Need to run a Web Server and FTP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, StevieC, check out vpsville.ca - they offer very cheap VPS (Virtual Private Server)'s that are great for single and/ or static sites. Their control panel is simple as heck, and they offer Debian, Ubuntu and many other OS's.

Ok, I changed my mind... Who has the cheapest web-space with secure access?

I liked the thought of running my own server and knowing the data is in my home and access via my ISP connection but it doesn't matter.

If it means that the server it is on is secure and well looked after because that's the business they do then maybe I will serve it with someone.

I only need like 1gb of space maximum.

Thoughts?

Heck, if you only needed 1gb, you could stash your files as attachments in gmail.

Not as elegant as having an internet storage bucket look like a drive, but it works.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Ok, I changed my mind... Who has the cheapest web-space with secure access?

vpsville offers SSH root access to your server, in addition to their control panel - I should have mentioned that.

I used their second-to-cheapest package for a few years running a message forum (nothing as large as BITOG) and it was perfect!

StevieC has concluded that Windows in completely inappropriate for actually sharing info; more time to set up and less secure than free alternatives. Just zip any exe file

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Heck, if you only needed 1gb, you could stash your files as attachments in gmail.

Not as elegant as having an internet storage bucket look like a drive, but it works.

There *was* a Firefox add-on that turned your Gmail storage space into a "drive" that could be upload to/ downloaded from within Firefox. I forget the name now, mostly because Google changed something that rendered the add-on useless. I wonder if anyone has come up with something that works now.

EDIT: Yup: http://www.google.com/search?q=use+gmail+space+as+drive&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=iceweasel-a

This does not offer the niceties that web server would offer, of course.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
StevieC has concluded that Windows in completely inappropriate for actually sharing info; more time to set up and less secure than free alternatives. Just zip any exe file
No it knows better... It will come back and tell you there is .EXE files in the zip files.

That is cheap...

They are cheap, but note that most of their packages are much less powerful than most VPS offerings out there. I used the "Town" package for a message forum and was delighted by their service and support. I used Debian, but they seem to remain reasonably abreast of the newest versions of the OS's they support.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
No it knows better... It will come back and tell you there is .EXE files in the zip files.

.zip it with password protection?

Never thought of that... GMAIL is kinda slow though, I think they throttle.

I also want to have a place to drop the files and then it's where I want them for future access from there.

That was why I was thinking a server on my network.

Maybe I will screw around with Debian. I'm OK in the unix environment but nothing like I am in Windows or OSX because I have been out of it so long.

What about Amazon S3? It's secure, it's in the cloud, (it's NOT a web server but can serve files at your discretion) and I think there are some nice GUI's for it for Mac (EDIT: Cyberduck) and Windows.

EDIT: There's also a really handy-dandy add-on for Firefox for managing your S3 account (S3fox?). Put Firefox on a portable USB drive and you can log into your S3 account and manage completely right from your browser.

Google is now offering an alternative to S3 on an invite basis, but they only have Python-based CLI clients for it at present.

2976_choose-debian-software.jpg

I would steer clear of FTP and stay with SFTP (which is conducted over port 22 using encryption, hence the "S" for "secure"). For this, you need only install the "ssh" metapackage (which includes a SSH server and client) after installation is complete. Checking "web server" at the stage of installation seen above is all you'd need to serve static web pages. For dynamic pages you'd need to install the appropriate server-side stuff (PHP, MySQL, etc.)

Then, all you need to do is set up any free FTP program that supports SFTP (Cyberduck on Mac, Filezilla on Windows... I just use the Nautilus file manager in Debian) and connect to the server: you'll be able to transfer files in and out of the server, and even edit them, depending on what editors you have installed on the "client" machine.

Last edited:
Where do I get the "ssh" meta package?

I will definitely do the SFTP instead.

And thanks kindly for your detailed description!
thumbsup2.gif

Where do I get the "ssh" meta package?

I will definitely do the SFTP instead.

And thanks kindly for your detailed description!
thumbsup2.gif

Once your system is set up, in a terminal (as root) simply run (without quotes) "aptitude install ssh". The magical aptitude program will grab everything you need and set the system up to start the SSH service at boot time. Alternatively, you can use Synaptic, which is a GUI program for software management.

EDIT: Synaptic will only be installed if you ALSO check "Desktop environment" at that stage of the install as well. If you do not install a "Desktop environment" there will be no GUI programs installed at all.

SSH is already included in the Debian repositories, it just isn't installed by default.

Once SSH is installed, you log into your machine with your user credentials (NEVER AS ROOT!) so make your user's password for this machine absurdly obfuscated, too!

Thanks I will message you and WWILLSON if I have any issues. He has offered to help me as well.

I should be ok though as I have setup some Linux boxes in the past with some complicated network infrastructure but this was some moons ago and I'm a bit rusty.

cheers3.gif

Debian it is!
grin2.gif

Just to be clear, SFTP is not a secure version of FTP, it is a secure file transfer protocol based on the openssl libraries. This is why it can be installed independent of any FTP packages.

SFTP is the way to go btw.

edit:you will have to set up your home router to port forward port 22 to your linux box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back