For bad roads, is a stiffer suspension better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, let's define "better" as: better at ROAD-HOLDING.

and, also bad roads are regular normal paved roads in the USA that have a significant percentage of cracks, bumps, or little potholes (little potholes are the ones you drive through and not around.)

After much reading and just pondering the physics of it, I would guess that on bad roads--softer is better.

Here's why I think so: When you hit a bump, the tires & suspension absorbs much of the bump, the springs compress (with the help of dampers). The driver and the rest of the car (the sprung weight) will also feel a bit of it but most of it is already absorbed. The shock is absorbed, the tires maintain contact with the road.

Now, let's consider a scenario where the car has a very stiff suspension. When you hit a bump, a much stiffer suspension is no real suspension at all. The entire vehicle absorbs the shock and that vertical motion causes the car to lose contact with the road.

This is a subject that I have given much thought about for a long time. Obviously, the answer is to do a semi-scientific test: that is, to adjust the suspension of the car and just take a ride myself. I, unfortunately, cannot afford such a luxury.

Pondering about it and asking others to chime in is the best I can do.

SO, what do you think of my analysis. Would you say that stiffer is definitely not better for poor roads?

My logic agrees with yours. In order for the tires to ride the bumps without leaving the pavement, the suspension would have to be softer than it would be on "good" roads.
I would think that the stiffer setting not only compromises ride quality, but also the structural integrity of the car (over time) and road holding.

Last edited:
ford makes a "country suspension" falcon down here which has added ground clearance and i think a softer ride. stiff suspensions down do well on aussie country roads unless you live outside of the north of the state (our roads are pretty bad)

The problem with softer suspension for bad roads is that softer suspension bottoms out easier. Also if you go softer than about 1Hz (1 cycle/second) on suspension you induce motion sickness. You also slow down steering response and make it difficult to control body lean.

1 cyles/second is about where large luxury cars suspension stiffness is. Drive a full sized Cadillac as hard as you can without bottoming the suspension down a really torn up road, then drive a modern off road vehicle down the same road or trail at the same speed and see which works better.

Colin Chapman the founder of lotus knew a thing or two about suspension systems, his cars tended to be softly sprung, yet well damped (well tuned shock absorbers)

Originally Posted By: expat
Colin Chapman the founder of lotus knew a thing or two about suspension systems, his cars tended to be softly sprung, yet well damped (well tuned shock absorbers)

They were lousy off road though.

Originally Posted By: XS650

The original poster wasn't asking about off road performance. He was asking about on road (albeit poor road) performance. He defined better as "road holding".

Off road discussion would not be relevant to the original posters question.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: XS650

The original poster wasn't asking about off road performance. He was asking about on road (albeit poor road) performance. He defined better as "road holding".

Off road discussion would not be relevant to the original posters question.

Nor is a Lotus.

It sure depends on the shock/strut dampening.
The static rate of a spring is not as relevant as how fast it responds.

This is hugely dependent on the shock/strut fluid and valving.

It is really a matter of suspension travel and damping.
The Aerostar is not happy on a rough road.
On a reasnably smooth interstate, it feels fine going as fast as you'd like.
An old Mercedes W123 cares not. The rougher it is, the more the car likes it.
The Accords are okay on rough roads.
The little BMW is a surprise.
Going fast over rough pavement, it is perfectly happy.
It has plenty of travel, and good damping.
The Forester is at home on rough roads.
Ample travel, and good damping.
So I guess the answer, IMHO, is moderately soft springs, plenty of travel, and good damping make for a good suspension on a less than smooth road.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
our roads are pretty bad

Our roads around here are nothing to brag about either. I think that's why I like the two Holdens I've had so much - their robust suspensions and construction are perfect for our crummy roads, and they're right at home in our summer heat.

Two words: Heck no.

I've driven Mercedes, the big W126 which was relatively soft-sprung for a Euro car, and the small W202 C-Class, on these cart tracks here in The Swamp. Stiffer is NOT better, not for ride quality or, I'll bet, for the longevity of the car's suspension parts.

The Buick is great, but the roads here may be winning.

Softer as in worn out....no. Something that absorbs the bumps...yes. My truck has a pretty stiff suspension...all aftermarket. I guess i need to go alittle faster over bumps.

It depends on several factors:

1) What velocity are you traveling at?
2) Are the bumps raised or lowered?
3) What is the frequency of the bumps?

The higher the velocity is relative to the distance between bumps, the more firmer suspension wins out.

Last edited:
I think you need to really have a good (removed non site sponsor link) if you want to make your suspension really good on a bad road,like those who have a "terrain"-like feel. Also, you need to really check out and see if things are really ok when you will change it to a stiffer one. And try to see some reviews if the part suits your vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a moderate suspension stiffness in my Jeep, it holds the road fine on rough roads, although it does get a little bit of side-skip (mostly in the rear) if you push it in a corner on a rough road, due to the solid axles. Not a bad feeling though (unless you're used to driving a FWD econobox, then it might scare you the first time), and it doesn't threaten loss of control.

I was told that a softer suspension allows more travel of the components. This enhanced travel wears out the parts more quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back