Oil is Darker At Bottom Of Dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its like a Dark "Dot" at the Bottom, then about an Inch of Amber-Brown to Middle/low part of Crosshairs.

5-10 minutes after Car off. I am sure it will level off to the Darker brown that goes to Top of Crosshairs when it fully cools, but..

Why does this sometimes Happen and what does it Mean?
54.gif

And Yes, my Oil changes Colors.

It could mean the lower part of the dipstick is sitting in some kind of dark colored goo. Give us some info on the car, miles, history, OCI's type of oil used.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It could mean the lower part of the dipstick is sitting in some kind of dark colored goo. Give us some info on the car, miles, history, OCI's type of oil used.

94 Ford Probe LX
Used to be a Beater
Im 3rd or 4th owner
170,000 miles or thereabouts
Oil is 10W-40 i used to ut some MMO in it i believe ill stop doing that (To "Clean")
Added the Bottle of Moly in 2 stages, 1/2 can then 500 miles later other 1/2 Can, Both while engine Hot

2.5L 24V DOHC V6

Is this "Normal?"

OCIs are.. I did Three since owning it since the beginning of the year. 10W-40 each time, little to no Consumption. Went by Time, not Mileage.

Oh, and not only does Oil change Color from Amber Brown (Hot) to Darker Brown (Cold) the Level does too. I try to go by the "Cold" Reading. I know Oil drips after Car is shut off, from Head to Pan.

I changed the oil 2000 miles ago.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

94 Ford Probe LX
Used to be a Beater
Im 3rd or 4th owner
170,000 miles or thereabouts
Oil is 10W-40 i used to ut some MMO in it i believe ill stop doing that (To "Clean")
Added the Bottle of Moly in 2 stages, 1/2 can then 500 miles later other 1/2 Can, Both while engine Hot

2.5L 24V DOHC V6

Is this "Normal?"

OCIs are.. I did Three since owning it since the beginning of the year. 10W-40 each time, little to no Consumption. Went by Time, not Mileage.

Oh, and not only does Oil change Color from Amber Brown (Hot) to Darker Brown (Cold) the Level does too. I try to go by the "Cold" Reading. I know Oil drips after Car is shut off, from Head to Pan.

I changed the oil 2000 miles ago.

Sounds like there is some junk in there. I'd try MMO [a pint] 1000 miles before the next OCI, make sure you drain the oil hot. Just don't get burnt. Then over the winter run a qt for the full OCI.

Dark oil looks darker the more there is. I'm guessing my assumptions is wrong, but I've got to ask if it changes when you invert the dipstick so the dark spot is at the top?

Added the Bottle of Moly in 2 stages, 1/2 can then 500 miles later other 1/2 Can, Both while engine Hot...
What is this stuff? "Bottle of Moly"?!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Added the Bottle of Moly in 2 stages, 1/2 can then 500 miles later other 1/2 Can, Both while engine Hot...
What is this stuff? "Bottle of Moly"?!

038605.jpg

http://www.worldimpex.com/assets/partimages/038605.jpg

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/lubromoly-motor-oil-treatment-lubro-moly-2009_60872.html

This is in my Engine. Added 1/2 can of this Grease-looking Moly when engine was Hot, then the other half 500 miles later. Seems like Good stuff, and Moly has been reported ot be Good, as long as Mega-doses are not applied. (300ml is 1/3 the amount in RedLine Oil.)

Please see thread "Is Extra Moly Good"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bt99
DUDE,,,, gravity,,,,,,,,,there is more oil at the bottom, hence darkererer

thumbsup2.gif

You dont want tons of MoS2 in your engine. In fact I dont think you want ANY MoS2 in your engine. Wrong moly! Hench you r problem! Drain the oil. That moly will hang around for ever.

Last edited:
300ppm is is 0.03% or 3 hundreths of a percent. If you have a gallon of oil in your sump with 300ppm moly that would be equal to 0.038 ounces by volume, which is disregarding density. This is equivalent to 1.1 ml or cc. OOoooPpssss!

Last edited:
I cant believe this thread. How much drinking is involved in between pouring junk into ones engine? 'there is a bunch of dark gunk on the bottom of my dipstick. What's that?! Oh, I neglected to mention I put A WHOLE CAN of MoS2 in the engine ...' Sorry to razz Hangarh, but, Come on!, this is beyond
shocked2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
300ppm is is 0.03% or 3 hundreths of a percent. If you have a gallon of oil in your sump with 300ppm moly that would be equal to 0.038 ounces by volume, which is disregarding density. This is equivalent to 1.1 ml or cc. OOoooPpssss!

Thsnk You for the Math and I appreciate it, however the Can's Add instructions beg to Differ. I dont think the can is 100% Moly, it has other things in the Application oil besides Moly, or id summise as such. It said, from memory as i cant find the can: "Add X to Start, then 50mL per quart of Oil afterwards."

Im sure Lubro-Moly would not overlook something that basic in terms of how to apply their Moly to the engine.

Thanks for Insult, though.

Im more concerned with it being the "Wrong Moly." However, i dont think i Overdosed my ngine with Moly, based on Can's instructions and reading that Math one more time.

Ill Drain it and start the MMO for some time and watch the Oil Color. Full quart each OCI starting with 1 Quart Today. Gradual Cleaning.

I cant believe this thread. How much drinking is involved in between pouring junk into ones engine? 'there is a bunch of dark gunk on the bottom of my dipstick. What's that?! Oh, I neglected to mention I put A WHOLE CAN of MoS2 in the engine ...' Sorry to razz Hangarh, but, Come on!, this is beyond
shocked2.gif

Which is why I asked him if there were any adds. Because that IS his PROBLEM....

But what do we know?

Hanger-

There is probably junk in the engine that needs cleaning. Your problem is not with the LM you added. Again we have a case of people bashing products they haven't tried. The company is well established the product works and there are many satisfied users, myself included. Search the product here on Bitog for people who have actually used it and their reports, call the company and speak with them as well. That might set your mind at ease.

For the last 1000 miles of this OCI add a pint of MMO, next OCI use a qt and run it for the full OCI. You'll clean up the engine. You said yourself the car was a beater, changed hands a few times, and I'm guessing for the most part has an unknown history. That and the fact it is a HM vehicle leads me to believe the engine has some [censored] in it.

Good luck!

Hanger-

There is probably junk in the engine that needs cleaning. Your problem is not with the LM you added. Again we have a case of people bashing products they haven't tried. The company is well established the product works and there are many satisfied users, myself included. Search the product here on Bitog for people who have actually used it and their reports, call the company and speak with them as well. That might set your mind at ease.

For the last 1000 miles of this OCI add a pint of MMO, next OCI use a qt and run it for the full OCI. You'll clean up the engine. You said yourself the car was a beater, changed hands a few times, and I'm guessing for the most part has an unknown history. That and the fact it is a HM vehicle leads me to believe the engine has some [censored] in it.

Good luck!

Even more the reason not to be adding "products" into the engine that is a unknown.

And you are correct, I've never used or will use anything called Lubro-Moly. No NEED and why would I want to put it into my engine?

As long as my engines continue to do what they have done for me (which is do 200k+ before I sell it to someone that I know who takes it even further) with no problems (running strong, reliable, getting proper MPG and stay clean) I'm never going to even think about putting in stuff like that.

Now, MMO different story. I'd use that because of what it does. And it does it slowly.

But his problem; "Its like a Dark "Dot" at the Bottom" and he has added "Grease-looking Moly" for this thread.

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back