Dynamic VS Static or Dynamic + Static Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

prs

Can some of you post information or references comparing/contrasting static wheel/tire balance to dynamic balance of same. Is one superior in a functional sense or does it come down to econimic consideration of time efficieny and equipment costs? Is there any advantage to using static balance prior to dynamic balance? Same question regarding use of static balance prior to installation of "dyna beads" (or substitutes) or Centramatic type devices?

prs

IMHO dynamic balance beats static balance any given day and I would go for dynamic no matter what.

Back in the days of yore where tires typically run at lower speed and with narrow profile and such (technology wasn't sophisicated enough back then), static balancing was the only way to go.Also: in those days with bias ply tires, they don't matter that much anyways (IMHO, ymmv).

Nowadays with wide/low profile radial ply tires, high speed, etc. tires have to be balanced on a machine that simulate a tire in motion (aka "rolling") and dynamic balancing is the only true way to acheive comfort, low vibration and stability when the tires are doing high speed.

So, why would someone still "insists" on doing static balancing when dynamic balancing is the only way to go?

*curious*

Q.

Last edited:
The only good reason for static is vanity, like if you have pretty alloys and don't want weights on the outside. It's not so good.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The only good reason for static is vanity, like if you have pretty alloys and don't want weights on the outside. It's not so good.

IIRC, you balance your own tires.

Is vanity why you static balance your tires?
grin2.gif

Static balance only balances a tire about one axis, the axis through center of the wheel bearings.

A tire can also be off balance side to side. A dynamic balance takes care of that.

Originally Posted By: XS650

grin2.gif

Nah, lack of proper equipment. Static works for me on 65 series and taller, and on the rear. But when I get a dynamic imbalance in front it yanks on my steering wheel back & forth, pretty irritating. At that point I go to WM for a $5 dynamic job.

It is like the people that cant embrace the new modern oils and still insist on old school oil,dynamic is the new method and makes static obsolete.

Originally Posted By: XS650

grin2.gif

Nah, lack of proper equipment. Static works for me on 65 series and taller, and on the rear. But when I get a dynamic imbalance in front it yanks on my steering wheel back & forth, pretty irritating. At that point I go to WM for a $5 dynamic job.

I couldn't resist making that comment.
cheers3.gif

Some rims, even newer stock rims, won't allow for weight placement on the outside of the wheel. Then it is static with clip weights on the inside or those friggin tape weights...

The HUNTER web site explains wheel balancing.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/videos/index2.cfm?v=15

An alloy wheel can be balanced better with only one tape weight when the tire tech knows how to properly use the wheel balancer.

Also, using clip-on weights on alloy wheels causes more problems than just scratches. The zinc in clip-on weights will cause corrosion on aluminum wheels.

-----------------------------------------------------

1999 OLDS GLS 3.4L

Last edited:
I would definitely use the dynamic balance it is superior to the static. The only time I would use "dyna beads" is in Large truck tires of large mudder tires which require a lot or weight.

Dynamic only is already out of date.
grin2.gif

Nowadays, you need both road force and dynamic balancing for the lower-profile applications.
wink.gif

I have a related question. Is clip weight balance for both inside and outside weights a better balance than clip for inner and tape weight for outer? Also when using a Hunter balancer is it a not of good balance when you use the "Smart Spoke" feature to hide tape weights behind spokes vs. putting them in one spot regardless if it between spokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back