to gauge oil maintenance?

It could just be the PCV valve wasn't up to snuff or the vehicle did lots of city driving and thus left some cosmetic varnish.

Really nothing to worry about but if you want to clean it up I would suggest a quart of MMO in the oil to help facilitate cleaning of the varnish.

MMO works great on varnish...

Use 1 grade thicker than you regulary use. Eg: a 40wt instead of a 30wt.

cheers3.gif

Edit: Sorry just re-read your post and realized what you were asking... The answer is yes owners can clean the engine up to mask signs of poor maintenance in the past but usually the varnish isn't removable by much and usually it will cause the engine to start using or leaking oil because as the crud gets flushed away oil then seeps into areas that the crud had blocked before.

So look for excessive leaks or oil consumption or blue smoke on start-up / driving especially if the miles aren't insanely high to warrant it. This is usually a tell-tale sign that the engine wasn't well cared for.

Stick your finger in the oil fill tube and run it around and see if you can get anything that resembles greasey sludge on your finger or white creamy goo. This indicates lack of maintenance, short trips or engine problems.

The oil filler threads still holds sludge residue after cleaning? Is this because of minimal contact from the oil splashing around?

Very few private sellers and few dealers would bother with a de-varnishing on a run-of-the mill car.

I felt lucky to get a bulk 10w30 change and $1.50 jobber filter on my dealer bought car, the other two dealer purhcases came with black nasty stuff that was at least topped off.

Having sold a few as well, the dipstick checkers are in the < 20% category. The car will sell regardless, usually to someone who doesn't open the hood.
33.gif

Someone checking for varnish down the fill cap... might as well be the BITOG secret handshake.

a quick treatment will not mask a dirty past, and few sellers bother to even try, because the buyer is not knowledgeable. only people like those who belong to this board are smart enough to be able to tell the difference from a good deal and a bad one. most used cars nowadays are in pretty good shape, compared to days of old. they don't make them like they used to, and good that they don't. cars are made way better nowadays than 20 - 30 years ago.
mainly due to severe competition from Japan. thank you Japan!!!

I'm still skeptical about this. I just can't bring myself to believe the majority of people don't understand basic automobile maintenance. I've read that TOO many people are religiously changing oil before necessary. The reason I'm wondering about the filler cap check is because there seen to be only two types of owners. Those that maintain and those that don't. I've heard the horror stories from both extremes. So I pondered if there was a way to disguise abuse I'm accustomed to reading on this board.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Just use PP or PU for a couple of OCIs and it should be cleaned out some.

Please tell me what PP and PU stand for?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If it's clean, it's clean.
If it was harshly cleaned by a chemical, there would likely be residue, chunks , or un-eveness.

I agree. I know from experience that rental cars or lease returns are cars that will be more neglected than a car that was a straight out purchase. I worked in 5 different dealerships in a period of a little less than 4 years and saw 100's of trades. Most lease returns saw the bare minimum/if any maint, in the typical 3 years they were leased. Rentals which we didn't deal with are typically driven under conditions that no one would drive their cars under. Many times rentals for sale were involved in accidents.

Bottom line, one of the most important things to check is to make sure the used car you are buying was a one owner car and not a lease return or rental. As always check for maint records, and give the car a thorough once over. Yes there are good lease returns and rentals but typically one owner cars are better, sorry guys.

Back on topic, most people won't flush or attempt to clean an engine, internally that is. They will however toss a product like Lucas Oil Stabilizer to slow a leak or quiet down noise. Our shop did that quite often to make noisy leakers ready for the line.

Originally Posted By: bk111
Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Just use PP or PU for a couple of OCIs and it should be cleaned out some.

Please tell me what PP and PU stand for?

PP = Pennzoil Platinum
PU = Pennzoil Ultra.
OCI = Oil Change Interval (3000 miles on most cars and Oils is now a waste of money. 5000 is good rule of thumb, and 7000 if you feel brave. generally speaking, not every application.)
thumbsup2.gif

OC = Oil Change.

PU (Pennzoil Ultra) Only comes in 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30. Ive seen it at WalMart.
PP comes in anything from 5W-20, Yes PP also has a 5W-50 and 15W-50. And many Grades in between.

PP, and particularly PU however PP is fine here, clean like mad. They are also very fine Oils and as long as they dont have any indesired effects, being Fully Syhthetic and all (Leaks
27.gif
,) they are a top choice of Oil in many Applications.

Ferrari makes a claim they use Pennzoil Ultra, it is in Magazines and the BITOG Ad Sponsor Window. No mention of what they FFd (Factory Filled) their cars with before this wonderful endoresement.
thumbsup2.gif

Hope I have been Helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back