1994 Honda Accord EX (LX U.S.) - 5W-30 or 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.

As an extension of this thread, I have another question: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1950295#Post1950295

The other day, I picked up a 5L jug of Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-20. Now, this was new to me, as I had only ever saw it in 5W-20 and 10W-30 grades on the shelf, before. It must be new to us here in Canada, or at least that particular Walmart location.

Anyway, I know that Honda states in the manual that they recommend 5W-30 weight oil for the 1994 Honda Accord, and that's what I've been using for the previous 3 years I have owned this vehicle. It has never burned any oil, and has only consumed a very, very marginal amount once during a very cold week in the winter. It has never consumed any oil at normal operating temperatures above freezing.

However, the other day I picked up Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-20, thinking, for whatever reason, that was what the Accord actually required. I knew that it was a new grade I had never seen before, but for whatever reason, I thought I had always bought it in 5W-30 only because 5W-20 wasn't available.

Now, the easy thing to do for me would be to just exchange it for the 5W-30 grade. However, what I'm wondering is, is that really necessary? Would 5W-20 be fine in this engine?

I'm thinking that perhaps the 5W-20 grade Castrol GTX High Mileage would be fine, and possibly yield slightly better fuel economy, because it is a high quality dino oil.

I just wanted to check with the experts on here, as I am far from an expert in engine oil yet.

The easiest solution, of course, is that I could just exchange it for 5W-30, but when I purchased the 5W-20, I did not see any 5W-30 on the shelf at all. Perhaps Castrol has replaced 5W-30 with 5W-20?

Cheers.

My take is it will be fine. Most conventional 30-weight oils that start at 10.3-10.7cst will shear down slightly to about 9.0-9.3cst; so a 30-weight will end up where this HM 20-weight starts.

Plus, a 20-weight in general, and a HM one specifically, will be very shear-resistant, so this oil will stay around 8.8-9.2cst for the entire interval.

The 4cyl F22 was 5-30, in 1999~2001 it changed to 5-20. Really, 5-20 wasn't around in 1994 in specable quantities.

Anyway, having had a F23 for 110,000 miles in my opinion it won't matter which you run.

No, 5-30 is probably the most common grade in Canada.

Last edited:
Thanks, both! I had no idea 5W-20 wasn't around in 1994, thanks!

So, I should feel comfortably safe sticking with the GTX High Mileage 5W-20? Good to know! May give a slight boost to the new owners in terms of fuel economy, too!

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Majarvis
Hey everyone.

I just wanted to check with the experts on here, as I am far from an expert in engine oil yet.

lol.gif
If you find any genuine experts around here, please let me know.
28.gif

Opinions, OTOH, BITOG has in abundance!
55.gif

Personally, I'd exchange it. I'm a big fan of HTHS.
But, FWIW, AFAIK, IMO.... xW-20 won't cause your Accord to explode. You just might experience fractionally increased bearing wear - but probably won't...
cool.gif

So long as you don't go pulling any trailers and stay away from the drag strip, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back