Removing GM sideskirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

What's the best/safest way to remove the sideskirts on my GrandPrix? I need to do a rust inspection and thought the first thing to do is get those skirts off without any self-inflicted damage.

So, please excuse my ignorance...

I don't know. Lots of Grand Prix forums around, one likely has the answer.

Be ready to find a lot of rust if your car was stored outside. Well, unless you used the Fluid Film religiously...

I just rebuilt the inner and outer rockers on a 2000 GTP.
When I say repair I mean with new inners and outers, cut the old ones out and weld the new ones in approx 5 inches into the rear quarter.
This is a big and difficult job, definitely not for beginners.

To remove the plastic side skirts there are a few precautions that must be observed, the clips that go into the rear quarter panel and front fender must be preserved as they are not
Replaceable with any stock clips, if one gets broken a different fastener can be mickey moused.

Remove the front wheels and the 2 lower inner fender well screws
Remove the 2 screws holding the skirt on
Reach inside the fender and with pliers squeeze the clip while pulling the upper
part of the skirt outward (it has double sided tape, it may need a good pull, do not remove the skirt yet.

Remove the rear wheel and remove the 2 screws holding the skirt.
Pull the top of the skirt gently away from the rear quarter very slightly; it also uses double sided tape.

Carefully use a razor blade to cut through the tape without pulling, use needle nose pliers to squeeze the clip to remove it.

Pull the skirt from the middle upper and lower out of the metal channel.

Some points about these skirts. The metal channel often rusts badly and is not available alone. The whole skirt must be purchased approx $450, they are scarce even used.
The replacement rockers do not come with studs for the channels and must be welded onto the new rockers..

The rockers rust out worse on cars with sunroof because GM put the sunroof drains
inside the rocker panels. Sunroof equipped cars most often need both the inner and outer rockers. I reroute the drains by extending the original tubes with ¼” nylon tubing to the
rear of the car through the trunk floor exiting just in front of the bumper.

To repair the rockers the rear interior must be removed, there is a large foam panel impregnated with wire mesh that must be removed to get into the rocker area from inside.
I have one here now that is finished except for paint and putting the interior back in if you need pics.

I am definitely in the beginner category, that's for sure. But a pic showing what is revealed directly behind the outer panel (once removed) could be useful.

Thanks also for mentioning the sunroof drains. I hadn't even thought about those - and I have 'em.

This is the metal piece under the skirt it is held on by nuts and 2 large 3/8 rivets at the ends. This has been de rusted and coated with etching primer, it will get 2 coats of metal loc before going on the car.
1000054e.jpg

Holes in quarter and front fender for the skirt clips.
1000055g.jpg

1000058m.jpg

3/8 rivet hole for metal channel replaced with 1/4 stud (on far right)
1000057.jpg

Now it needs to be cleaned up and the primer blocked out then re primed and paint.
The whole rocker under the plastic skirt is just chip guard over metal loc epoxy primer
and will not show in the finished job. Sand gets in this area rubbing the paint and causing rust to form the chip guard really helps.
Doing both sides on these cars is a huge PITA even after doing about six of them it doesn’t get any easier.

If you need to source the rocker panels for the 2 door let me know, they need modding to
use them. To do 2 full rockers you will need to buy 3 of them as you need more material.

Holy wow! The rockers on my H-body weren't nearly that hard! I'm glad Buick doesn't have that cladding junk trapping water. Fortunately replacing the outer skins is a DIY (if very much PITA) doable job with lots of prep (most of the work is prep and cleaning), body adhesive (such as Lord Fusor 108B), and lots of clamps.

Yes they are a miserable horror show for sure.I can do both on an expedition in one day including paint and prep.These take a long time and lots.... of welding if the inners are gone.

Yea... I think beyond my abilities at the present moment anyway. My immediate concern is halting corrosion and if that proves futile, will have to pursue this option one way or another.
Or perhaps I may have to visit my sister in Mass. and stop by your shop for pricing. ;~)

What does a job like this run $$-wise?

The pics certainly help too.

I’m no body man just a mechanic who picked it up over the last 35 years from friends who were. I do these W bodies for friends and some of my regular customers because they saw how mine came out and liked the job i did on it. I do it on weekends and at night so it takes a while, I charge them $1k -$1,500 plus materials for both depending on how bad the inner rockers are.

Materials run from $500-??? depending on the inner rockers.
The rocker panels run from the front fender to the front of the rear quarter, the part behind the front door to the wheel well is officially part of the rear quarter, but a third rocker can be cut in half and used to continue to the rear with a small patch panel being cut to fill the gap between the quarter and rocker.

Many times if you get them early enough the outside rocker is where most of the damaged is with only minor rust through on the bottom of the inner rockers if any.
This can be cut out and replaced with some 16ga high grade sheet metal if needed.
If rust through has gone all the way up the sides or rear of the inner rocker box then replacing the entire inner is the only option, every car is different.
I hope you get this early enough where it won’t be a real serious rust out.
Post again when you get into it or PM me if you need anything I can help with.

Not sure if you are still out there Trav, but I wanted to say thanks for the tips. I finally kicked of the rocker repair on my 01 GP GT coupe this week and your advise on removing the side skirt is much appreciated. Without it I'm sure I would have broken something trying to force them off. Just knowing those two clips were there and where they were located saved me a ton of aggravation.

I know this is a very old thread, but anyone who is willing to taking the time to help total strangers deserves some kudos.

Originally Posted By: Bing98
Not sure if you are still out there Trav, but I wanted to say thanks for the tips. I finally kicked of the rocker repair on my 01 GP GT coupe this week and your advise on removing the side skirt is much appreciated. Without it I'm sure I would have broken something trying to force them off. Just knowing those two clips were there and where they were located saved me a ton of aggravation.

I know this is a very old thread, but anyone who is willing to taking the time to help total strangers deserves some kudos.

Trav is an asset to this site! He has helped me tremendously by answering my questions without hesitation about vehicles I was looking for my son.

Thanks again, Trav!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back