A/C Oil Charge R-134a What oil ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my 96 Plymouth voyager my compressor is making a little noise what oil should i use? I have pag 100 from a/c pro can i use that??
it says medium viscosity

Are you going to vacuum out the system of refrigerant first and then put the oil in or do you just want to charge your system with a bit more oil as is?

POE oil would probably be better-if you use the PAG oil be ABSOLUTELY SURE the system is leak-free & pull a vacuum with a vacuum pump at least overnight-moisture will turn the PAG oil to jelly & clog up your expansion valve!

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish here. The ac compressor is noisy, so you just want to add oil? Is it leaking refrigerant somewhere?

AC systems are not like engines, in that you can't just say "hey guys- what oil do ya'll think I ought to use?". You can't just do an 'oil change' for your ac system.

A given ac system is designed to use a specific type and viscosity of oil. Unless your system has a leak or you've been changing parts, it likely still has the correct amount and type of oil in it- I'm not sure that adding oil is going to do anything for you. But if you DO feel the need to add some, you're going to need to do some research and see what kind of oil that system came with- I don't know. PAG 100 would be my guess- it's probably the most common. But you need to find out for sure. A factory service manual would be the best source of info. Auto parts store might be able to look it up for you. Automotive forums specific to your vehicle might be able to tell you- but take that with a grain of salt.

Whatever you do- DON'T just dump some POE oil in the system because 'bullwinkle' told you that that's the thing to do.

That compressor can use 46 or 100 depending on what car it's in. It's basically a Sanden built for Dodge. But adding oil probly wont fix a noise.

If they put it in a car it gets 46 and a truck or van gets 100. I'd put the 100 you have in it since you have it already.

Maybe the compressor is making noise from too MUCH oil.
Most likely, if it did not leak out, it is OK in the oil department. That is if the pressure is enough to run the system, you almost assuredly have enough oil in there.
Noisy compressors are on their way out, or are overcharged.
And who knows what the history of this system is?

Last edited:
I don't know if you're willing to invest the time & money into a 14 year old vehicle... but if the noise is in fact coming from your compressor, it might be a good investment to go ahead and replace the thing before it has a catastrophic failure. 'Cause IF you run the thing to failure, it can scatter debris (metal & rubber chunks, mostly) through the condensor and plug up your expansion valve. If that happens, then you have a much bigger fix on your hands than just a compressor. And there can be reliability issues down the road if it isn't fixed right.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
How do i know which one is in the 96 voyager?

Look for a small silvery label on the compressor. If that is missing, a easy way to spot which is which is look at the hose connections. Denso compressors usually have their hoses mounted in the center, while Sanden usually has the inlet/outlet at the rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back