Wont be buying meijer motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, for those of you familiar with meijers, I sent them an email asking who made their brand of motor oil they finally replied that "Due to an agreement with our vendors, manufacturer information is proprietary."
I dont really see the need for the big secret and as a customer I feel I should have every right to know. BTW it is not warren the bottom of the bottles have a big letter c in a box. Just thought I would share.

Last edited:
Yeah Meijers use to be a good place to buy automotive and hardware supplies. Now they are best for groceries, better than Walmart anyway. I thought Warren's bottle mark was "WPP"?

Tell Meijer to stick their brand of motor oil up their ******. Next time, pick a quality motor oil where you will defintely know where it comes from and who makes the oil in the first place.
34.gif

I have shopped at Meijer for years. Find their private branded products to be of high quality. Meijer also is a much more pleasant shopping experience than Wal*Mart. Not sure if they will give out who the suppliers are of any of their products under the Meijer brand. However, based on 20+ years experience with their products I would not hesitate to use their motor oil. I do not use their oil since I have used nothing but Amsoil for years. Sooner or later someone will submit samples in for oil analysis.

If they do have such an agreement (and I would not find this odd at all- it could very well be sold right next to it for more money) then they're not going to tell you in an email. I imagine if you ask the manager of the store he/she can find out if they don't already know.

You can pretty much be assured that they're not going to play with a substandard oil under their house label.

Nondisclosure of suppliers is standard in a lot of industries. Opens up a can of worms when you start letting end users know where you are getting your stuff.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Isn't the C for Coastal Unilube?

No. They have a script WU (Warren Unilube). The C is from the bottle manufacturer.

I used Meijer oil for years in a Dodge minivan and my Mazda MX-6. No issues whatsoever. That was 10-13 years ago, and the runs were 5k in the Dodge and 3k in the Mazda.

Meijer oil has been made by 2 different manufacturers.Some of the old stuff was recycled Sunoco garbage. It had a blue tint and smelled foul from previous burned hydrocarbons.
Most of the recent stock is made by Citgo, the famous Chavez Venezuela commie crude which sells right next to the Meijer oils. No wonder they did not want to tell you. It sure looks thin to me. I would rate it below super tech.

Yeah given the choice I would rather spend money at meijer still I just thought it was a little ignorant to not tell a customer and for that I wont buy their oil. I decided against replying to their email, I didnt have anything nice to say. But what if I had inquired about I dont some shampoo that my kid was possibly reacting to would they be the same way?

Your kid would not be reacting to the brand but the ingredients in it which should be listed on the label. In that case they would have given you an 800 number to call. FDA requirement. You can ask them for a msds sheet on the oil you want and by law they have to provide you one. The msds sheet might list the manufacture.

chad8, I hope your bias does not help put all the hard working Americans out of a job that refines, blends, and packages the CITGO products sold here.

And as stated above, the C on the bottom of the bottle is for Continental Container Corporation, the mfg of the bottle.

OK. You went about this the wrong way. Walk into the store and ask to see the MSDS for the product. Tell them you want to know the flash point as you intend to use the oil in a stationary generator in a hot environment.

Hey, it's worked for me in the past at a Wal-Mart.

And I just saw Johnny's reply. They should be required to show you the MSDS if you ask for it. You can always report them to OSHA if they refuse, but you won't get much sympathy if you're not employed at the store.

I stopped using Meijer branded oil a long time ago after noticing that two changes back to back came out smelling very burned from my lowly Iron Duke. No other oil ever did this. Some of their weights aren't even SM rated. Since they stopped carrying Purolator I don't get any of my auto stuff there. It doesn't seem like it's a big priority to them anyway compared to the variety you can get at *cough*Wal Mart*cough*.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You can ask them for a msds sheet on the oil you want and by law they have to provide you one. The msds sheet might list the manufacture.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back