Pennzoil 5W50 in a 1990 VW jetta diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying read up on it and I'm just a little worried since I've seen other synthetic 5-oils state that they'll work for diesels, whereas as the Pennzoil states only that it works in gasoline engines. I'm asking because I have a few litres of it.

Not the right oil - don't use it.

You want a 15W-40 or 5W-40 HDEO for your engine.

While I'm not sure the 5W-50 will do any harm, it certainly isn't the oil for that service!

Use only a 15W-40 or 5W-40 Diesel Motor Oil for your Jetta. Never use a 5W-50 or any other visocity that goes with gasoline engines. I recommend Shell Rotella T of any kind, Mobil Delvac, or Chevron Delo for your engine.

I bought it because wasn't any 15W-40 or 5W-40 at the store, my only other option was 10w-30 and some other even less suitable oils. I'm out in the middle of the bush so I can't get any other oil until back into the city for a week or so. Also, I just got the car and based on what the previous owner said it's long overdue for an oil change. So I guess the better question is, is it worth waiting and putting on a few klicks to get a better oil or am I better just to change it out with the Pennzoil 5W20?
Thanks

I would quickly change that old junk oil and add the fresh stuff as soon as possuble with the recommendations stated above. Again, don't use any viscocity that are made for gasoline engines.

Originally Posted By: kelp
I've been trying read up on it and I'm just a little worried since I've seen other synthetic 5-oils state that they'll work for diesels, whereas as the Pennzoil states only that it works in gasoline engines. I'm asking because I have a few litres of it.

Assuming it is Pennzoil 5w-50 you have and it is this product, it is rated API CF the same as Mobil Clean 5000. The CF designation was introduced in 1994 according to the API guide which you can download from here .
Interesting the CF-4 was introduced in 1990 and that is likely the spec your engine called out when it was manufactured. While not as good as a CH or later designation, for the short time I would change it out with the 5w-50 for the short interval to have the clean oil in, it isn't going to hurt anything for the short time till you get back to the city.

"PENNZOIL® SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL is available in four viscosity grades, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30 and SAE 5W-50 and meets the requirements of API SL. The SAE 5W-20 surpasses the performance requirements of ILSAC GF-4, and Ford WSS M2C153-H and WSS M2C930-A specifications. Both the SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30 surpass the performance requirements of ILSAC GF-4, GM 4718M, GM 6094M and API CF. SAE 5W-50 has been formulated to provide extra protection through a thicker oil film and does not provide fuel economy benefits like the other oils.

I don't see even a CF rating for 5w50 here... (although the 5W30 and 10W30 do have it), so I would avoid it...

Last edited:
Well you are right, skimmed right over that 5w30 and 10w30 call-out. (I blame it all on my 7th grade speed reading teacher)

Diesel engines need an oil designed for diesel engines. Period.

Yes, you can use a gas-engine-only oil in a pinch, for a couple thousand miles if need be. But do not make a habit of this. Either 15w40 conventional oil or 5w40 synthetic -- all oils in these viscosities are diesel-rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back