2006 Jeep Liberty oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel that the owners manual calls for either 0w-40 or 5w-40. I was able to get a 15w-40 oil which has more zinc in it than regular shelf oils and I would like to use this (I have had good luck with this brand in my car racing applications). Would using the 15w-40 oil have any adverse effects on the engine?

Thanks in advance

I'm sure 15w40 would work fine. A few things come to mind, 1) isn't that diesel engine MB? 2) The 0w40 and 5w40 may be suggested because it may be readily available for other MB engines. And possibly the oil change interval is longer with the 0w40/5w40.

Of course all of that is speculation, random night ramblings even. I doubt there would be any trouble with 15w40 in a diesel engine.

I think thats a VM Motori. If you are talking about Redline Diesel Oil 15W40 it should be fine for the summer. I would switch to their 5w40 for the winter though. Their 5W40 is actually a better match for that application.

Right now the shop that does her oil changes has her going 12,000 between changes, with the 15w-40 what would be a reasonable mileage between changes?

Not sure about the MB thing? I know the engine is a 2.8L CRD.

Thanks

15-40 is just fine. not sure that I would go that long between changes tho. and the motor is an italian design ( I believe ) but not a benz

Thanks for the help guys. I will use the 15w-40 and change it every 5000-6000 miles.

I have been using a 5w40 primarily in my Jeep Liberty CRD, but also have used 15w40. All of these are synthetics. VM is a colaboration with Penske and Detroit Diesel in Italy. Darn good engines used worldwide with a lot of them in Marine applications. I have a couple of brochures from VM on this engine that gives some good information and torque/hp curves on the engine. Send me a PM and I will get them to you. Have them in PDF on my computer. Doesn't say so in the brochures, but when I got on their website when the engines were being put in the Libertys, they claimed the engine was designed for 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
I would switch to their 5w40 for the winter though. Their 5W40 is actually a better match for that application.

+1

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have been using a 5w40 primarily in my Jeep Liberty CRD, but also have used 15w40. All of these are synthetics. VM is a colaboration with Penske and Detroit Diesel in Italy. Darn good engines used worldwide with a lot of them in Marine applications. I have a couple of brochures from VM on this engine that gives some good information and torque/hp curves on the engine. Send me a PM and I will get them to you. Have them in PDF on my computer. Doesn't say so in the brochures, but when I got on their website when the engines were being put in the Libertys, they claimed the engine was designed for 300,000 miles.

Designed for such a short amount of time
54.gif

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
300k miles seems really short for a diesel

Indeed. For any modern engine even.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Designed for such a short amount of time
54.gif

I guess it is relative to how it is used. Last time I looked at a Chevy brochure they were touting the Duramax as designed for 300,000 miles. Maybe just a standard industry claim for their auto diesels. Who knows. At least the VM diesel in the CRD is wet sleeved and designed for multi rebuilds, unlike most "modern" engines.

When the manufacturer calculates a "service life" of 300,000 miles, that is quite good. Most gasoline engines, both foreign and domestic, have a "service life" of 150,000 miles. Even some diesels are only 150,000 "service life." Until recently, the Duramax and Powerstroke "service life" was 200,000. The D-max has been recently upgraded to 300,000. The Cummins ISB in the Dodge HDs has always been 300,000. This service life rating doesn't mean the engine won't go farther. There are many Dodge HD pickups out there with 600,000 mile and farther Cummins diesels in them.

I use Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in both of my CRDs with a bigger Mobil 1 M1-301 filter, and 10,000 mile UOAs come back fine. I'm going to start doing 12,000.

Depending on how the vehicle is used, a lot of Libby CRD owners could stretch out the drains. Mine gets primarily highway use and a minimum of 12 miles one way since I live rural.

How about Amsoil HDD 5W30 Synthetic?

I've normally ran 5W40 or 15W40. But a couple years back when I changed oil, I put in some cheap 5W30 gasser oil from Wally World and a cheap Fram filter, ran it on the road for 10 miles and then dumped it out before putting in my normal oil, just to flush out all the soot and other gunk. Engine was noticeably quieter during that 10 mile run with the 30 W oil in it.

Also, my commute has changed - 6 miles one way of stop and go at 45 mph max - engine is just beginning to get warmed up by the time I get to work. Especially in the winter, I imagine that 15W40 is just a little on the thick side for that type of driving.

An aside - besides the M1 301 filter, an Amsoil EaO-26 will just barely clear the skidplates - and make for over 7 quarts capacity.

Originally Posted By: racercurt
My wife has a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel that the owners manual calls for either 0w-40 or 5w-40. I was able to get a 15w-40 oil which has more zinc in it than regular shelf oils and I would like to use this (I have had good luck with this brand in my car racing applications). Would using the 15w-40 oil have any adverse effects on the engine?

Thanks in advance
Why not use Shell Rotella 5W40 T6 or Mobil Delvac 5W40? I'd run that rather than the 15W.

Shell Rotella 5w40 or Mobil 5w40 should be easy choices. Wallyworld and various autopart stores stock it. I wouldn't bother with a mineral oil when the mfg'er demands a synthetic.

Would the 15w40 have adverse affects? Probably depends on how cold it gets and on what the engine is expecting for oil flow when its cold. Also, I wonder how hot the oil gets, and if the required synthetic is there to protect something that isn't properly cooled(turbo?).

If you have the skid plates, you can add a couple washers over it for added clearance for the over-sized PH8a filters. But, with a 5k interval, no need for the bigger filter.

Its a great engine. Too bad its castrated with emissions, an automatic transmission, and an almost clueless dealer network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back