Oil Recommendation with all the necessary details

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for some recommendations on what oil to use. I'm not opposed to conventional, synthetic, or blended.
I have a: 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 6.0L V8 Auto

Recommended oil: SAE 5w-30 API every 3,000 miles

I live in West Texas...rarely gets below 15 degrees F

I drive pretty hard...fast & slow

Truck has 90k and that my short city trips include a lot of stop and go with some long highway trips

The only know "problem" is the typical, annoying, from the factory piston knock/slap.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome2.gif

Yeah, why the 3000 mile OCI? If it's got an OLM, there's no need to trump it unless you're doing so little mileage that it doesn't expire in a year.

If doing that makes you nervous, step up to REAL OIL. Come to where REAL OIL is ..Come to Amsoil country (cue Marlboro or The High Chaparral music )

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

If doing that makes you nervous, step up to REAL OIL. Come to where REAL OIL is ..Come to Amsoil country (cue Marlboro or The High Chaparral music )

welcome2.gif

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yeah, why the 3000 mile OCI? If it's got an OLM, there's no need to trump it unless you're doing so little mileage that it doesn't expire in a year.

welcome2.gif

sorry just dont believe in a little light to tell me everything is ok. never have never will.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
Consensus is great isn't it?

Ya, what if we lived in a communist country and we only got one, low quality, state branded oil...and had to wait in line for it.
34.gif
08.gif
(sorry, no Aussie or GB flag smileys)

I would try the Maxlife and see if it quiets the piston slap a little.

The algorithm is just more accurate than mileage. UOA has proven time and again that GM did a very good job with the OLM. Mileage is the worst way to change engine oil as it needs to vary with operating conditions and season. Fuel used is more accurate although not as accurate as the factory OLM. A little quick math says the cheapest SM/GF4 rated 5W30 you can get should be good for over 5000 mi OCI at 12 mpg average.

Since you are dumping the oil at half life their is no reason to spend more. Just buy whatever the special is as long as its a SM/GF4 rated 5W30 or 10W30. Around here that would be one of the Oil change specials that includes filter for $12.99 + 1 qt extra or Mobil DC5000, Quaker State or Havoline for $1.99 Qt + Filter Cost if you are picky about your filter.

Well after researching GMs OLM I think I AM going to start going by it. It seems they have done there R&D. So, lets base some recommendations on that.

Originally Posted By: Aaron_Johnson
Well after researching GMs OLM I think I AM going to start going by it. It seems they have done there R&D. So, lets base some recommendations on that.

Some of us already did that. Use a 5w-30/10w-30 API SL/SM rated and follow it. No need for anything more than that.

Pennzoil yellow bottle, QS green bottle, Mobil 5000, Halvoline DS and Valvoline white bottle are all EXCELLENT oils.

Bill

Synthetic will give the most protection should OLM let you run close to 10k miles OCI.

Depending on climate & driving style I wouldn't trust dino oil much past 5k miles, depending of course. I would personally split the difference cost & protection wise. I'd use a good blend or High Mileage oil since both are just more robust versions of their dino siblings.

Maxlife is one very good oil however with Pennzoil Platinum being as cheap as it is it be very hard to not go with synthetic just because. Your truck is still young even with 90k, PP could do you some good.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Some of us already did that. Use a 5w-30/10w-30 API SL/SM rated and follow it. No need for anything more than that.

Pennzoil yellow bottle, QS green bottle, Mobil 5000, Halvoline DS and Valvoline white bottle are all EXCELLENT oils.

Bill

Alright thanks for all the input guys! One more thing...which one will help the most with the piston noise? Just trial and error on my own i found mobil 1 or penzoil full syn with lucas additive seemed to help the most, but I would like to get away from the additive if possible. Also, I want to make sure I'm doing the best thing since I'm hitting high mileage. I saw Maxlife recommended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Synthetic will give the most protection should OLM let you run close to 10k miles OCI.

If the OLM allows a 10k OCI the conventional oil will be fine. It was designed around 2002 conventional oil and SM oil is better.

Plenty of UOAs prove that the OLM is VERY accurate. Even more are all the vehicles out there PROVING that with conventional oil and a OLM combo is hard to beat.

Much better than 3k or 3months which is blind.

IMO EVERY vehicle should have one and knock off with the other [censored] that we have to have on them. More oil would be save with this single item.

I wished all my vehicles had one. Only one does.

Alright thanks for all the input guys! One more thing...which one will help the most with the piston noise? Just trial and error on my own i found mobil 1 or penzoil full syn with lucas additive seemed to help the most, but I would like to get away from the additive if possible. Also, I want to make sure I'm doing the best thing since I'm hitting high mileage. I saw Maxlife recommended.

Go to Wal-Mart and pick up some red bottle Maxlife in 10w-30 and try it. Let us know how it works. Since you need 6 quarts you'll have to get a extra qt bottle or a few jugs.

Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back