Looking for 380acp for Concealed Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a small 380 ACP gun that I can carry concealed comfortably. I've read a glowing review of the Micro Desert Eagle but many, the reviewer included, have said it might take a little gunsmithing work to get all the burs out. The Ruger LCP and Kel-Tecs PT3A are also on my short list. Money is also a factor here since I'm looking to spend less than $400 and don't need any bling. It's also critical that the gun be small enough that I can actually carry it concealed.

Any thoughts on the three choices I've mentioned? Any other options I've missed?

The Ruger seems *very* popular these days- probably hard to go wrong with that one. The Kel-Tec P3AT may need a little "fluffing & buffing". I know nothing about the Desert Eagle. Suggestion- ck the gun forums.

Okay, I know it is totally not what you're asking for, but what about a Glock 19 or 26? I can't think of a better carry weapon for general use. Personally, I like the 19.

robert

Walther PPK! I have quite a collection of .380 pistols and she's my fav. I really like my ruger LCP. I carry that when I'm wearing shorts, but 99% of my time my PPK is on my hip.

My XD feels shunned, but something about the way the Walther feels in your hand, and secured to your hip. Plus, the history behind the PP and the PPK is awesome.

Go shoot a PPK!

I hear good things about the Ruger LCP but haven't handled one yet. I LOVE my Kel-Tec! If you get one, go ahead and do the fluff & buff (www.ktog.org) and break it in with at least 100 shots at the range. Mine has never malfunctioned.

One of the best things about this pistol is that it is so small and light, I almost always have it with me. When I carried something larger and heavier I frequently left it behind because of those factors. No matter what kind of manstopper you have, it won't do you any good out of your reach.

If you DO decide to go with something a little larger, the Bersa is economical and reliable.

I`ve got a Remington 380 which is my concealed carry at the moment. 380 ammo is nearly impossible to find here. 9mm is everywhere,so I`m getting ready to buy a Glock 19. I qualified with a Glock and that thing was smoooooooooth!

Last edited:
Id look for a Makarov, the ammo is still plentiful thru mail order. Very reliable gun, not any larger than a standard .380, yet packs a real punch(the ammo is loaded much hotter). Its the best kept secret, the 9x18 Makarov. It doesnt have the "cool" status, of a Glock or Ruger, but it has the proven reliablity of being the sidearm of the Warsaw pact countries. Excellent gun, I have two, a Russian one and a East German.

You should look for a compact 9mm over the .380. More power and the size difference is usually nil. It's your life on the line and a 9mm is really the least you should carry. My daily carry .40 is compact enough for most use. I use a snub .357 for the other times.

Ruger LCP is a good SMALL pistol, fire one before getting one though.

It's a hand full, long trigger and sites are for close close targets.

light and compact. Perfect for summer shorts and such.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
...Perfect for summer shorts and such....
Bill

You guys must be wearing some REALLY short shorts if you're having a problem concealing your pistol!

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
...Perfect for summer shorts and such....
Bill

You guys must be wearing some REALLY short shorts if you're having a problem concealing your pistol!

No, I don't wear a belt with shorts and unlike some of the fine "fashion statements" out there don't like to wear pants/shorts around my knees.

A loaded LCP in a pocket holster weighs very little. Put 5 rounds in a steel SP101 in same type of holster and those shorts are around my ankles.

It is not a pretty sight!
45.gif

Bill

I have a Sig P238 and expect it would be a good carry gun.

I have a bunch of 380's and my favorite is the CZ-83. It's like shooting a .22, but it's probably too big for a carry gun.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You should look for a compact 9mm over the .380. More power and the size difference is usually nil. It's your life on the line and a 9mm is really the least you should carry. My daily carry .40 is compact enough for most use. I use a snub .357 for the other times.

There are no 9mm pistols as small and light as a Ruger LCP (or the similar Kel-Tec or Taurus). I have a Glock 27 (same size as the 9mm Glock 26) and there is no comparison. There are some 9mm pistols smaller than the Glock, but none as small as the LCP. I carry a LCP off-duty because I have found nothing as small, thin, and light and I don't want to dress around carrying a gun. I want to enjoy life and not alter my dress or lifestyle around a gun.

I have shot my department's off-duty qualification course twice this year with my LCP. No malfunctions using WWB truncated cone FMJ and Hornady Critical Defense JHP. The recoil with the polymer framed LCP was less than with my all metal NAA Guardian .32 ACP. The sights on the LCP are terrible for any type of precision shooting. I have not put a laser on it like many people have because in the situations I am likely to have to use it there won't be the time to use it and you fight how you train.

All handguns are a compromise between size and power. If you knew there was a high likelihood that you would need a firearm to defend yourself you would use a rifle. Actually you would just avoid the situation altogether. It is better to have a .380 that you carry all the time than something bigger that you carry some of the time.

Originally Posted By: sj586
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

There are no 9mm pistols as small and light as a Ruger LCP (or the similar Kel-Tec or Taurus). I have a Glock 27 (same size as the 9mm Glock 26) and there is no comparison. There are some 9mm pistols smaller than the Glock, but none as small as the LCP. I carry a LCP off-duty because I have found nothing as small, thin, and light and I don't want to dress around carrying a gun. I want to enjoy life and not alter my dress or lifestyle around a gun.

I have shot my department's off-duty qualification course twice this year with my LCP. No malfunctions using WWB truncated cone FMJ and Hornady Critical Defense JHP. The recoil with the polymer framed LCP was less than with my all metal NAA Guardian .32 ACP. The sights on the LCP are terrible for any type of precision shooting. I have not put a laser on it like many people have because in the situations I am likely to have to use it there won't be the time to use it and you fight how you train.

All handguns are a compromise between size and power. If you knew there was a high likelihood that you would need a firearm to defend yourself you would use a rifle. Actually you would just avoid the situation altogether. It is better to have a .380 that you carry all the time than something bigger that you carry some of the time.

Okay, all very good points. Better to have a low powered gun that you will carry than to have a bigger gun that you may leave home when you most need it. As for me, I carry to live and never have issues carrying any of my firearms. My scandium S&W .357 goes with me when I need to pack light - but carrys a big punch. I think the LCP is a great little gun and will probably serve you well for your purposes.

Thanks all for your ideas. The point about a small gun being more likely to actually be carried is why I focused on .380 in the first place. I need something that's both effective and small for CC duty. Something approaching the size of a pack of cards or a wallet would be ideal.

I have a Kal-Tec PF-9. Unloaded it comes in @ 12.7 oz and carry it in an Uncle Mike's #4 pocket holster. You can also use +P 9MM ammo in it for self defense.

I've got the P3AT, specifically because I wanted a very small concealable weapon with very light weight. I also have the small Glk26, so I can make some fair comparisons.

The P3AT is about as small as you'll every find in .380 form, that also provides reasonable function and quality.

It is best used as a "gut gun" or "last defense" weapon; it's not very good for 25 yard shots. Within 15-20 feet, it's fine. It has some wicked recoil, even though it's just .380, because it's VERY light. Mine also has incredibly long and creepy trigger pull; it sucks. Don't get me wrong; it can be shot well. I qualified at my annual SO shoot 180/180 pts with it as one of my "backup" guns. But it takes a lot of concentration and effort at longer distances. That's simply not what this is for. This little gun is a pocket gun for up-close encounters, when anything larger would be a pain. But like the saying goes "better to have a small gun than no gun at all".

Overall, there are times when I carry it over any other option for the pure desire to have a gun when I don't want to "carry" a gun. I either put in my pocket, or with my Thunderwear with a pair of cuffs and spare mag.

Seriously-I didn't think anyone trusted their lives to a .380
regardless of the type of ammo loaded.
Guess you learn siomething new everyday

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back