Maxlife Syn 10w30, 7000 miles 4.9L F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, look at all the moly and calcium in the Maxlife Synthetic!

F1506-2010oil.jpg

Aside from throwing a little Pb, it actually doesn't look too shabby.

Oxidation and Nitration are inverted from what I'm used to. Oxidation always exceeded nitration in any report I've seen. I haven't a clue what it would mean, but it's different.

They don't list any make up on the report.

1/2 quart of makeup, this truck uses practically no oil. Sump is about 5.5 qts, not sure where they get "2.0" from. No additives in this brew, Max Syn is robust enough by itself, eh?

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in seeing UOA's from Valvoline products as you don't see very many of them here. Odd though, I thought that Valvoline had less Calcium and more Sodium in their additive package.

Note that the previous OCI on that lab report (changeout Oct 09) was Straight 30 weight Valvoline Premium Coventional with a 15 oz bottle CD2 High Mileage additive and 5 oz SLOB (both about 4000+ ppm zinc and phosphorus, no moly).

Well, the high numbers could be partly attributable to the fact that I drive it hard, not abusive (no dumping the clutch, etc.), just hard, foot in the pedal a lot, I like to stomp the pedal and make it lurch out. Like to wind it out (yeah, haha, 3600 rpm is winding this motor out). Like to have a good time driving it.

It's only flagged abnormal for the nitration. While I wouldn't be upset at the Pb, it would be more "noise" than I would like. It's probably still recovering from its second purging of machining leftovers from back in 05. which can be seen here!

The rest is fairly respectable for a 60's engine design with all the non-bells and non-whistles.

I doubt that there's a VOA of this with oxi and nit numbers in the VOA section.

How do you think M1 HM 10w-30 would do here?

This oil has been in service (am I reading it right) 8 full months?

Those engines used tri-metal bearings and due to the long crank in them they would flex alot(especially if you wind one up). The bearings shed metal alot regardless of oil brand. It'll run about 300K before you start hearing that deep rumble when you start her up. The bearings will look horrible upon inspection but the crank will mic out perfect. I had an 88 F-250 with the old granny gear 4spd and the 4.9L engine. Sucked gas,was slow,but would haul/tow bout anything I needed it to.

Sucked gas, is slow, but man when you stomp the pedal around 2000 rpm it really gives you a kick in the rear. That is the feel I like.

My first ever UOA on any vehicle was this truck and was at Blackstone, well before the sand sucking PCV hose lead incident. The report was beautiful, one that any BITOG'er would frame and hang on the wall to admire. Surely I posted it here, but probably back about 2004 or earlier.

M1? I don't think it is as robust as Maxlife. Might get higher lead levels.
56.gif

Wouldn't the lead to some extent be self limiting in that lead is a lubricant (leaded gas in old days lubed the valve seats IIRC).

Frankly, the numbers above don't bother me. Nice info Mokanic, seems there is a long way for me to go, time for the body to rot off long before the engine goes south.

Next truck, either another 4.9L six, or a Ranger 4 banger with double redline (Redline Oil and Redline every time I take off from a light). Gotta be a manual tranny. I can't drive automatics very well, they confuse me.

Link to my first ever oil analysis on the F150, a beautiful report: Beautiful Oil Report Which shows this for the F150 (of course what analysis would not look great at 3000 miles?):

F150 300 cid inline six with 108,528 miles at oil sample time. Oil has 3012 miles on it. Typical driving is 15 mile trips. Blackstone comments:

"PAUL: Your first-ever oil analysis looks great! The universal averages column shows typical wear from a Ford 4.9L V-6 engine after about 3200 miles on the oil. Your oil was in use 3012 miles, and your wear levels are reading well below those averages. You could run this oil longer, if you wanted to. We'd suggest trying 4500 miles for the next oil change. Your engine can take it! The oil can take it! Your oil & air filtration systems are working well too--note silicon and insolubles. All in all, things look great. Check back next oil change to establish solid wear trends."

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 7
Copper 6
Lead 4
Tin 0
Moly 0
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 2
Silicon 12
Sodium 4
Calcium 2382
Magnesium 10
Phosphorus 732
Zinc 881
Barium 0

210F SUS Viscosity: 68.2
Flashpoint: 385
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0.0
Water: 0.0
Insolubles: 0.4

Seems like your truck never really 'recovered' from the unhooked hose incident - these levels are lot higher than I'd like to see for only 7k miles on a stout synthetic.

I've done 8800+ miles on a dino 5W-30, in mixed driving, on an 'old school' OHV engine like this, and gotten better results.

I grabbed about 70 quarts when AZ and others were offing it cheap, like $3 a quart back a few years ago. Yeah, it does not seem to be available much of anywhere--too bad.

Right, probably never will recover from the gravel shovel. Bet there are bits of grit embedded still. A shame. But it'll live as long as I need it to.

Current fill for this summer is Durablend 10w40 (vintage 2004). Late this fall I'll fill her up with Maxlife Synthetic 10w30. Next summer I have some more Durablend 10w40 and some Maxlife 10w40, and some Synpower 20w50, so I'll be running thicker stuff next two summers, unless I blow it through the Aerostar (historically 1 qt per 1300 miles).

I guess that Aerostar is a good way to 'go through' your stash...

I remember you posted some awesome shots of your stash, and the room they were housed in...any updated photos showing changes, or do the shelves look much the same?

Down to around 100 bottles, fills only two shelves instead of about 4 to 6. No longer the centerpiece, but have stuff stacked on top of the oil bottles, a makeshift bat rack in front of shelves. My oil zeal is back to what it was before I came here, which is to say I really like oil, just am not too concerned anymore about all the details. Still favor higher zddp and Valvoline and Redline. though I am running Amsoil in my motorhome Generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back