Hyundai Santa Fe Or Mitsubishi Endeavor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love when local talent tries to "work" on Euro cars and screws them up, more work for people who actually have a real skills.

What about the GM SUVs? My local mechanic just got an Equinox, it seems pretty good...over a Hundai or Izusu.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

EDMUNDS says... Editors Rating 5.3 (lol)

A 10 year old article about Axiom is all you can say?

Works great for me.

I am happy with my Kia. I am will be shopping for a Hyundai or Kia station wagon in a year or so myself.

If you were a single mom going out on on diaper runs, you probably would never know the difference, but if you are a car guy who likes to drive and can tell the difference, yes, other vehicles are way better. Like I said, driving a box-on-wheels like the vehicles you mentioned or taking advice from a guy with an Izusu Axiom is beyond lame.

How many vehicles did you actually DRIVE, or are you relying on some bozo's advice or maybe just shopping from brochures? Mose people with a good sense about vehicles would be sure to look at Honda CRV, Rav 4 and even a Murano.

If you buy a piece of [censored] you deserve what you get, so go for it, chunky or smooth, who cares?

What about the GM SUVs? My local mechanic just got an Equinox, it seems pretty good...over a Hundai or Izusu.

We have a 2010 Equinox and have had more than our fair share of problems with it. Most of those problems, however, have since been worked out for new factory production vehicles (we got one of the very first ones produced LAST spring).

The most pressing issue people seem to have on Edmunds (where I have posted often on our Nox) is that it has a "dieseling" sound to it (more so after break-in). Another issue people have is a "ticking" sound from the engine. Mine does both as well. The "ticking" is normal for this DI engine according to GM. Putting in high octane gas helps reduce it. As for the "dieseling", I'm not convinced it is a "problem" or not normal for this vehicle. That is why there is the 5 yr/100k mile warranty.

I'd buy the vehicle again. It is much more refined inside compared to other vehicles in its class (CRV which is an eco-box, RAV 4 which is a P0S, Rogue which is pretty nice but smallish, Escape which is basically a 10 year old vehicle in design/mechanics, Patriot which isn't even worth talking about). Also bigger and has better mileage than its competitors. If you want to tow anything you have to get the 6 cyl. It is certainly a much better choice than the Mitsu or the Hyundai the original poster inquired about.

btw-

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/usprisoners_japancomp.htm#fn57

Like the Germans and their industry were any better than the Japanese.

They were every bit as despicable, maybe worse. Read Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich if you haven't already. Pay particular attention to the chapter titled The New World Order ( I think, it's been a couple of decades since I read it).

I love when local talent tries to "work" on Euro cars and screws them up, more work for people who actually have a real skills.

Dont jab at me man. I never screwed anything up on any of these cars. They have all self destructed on there own. I mean seriously a plastic water neck? W T F is that? Did they not think it would not corrode away and leave somebody stranded? Yeah I had to tow my friends fiance's Jetta back so we could fix it. Oh and how about the fuel line on my wifes best friends turbo passat? Yeah with 60K on the car it decided to rupture for no good reason going down the highway and leave her stranded. Then at 80K the head gaskets decided they had enough and let go. Her passenger door window decided it no longer wanted to stay up and fell right off the track and crashed down into the door. The list just goes on and on with these cars. Thinking about all of this gives me a headache.

Audi Junkie will bash almost every other vehicle on planet, no matter what it is, unless it's a problem/bug prone (well known fact for ages) VW or an Audi. And he will post a lot of mostly unrelated pics of VWs and Audis

He has done it many, many times in the past, and it's best to let him have his say and leave him be.

Hyundai, while not having a bogus premium "name" unlike some overrated makes, have come a long way. Our 2003 Elantra has been utterly reliable as a daily driver, and at 150k miles, still solid and trouble-free, with only 1 repair-related trip to the dealer (sun visor bracket). I know many Toyota and Honda (and VW) owners which can't even come close to that when relating to the reliability of their cars.

It's not a performance vehicle, but we don't use it for that purpose either - nor was it meant to be one-it does what it was supposed to do extremely well: a solid daily driver which gets good mileage.

Santa Fe would have the same/better reliability.

Obviously, if the OP was looking for a performance vehicle, he wouldn't have considered a Santa Fe/Endeavor etc..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
What mileage do you get from your Equinox? Anywhere close to new EPA ratings? No flaming, just curious.

It is rated 32, on our long trips we've gotten about 27-29. That is 70-75 mph most of the way, with Indiana plains wind (I guess that is why they are building a bunch of windmills in that area now), through Chicago traffic, 500 pounds of people, 200 pounds of dogs, 400+ pounds of cargo.

If you are in a very hilly area the mileage goes down a lot, and if you "kick 'er down" it does down a lot. The six speeds in them are eager to down shift because of the low torque. We get our best mileage once we get into WI along Lake Michigan on I43 where it is relatively flat and less traffic. There we get close to advertised with the above mentioned cargo.

Uhh, I only mention the VW because of the great deals currently on them, but it turned into a VW bashing thread, so excuuuse me. Just trying to save the guy the embarrassment of buying a diaper mobile.

From what I know about the Tiguan, it's a steal for what you get. Like I said, I could have paid twice as much for the same platform and technology in an Audi, so yes, I'm thinking of the VW as a "budget mobile", but on the other hand, the engineering is high-end.

I think longevity is the one other issue to inject into the discussion. That is the single most obvious paradox that isn't answered in all the threads that bash VW is reliability. Hey, I know there are 1001 quirks on these cars, but if you master a few of them, like something such as the coilpacks, you have a vehicle that is patently better than the others. No doubt in my mind.

I take the example of B5.5 Passat buyers. People flocked to those car from "more reliable" models that were lower maintenance, but lower technology too. My female cousin even got burned, she came from a lifetime of VWs: Rabitt, Fox, Jetta that all went almost 300k under horrid Maine conditions and minimal service.Then she got a B5.% and sludged it, broke timing belts and likely had CPs go bad on her, along with the other chassis issues, they car sucked for her, no way could she pop out a bad CP and place her spare into place, that's about has hard as opening a door lock. Plus, she beat it and put a lot of miles on it w/o maintenace and dino oil. Does that make Passat a bad car, I dunno, but it's easy to say she was a BAD OWNER.

I think I was reacting to the OP's two choices was the perception that he was REALLY limiting himself in vehicle choices and indeed not done his homework. Pointing out the VWs strong points and resale vs price was meant to shock him out of his fog, it was as far across the scale as you can get. I have no "reliability" issues I'm worrying about. New engine update, no timing belt, turbo oil afterpump, heavy duty off road suspension, free service and maintenance from VW too. No complaints at under $22k.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Audi Junkie will bash almost every other vehicle on planet, no matter what it is, unless it's a problem/bug prone (well known fact for ages) VW or an Audi. And he will post a lot of mostly unrelated pics of VWs and Audis

He has done it many, many times in the past, and it's best to let him have his say and leave him be.

How's the TBird working out? My cousin last said the door fell of the hinges on hers . After a few engines and trannys she gave up and is now driving her deceased MiL's LeBaron.

Good for her! Those are plucky little cars.
grin2.gif

Those issues my cousin and everyone else who bought these B5.5 cars, en masse, seemed to have convinced a lot of people who know little about cars that VWs are "bad". Lest they comment on anything else about the car, because their understanding and skills are not tuned for subjective comparisons like ride, feel and handling. Of course safety is not a primary issue either, just price.

How's the TBird working out? My cousin last said the door fell of the hinges on hers . After a few engines and trannys she gave up and is now driving her deceased MiL's LeBaron.

Good for her! Those are plucky little cars.
grin2.gif

This, fellow BITOGers, is exactly what I mean. :)
He turned it into a bashing of my SPECIFIC car and not a brand in discussion

and FYI, The Tbird, at 150k miles also, is still running strong, and still the DD. :) yep, and still the one real repair to date.

see here if you want to make sure that it still has the doors LOL:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1912573#Post1912573

Last edited:
Thanks. I just came back from a trip to Iowa, so I know what you mean about the plains winds.
How is it around town?

The truth hurts.

i am sure it does.
grin2.gif
The truth: 150k miles, original everything, still going strong: (apologies in adv. to the OP and bitog'ers who're following the thread)
mftested.png

I wonder why Germans price their cars so high but their quality is equivalent to a 1980's Hyundai and Yugo.

They've must have spent it on sophistication....

They know that blind buyers will buy them just because they're "European" and for looks and status... I can respect some aspects of some BMW models from previous generations, but otherwise everything else is utter [censored] that just gets a free pass due to once being relatively respectable brands...

VW, Audi and MBs break so often but their owners will deny it 95% of the time that they're POSs.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

VW, Audi and MBs break so often but their owners will deny it 95% of the time that they're POSs.

+1

Feel free to start another thread on the relative merits of cars...without the bashing, particularly without bashing of BITOG members choice of cars.

A little good natured ribbing is to be expected but that has been greatly exceeded in this now dead thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back