Pennzoil sludge cleaning ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nutsbolts
If you use Pennzoil bottom of the barrel oil, you may end up with sludge, yes? They do say the new super clean cleans better than their Platnium, Yes?
I find it strange for a company that advertises the newest oil as the best for an engine, but yet sells an oil that is poorer quality...
Javier

Can you back your STATEMENTS up with any kind of proof, if not, this is starting to sound like a SMEAR Campaign against a SPONSORED Product.

If you use Pennzoil bottom of the barrel oil, you may end up with sludge, yes? They do say the new super clean cleans better than their Platnium, Yes?
I find it strange for a company that advertises the newest oil as the best for an engine, but yet sells an oil that is poorer quality...
Javier

Yup, you're yet another uninformed troll.

Since you clearly don't know the facts, conventional GF-5 Pennzoil claims to clean 40% of existing sludge just like Pennzoil Platinum does.

Do you also think the conventional version of each brand of oil is also "poorer quality" compared to the synthetic version?

Originally Posted By: c3po
Pennzoil sells the oil that sludges up engines then the platnium that cleans up engines and then the new super clean.

Makes no sense other than profit to sell the cheaper blend.

So Pennzoil will sell you sludge on one end and then sell you super clean on the other end?

This is sort of snake oil sales if you ask me...

Why in 40 years they did not make a better product?

I am sure Johnny would have a different OPINION.

I tend to ignore comments like this from people who know nothing about it. I can understand where he is coming from according to this link on his profile page. Pretty much says it all to me.

http://www.ranchopower.com/

I`m on almost 2 months of Pennzoil GT racing oil,and the camshaft and upper internals (through the oil fill hole) is the shiniest and cleanest it`s ever looked. Remaining oil film on the cam after shut down is amazing! Guess I better get out the paint scraper and start getting all that sludge off :^P

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
More Calcium and Boron detergents.

Boron isn't there as a detergent in PU.

Around here, getting that Pennzoil (yellow bottle) will sludge up a car saying is next to impossible to get people to stop believing. I know so many people that say "anything but pennzoil" and really believe it. It's like this long long told lie and it's in the grapevine and you CANNOT kill it.

I was arguing with this guy, who I sold a car to a week ago, telling him I had Pennzoil Platinum in it and you should have seen him freak out. He went on and on about sludge and how he worked at a shop and seen pennzoil cars come in all the time (dude was lying, I knew for a fact he only started working there a few weeks before) all sludged up. I pulled out two phenominal UOA's and also showed him down the oil cap hole how clean and pristine it was... so he's red mad in the face and proceeded to 1 up me by saying this classic: "if you have a warrantied car and you go in for service and you pull out an oil receipt that has pennzoil on it, they will void your warranty ON THE SPOT".

I almost keeled over laughing at the absurdity of the statement. This sludge/pennzoil thing is a lie that's been told around here since I was a kid, and I used to buy into it (not from any actual evidence, just b/c so many people told it). It's amazing to me.

I just changed the oil in my daughter's boyfriends car. His dad is an aspiring mechanic on the side who has told him this stupid [censored] too. Again with the: "anything but pennzoil". I tried and tried to convince him, show him data, UOA's and physical proof (my cars) and they are just senile... plug their ears NANANANANA NANANAANA don't wanna hear it.

Frustrating!

If you want a different oil... fine. Not a big deal at all. But this stupid grapevine lie about pennzoil and sludge needs to die already. Perhaps this is why pennzoil seems so concentrated on the removing sludge marketing... to try and kill that. It's very prevalent around here... not just a few people, just about anyone you talk to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steveh
What is it with all the people jumping on the MMO bandwagon lately?

MMO has always worked. I dont suggest it for normal use but their is certainly nothing wrong with a 4:1 Mix of 15W40 HDEO and MMO for a 3000 mile OCI when you are cleaning up a 150,000 mile engine you just bought. After that I generally go to a 10W30 HDEO if its a flat-tappet pushrod motor.

Now why anyone would put MMO in a new car I havnt the foggiest...

Last edited:
Pennzoil is and has long been good stuff.
I have used SOPUS products in four out of five current daily drivers, and would not hesitate to use the appropriate grade of Pennzoil YB, PP or Ultra in any one of them.
Why would you think there is something wrong with Pennzoil?
Are you trolling, or are you merely uninformed?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
What specifically is in the new Pennzoil formulas that can clean sludge? Do other oils have this but just don't advertise it?
Marketing is the secret ingredient!
wink.gif

You think it might be a more solvent type base oil Buster? Aren't there some very highly solvent group III base oils now?

That would be news to me. GrpIII processing usually removes (nearly all) solvents and naphthenics as they are not as thermally stable.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
You think it might be a more solvent type base oil Buster? Aren't there some very highly solvent group III base oils now?

That would be news to me. GrpIII processing usually removes (nearly all) solvents and naphthenics as they are not as thermally stable.

Isn't Ultra and Platinum group III?

What is it specifically that's making these newer oils/GF-5 oils able to clean existing deposits compared to oils of previous specification that are unable to clean existing deposits?

I think someone said it before. Lots of calcium and boron.

Lots of oils have had lots of Calcium and boron before; they've never claimed to remove existing sludge and deposits, let alone 40% during the first oil change.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Marketing. PYB is a good product though don't get me wrong.
All oils have cleaning agents and when used as intended, will keep your engine at least (fairly) clean inside.

Yes, but Pennzoil specifically says it's oils will clean existing sludge.

Its Synthetic-ness and Detergents package probably attack the Sludge pretty hard, or whatever the Oil thinks is Sludge. Then it likely holds it in Suspension until changed.

I would think that the oil would darken rather quickly if it is as agressive as Pennzoil says. Others have expressed skepticism.

If i can find 15W-50 for my application, im going with Pennzoil. I will search for it before i give up, them M1 will be used if i cant find PP no need for PU. It is simply a matter of whatever is there, and whatever works. Both these Oils will likely suit the bill, though i will seek PP before using M1 with no worries and no qualms. Ive done my homework. And i do NOT think it will "Eat up my camshaft."

The only thing i would be concerned about is Leaks. If PP is so smart it can remove Sludge that well, then MMO is not needed, that seems a product for non-Superstar Sludge Cleaning Oils in which case it works well, though some frown at solvent in crankcase. I can partially see why, as Oil does that function already, so why not add MMO.. n/m.

I say again, if PP can clean sludge and not make Leaks appear by claning away sealer sludge, Ihave found an Oil for Life.

Has anyone ever had leaks arise after using PP? Or has it acted as a good Sealer and Seal Conditioner with its additive pack, while working its de-sludge magic? They seem Opposites.

And
32.gif
but as to the "PYB Sludge Horror," I have come to the conclusion that.. While a handful of people have no reason to lie and probably were mechanics and probably tore apart engines in the 70s and 80s (likely in engines of the time that were unknown sludgers back then) in which case it would have had a bad rep into the 90s until new PYB came along, I believe that calling new "Exceeds API SM" PYB Sludgers is very insulting, based on all i have read here. And i dont even use PYB. JMO, and its far worse than ANY Attack or Comparison or Test against other Oils on M1 ive seen, which i may end up using in my application.

31.gif
PYB Sludge sayers, if speaking in Modern Day and not about decades past gone, are
29.gif
43.gif
07.gif

Lots of oils have had lots of Calcium and boron before; they've never claimed to remove existing sludge and deposits, let alone 40% during the first oil change.

Probably also multifunction VII.

Probably also multifunction VII.

I thought VII caused the infamous Pennzoil sludge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back