PCV Crankcase Breather: 2006 Jeep 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is the the driver's side crankcase breather. What cannot be shown from my inspection mirror is the "grid" or screen at about an inch or so below the surface of the cylinder head. I believe the "grid" helps meter the crankcase vacuum to the air cleaner. The visible "breather" is merely a tube that screws into the cylinder head.

The crankcase breather "grid" on the passenger side appears to be dirty and is reducing my PCV system's breathing. I am doing ARX treatments and have improved oil consumption from ~600 miles per quart to ~1,300 miles per quart. The ARX procedures always include suggestions to check the PCV system.

The vacuum line from the intake manifold/throttle body to the PCV valve draws fine. The lines to the air intake from the crankcase breathers draw weakly according to the 2002 Liberty shop manual. The test is to hold ticket stock up to the disconnected vacuum line to the air cleaner. All of the PCV hoses and tees are clean and clear.

My 2006 has a different looking crankcase breather assembly. Both years use the same 3.7l PCV valve. I fear that the blocked crankcase breather "grid" passage does not correctly meter the PCV valve and I may be sucking up oil to the intake manifold. The passenger side breather hose has oil residue. The driver side has much less. I replaced the PCV valve this past spring.

How can I clean out the screen/grid at the bottom of the crankcase breather seat? I cannot reach this screen/grid with q-tips or similar "tools." The breather to which the rubber PCV hose attaches is easily removed with a 7/16" Allen key socket.

Should I shoot some Kroil, carb cleaner or such to clean out this crud from the grids/screens? I thought it best to ask advice before I do any damage.

IMG_0436.jpg

Thanks for your interest!

carb/intake cleaner would be my suggestion. you can buy extra long straws for aerosol clears which may help reach past the hard angles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
carb/intake cleaner would be my suggestion. you can buy extra long straws for aerosol clears which may help reach past the hard angles.

mopar_monkey,

Thanks for your quick response! The carb/intake cleaner will likely evaporate fast enough to avoid draining down and contaminating my oil.

I'll be on the lookout for the extra long aerosol staws. I wish I had some for this job that were a foot long!

This looks like an annual maintenance task for this car...

Originally Posted By: willix
You may benefit miles per qt from a PCV breather trap.

I agree. The various Jeep aftermarket outfits have devices that I could set up if this fails and I decide to keep the car. The only shortcoming to that is that Northern Illinois has mandatory emissions testing...

Now if I only were living in a more tolerant area for auto experimentation!
lightbulb.gif

Thanks for the encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back