Honda dealer will NOT install Magnefine filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A transmission is a fluid pump. What works for one fluid pump ought to work for another pumping similar fluid. Most ATF's are fairly similar, so for the sake of argument they're similar. The Magnefine has not shown to be a restriction in flow. Having two in service (one on a Honda 5-speed automatic transmission), I can't tell they're installed except by looking.

I'm not surprised a Honda dealer would refuse to install it. It's a chance they would not sell a remanufactured transmission to the OP.

Quote:

Did they tell you the interval to change that magnefine filter? I think it is 10k or 15k, I can't be sure though.

They did not, but I asked and they said whenever you change the fluid and filter.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
I can't imagine any new-car dealership installing the MagneFine or any other aftermarket, non-OEM part. Why the surprise?

Well, yes and no. The 1/2" Magnefine is rebadged as a FORD OEM approved after market part. So, you're right. They're installing a Ford part.

And what commonalities do Ford and Honda transmissions have? Nothing.

Fundamental physics of hydraulics perhaps? Then again, they may run on Honda Zen magic fairy dust.

You should know that the laws of physics do not apply to Hondas. That is why, with just the addition of a [censored] can and a few stickers, they allegedly gain 50HP....when no other make of car would get those HP gains from those mods.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
You should know that the laws of physics do not apply to Hondas. That is why, with just the addition of a [censored] can and a few stickers, they allegedly gain 50HP....when no other make of car would get those HP gains from those mods.

DUDE!!! I put yellow Xpel films on my fiancee's Honda's fogs, and totally gained +70 whp! It was crazy fast and easy to find in parking lots!

Then I put in a Magnefine in the transmission return line, and the pumping losses gave a -70 whp. So we're back where we started.
lol.gif

first off the honda reman trannys do now come with one of these filters, honda will not sell you one as they only include it with the new tranny. also most honda dealerships will not install an aftermarket (non replacement part) due to the fact that honda is big on customer satisfaction and if the add on part causes an issue the customer will more then likely blame the dealership.american honda will come down hard on a dealership for such an issue, they are also very arrogant with regards to if they did'nt make/don't use it then it is inferior.they have this attitude with design as well, they held on to the distributor well after everyone else got rid of them, they are also hanging on to an inferior hybrid system soley because they don't want to admit defeat from toyotas system. and as far as i know hondas are the only cars currently made that require valve adjustments.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ross
[/quote]

Did they tell you the interval to change that magnefine filter? I think it is 10k or 15k, I can't be sure though.

Magnefine recommends 30K intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
first off the honda reman trannys do now come with one of these filters, honda will not sell you one as they only include it with the new tranny.

I had heard Honda was negotiating with Boss Products on the Magnefine but hadn't heard whether it went through.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
first off the honda reman trannys do now come with one of these filters, honda will not sell you one as they only include it with the new tranny.

I had heard Honda was negotiating with Boss Products on the Magnefine but hadn't heard whether it went through.

Honda doesn't use Magnefines. It's an inline cannister filter.

I installed magnefine filters on both my vehicles. The Chevy dealership told me they didn't recommend having hose clamps of any kind on the cooler lines, but didn't make a big deal out of it. They noted it on a work order once.

I've never had my Honda in the dealership, other than to check idle speed once. No idea what they'd say about it, but I installed it in a nonvisible location. It wouldn't be noticeable unless you're looking for it.

Installing one on the OP vehicle shouldn't be too hard. Make sure they install it on the return line and use good clamps (fuel injection clamps or something similar would be a nice idea). I did mine using a hose cutter and measured out a few inches of hose, snip/snip, and install. If you're in doubt, I wouldn't recommend doing it.

bigmike - I ended up using the screw style clamps that came with the Magnefine filter are these not good enough/high enough quality? It would be a nightmare if they came off. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Honda doesn't use Magnefines. It's an inline cannister filter.
Oddly enough the Honda Fit uses an inline cannister filter

All Hondas after 2007-2008 have a canister filter that is accessible from the top. The only Honda to have an field-serviceable filter in the tranny are the older Legends.

Originally Posted By: DaddyBlogger
bigmike - I ended up using the screw style clamps that came with the Magnefine filter are these not good enough/high enough quality? It would be a nightmare if they came off. Thank you.

Read the discussion here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1901651

I think screw clamps are sufficient and worked fine on my Honda, but on my Chevy I couldn't get them to stop leaking on one clamp. I even replaced the clamp with another screw clamp and it did the same thing. Had to switch to FI clamps to get it to stop.

...They sarcastically asked me if I poured water through a coffee filter would it not indeed slow down the flow of the water as it passes through the filter?

How do I respond to this and is it true? Obviously I will have to have someone else install it but I was not sure how to respond to what they said and whether or not there was any merit to what they were saying.

Thank you for your help.

You should remind Mr. Sarcastic that unless he has a truly high-tech coffee maker, he's talking about dripping water passing through a filter with no "motivation" other than gravity. ATF gets moved around the system under strong pressure provided by a positive pressure pump, a component that is not part of your coffee maker. What they're telling you is NONSENSE.

those will do fine, the factory clamps on most hondas are a spring type that just use the tension of the spring steel they are made out of, if you have ever used these clips (especially old one)you know that they can be inconsistent in how well they hold/seal.

Even for the new Honda transmissions that have inline filters, extra filtration can't hurt. I'll have to cut open the inline filter on my fiancee's 09 Fit this winter when I'm snowed in. I'm guessing it's filled with felt like the filter in my Buick. You know, a "rock-catcher" instead of a true filter. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back