Look how Thin! Royal Purple 0W-10 XPR

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time seeing 0w-10. It is also Royal Purple. However they do NOT stock 0W-10 at AutoZone.

So we have an Oil that is thinner than 5W-20 and 0W-20.

I originally saw it in a 5-gallon Drum they wanted $250 for it IIRC.

So, as to discussion, what would this be used for? ANY Street Application? Or no?

They want $14.89 plus shipping and handling.

I found some grades i thought were unavailable this way, for when Stores fail to have your choice of Oil and Grade. Never seen this thin, I wouldnt even use this in a 5W-20 FF application.

Thoughts? Applications?

(I hope that Amazon product link is OK, it goes to the Oil on Amazon.com Thanks)

Last edited:
I think if you read a little, it's pretty easy to find the RP site.

Quote:
XPR 0W10 (Formerly Racing 9)
XPR 0W10 is an ultra-light viscosity motor oil
formulated for gasoline engines used in drag
racing, motorcycle sprint racing, etc.

It's NOT a street oil. Last I checked SAE 0W-10 is not even a recognized viscosity in SAE J300.

NO the link to Amazon is not OK. This type of thing was expressly forbidden by Bob. A tech link to RP, fine - sales at Amazon? No way.

It might be ok to add to dino oil to help assist in flushing an engine gently of some debris or if you wanted to dilute another weight of oil down to something else using this oil.

I wouldn't put this in an engine that wasn't designed for it. I could just hear the bearings grinding.

Quote:
I could just hear the bearings grinding.

Fear not, young weed hopper
grin2.gif

XPR is over 5.35cSt but with a
Harley, here's a "real" 0w-10 ..used by manly men doing manly things in a manly way
grin2.gif

This is what you should be using Harley

They should have made a 0W20 oil first, at least there would have been more of a market for it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
it is used by one of the best Ford engine builders in the country for full throttle dyno runs.

And who would that be?

As Pablo mentioned, RP's XPR series is not a street designated oil. It's only designed for racing/track use. With that in mind, it has minimal detergent additives for daily driver use. Technically, you could blend it with OTS oils for your daily driver at a minimal rate.

Harley, here's an oil that will grow hair on your teeth if you like it thin. Not for street use, obviously.

non sponsor link

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
hate2work said:
Harley, here's an oil that will grow hair on your teeth if you like it thin. Not for street use, obviously.

27.gif

That's Too Thin! OMG!

Dont tell me.. the F1 cars use that.

Oh, it wouldn't be around long ..even in a regular engine.

NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 65
shocked2.gif

Use only at oil temps under 150°F

Red Line makes a 0W-10 with a 6% NOACK, 0W-5 with a 12% NOACK and a 2WT with a 65% NOACK.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'd like to try that stuff in my Integra....
grin2.gif

I am surprised Dr Haas in Miami did not yet put it in his Ferrari 550 Maranello.
lol.gif

If you are familiar with him, he basically puts 0W-20 in all his Supercars in Miami "Based on everything he knows about motor oil, the problem is not that motor oil Thins when it gets hot, but that it thickens as it cools back down." And he typed up pages of explanation saying how Oil is like a 300-weight at start-up and such.

Do we agree with him?
27.gif

Quote:
Use only at oil temps under 150°F

This Product doesnt sound right.
54.gif

What kind of car has Oil Temps under 150, F or C?

One that probably has less than a mile on it. It's not, btw, @ 3cSt @ 4 mile it might be. It should be somewhere around 6cSt around that temp. They're also at double SL AW add levels. The engines probably don't manage more than 100 miles without a refresh ..if that many.

150F. Just look up the 2wt oil. It's also the order page so I can't link to it.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'd like to try that stuff in my Integra....
grin2.gif

I am surprised Dr Haas in Miami did not yet put it in his Ferrari 550 Maranello.
lol.gif

If you are familiar with him, he basically puts 0W-20 in all his Supercars in Miami "Based on everything he knows about motor oil, the problem is not that motor oil Thins when it gets hot, but that it thickens as it cools back down." And he typed up pages of explanation saying how Oil is like a 300-weight at start-up and such.

Do we agree with him?
27.gif

Yes....That statement anyway.

I remember one of the Car Mags publishing an article about a guy racing in some kind of stock type class, running a S/B Chevy on this stuff. He actually reduced the gear height of the oil pump(to reduce volume and drag), ran super loose bearing clearances and ran R/P 0W-10... But only like 2 or 3 quarts in the sump for the finals. The article went on to say that the engine sounded like a coffee can full of marbles when cold and by half track the engine had no oil pressure because the sump had sucked itself dry, but never blew up...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back