Form-A-Funnel Q+A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone-

Just wanted to introduce New Pig and our Form-A-Funnel to BITOG and open the discussion for any questions that may be out there.

We are very happy to be able to partner up with a great community like BITOG and I look forward to talking more with everyone.

Thoinks!
Andy

i have one of these funnels and it is great! the one thing i feel the need to ask is, from what i understand they are made with lead and nitrile, i'm thinking it would easier to clean as well as be more durable using silicone, i have a tough time cleaning my form a funnel off sometimes. i keep mine in my tool box to avoid other techs "sticky fingers" so i need it clean and am often busy so it is kind of important that it cleans up quikly and easily.

You guys have a great product. I've never seen an item so convenient for a variety of jobs and tasks to complete. Creative invention !
34.gif

Great idea because I had one question after I saw the video -- how easy is it to clean grit/rust off of the nitrile? I would imagine the covering is a bit tacky to help hold it in place, or is it just the lead core that holds the funnel in certain positions? My concern is that if I were to use the product to help direct some of the oil trickle that happens when I change the filter on my Dakota (Dodge engineers...) if some grit or whatever from the underside gets on the surface, how big of a deal is it to clean that off?

I'll take them in order :)...

Mopar_Monkey: First off, thanks for the kind words! We actually did experiment with silicone lamination, but silicone is not as solvent resistant, tends to have some porosity, and doesn't have the flexibility we were looking for...

That said, one of the easiest ways to clean the Form-A-Funnel is to spray with degreaser or brake clean and wipe it down... I know a lot of pro techs clean it that way.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Great idea because I had one question after I saw the video -- how easy is it to clean grit/rust off of the nitrile? I would imagine the covering is a bit tacky to help hold it in place, or is it just the lead core that holds the funnel in certain positions? My concern is that if I were to use the product to help direct some of the oil trickle that happens when I change the filter on my Dakota (Dodge engineers...) if some grit or whatever from the underside gets on the surface, how big of a deal is it to clean that off?

the lead is what keeps the shape, the rubber is there for sealing and and clean up purpose's.

opus1: Thanks!

Grit/rust/particles come right off... the nitrile is not tacky, it is the "formability" that allows the Form-A-Funnel to hold its shape and stay where you put it.

No need to worry about road grit, rust, or anything else that will come into contact with your Form-A-Funnel. Just wipe it dry, or if you want it completely clean, give it a spray of degreaser, etc.

Originally Posted By: PiggerAndy
I'll take them in order :)...

Mopar_Monkey: First off, thanks for the kind words! We actually did experiment with silicone lamination, but silicone is not as solvent resistant, tends to have some porosity, and doesn't have the flexibility we were looking for...

That said, one of the easiest ways to clean the Form-A-Funnel is to spray with degreaser or brake clean and wipe it down... I know a lot of pro techs clean it that way.

ya, i use brake clean but it is used atf that really sticks to these things. it's not a big deal and is really the only fault i can find with this product.

I'll check with our Product Development guys... my guess would be it is more about a solvent to clean the ATF than the nitrile (?).

ATF in general can be pretty tough to clean...

Originally Posted By: PiggerAndy
I'll check with our Product Development guys... my guess would be it is more about a solvent to clean the ATF than the nitrile (?).

ATF in general can be pretty tough to clean...

it really isn't a big deal, like i said it's the only thing that isn't perfect with this product.

I might've missed something, but the first time I saw it my initial thought was "Can it handle heat?". As I said I might've missed the info, but can it handle high heat either from very hot oil, or possibly the heat from coming in contact with the engine?

I had a question that I didn't really see addressed on the website, how does it stay in place without holding it up? For example, if I put it underneath the oil filter on my car, how can I keep it there without it falling off?

another thing i just thought of, do you have a contract with cornwell tools? i've only seen your funnel on the cornwell truck (also recently at napa) i think if more tools trucks carried them they would be much more common in shops, as it is now i have introduced many techs to this product that never knew such a thing existed. i have asked mac, matco,snap on,and the freelance tool reps about them and non of them had any clue what i was talking about. i just want to make sure i can easily get a replacement/second one if need be.

Last edited:
This looks like a neat product. I will look for it locally. Roughly how much does it cost?

Regarding the comment about silicone above--I think nitrile is probably a better material for this application since it has a much higher tensile strength. A sharp edge easily cuts silicone (I had to switch from silicone to nitrile for the chew toys I give to my cats--the cats could bite off chunks of silicone!)

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Roughly how much does it cost?

+1

I want one if it's not too much. I got two-three uses for it in mind already!

NAPA up the street from me has them. ~$35 for the big one and ~25 for the smaller one.
The smaller one is the one that would be the most useful for me...but I still won't pay that much for it.

sicko: Form-A-Funnel is rated to 425 degrees, so it is safe with the hottest of the hot fluids you are going to run into.

And for contact with engine parts, you would be safe with just about anything short of a header or exhaust.

ThirdeYe: It will hold its position around any crossmember, skidplate, aero tray, etc... you can form it to "grab" that surface, and it had a flexible edge to make a good seal around the filter, plug, etc.

It does not actually adhere to the filter itself, but if you have something to shape it around, it will completely hold its shape.

Thanks for your question!

mopar_monkey: We do have distribution partnerships with both Cornwell Tools and NAPA, so no worries about getting a Form-A-Funnel in the future. We have other partners signing up all the time, so they will be available other places, but you can always count on any of the distributor partners listed in "Where to Buy" on formafunnel.com

And thank you for showing it to other techs! Form-A-Funnel is just getting started, and every bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back