Consequences of running 10W-30 in 0W-20 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used 2009 Camry 4 cylinder which calls for 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil. It came from a car rental company and got Havoline 10W-30 for 36,700 miles, 5,000 mile change intervals.
Rest assured that I will change the oil to Mobil 1 5W-20 very soon, but what damage would have been done to the engine for running the wrong oil for that long?
If rental cars are run hard, would you say it was protective of the engine in any way to have the thicker oil in the crankcase? Possibly thicker minimum oil film thickness in journal bearings.

I say don't worry about it. I really doubt any damage has occurred, and like you said, being a rental it might have actually been beneficial.

I would bet zero damage. New cars do use oil for a variety of things other than the lubrication of engine ... well the new cam systems, variable valve timing many other things.. but I assure you that the engine builders can not cast, nor hold (they can hold the tolerance,but cost would be around a NASA space shuttle) they can not hold tolerance on a part, much less call out specs when building these engine that come anywhere near the thickness of oils between cold, and hot... much less a 5w-20 to a 10w-30... now I may get flamed by everyone here but I will go to a 20w-50 as well...

You have NOTHING to worry about it sure seems manufacture, or someone has done a wonderful job of scaring people when it comes to oil.. and spreading mis information when it comes to viscosity

What happened? All those people that rented that car walked away thinking the Toyota got [censored] gas mileage.

I got a customer, an older gentleman, that has a Ford Fusion. Brought it to me from day 1, religious about 3k/3mo. Ran nothing but 5W/20. One day he brings me some quarts of SuperTech 10W/30 and has me put them in, instead.

Brought it back in and I asked him where his oil was, assuming he wanted to continue the 10W/30. He said nope, wasn't worth it, he got crummier gas mileage.

That's just my experience.

Last 4 vehicles we have owned/own call for 5W20 and that is what we have used.

Gets hot here during the summer months. We are just north of the Florida line.

We just go by what the Oil Cap - Manuals that came with the vehicles call for.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
What happened? All those people that rented that car walked away thinking the Toyota got [censored] gas mileage.

I got a customer, an older gentleman, that has a Ford Fusion. Brought it to me from day 1, religious about 3k/3mo. Ran nothing but 5W/20. One day he brings me some quarts of SuperTech 10W/30 and has me put them in, instead.

Brought it back in and I asked him where his oil was, assuming he wanted to continue the 10W/30. He said nope, wasn't worth it, he got crummier gas mileage.

Ford claims .6% fuel economy improvement with 5W20. Most people don't notice this, your customer must be very detail oriented...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great input!!!
This car's engine is a Variable valve timing engine. Does that use the oil as hydraulic fluid? Is Havoline (bulk oil that a car rental place would use) Group II?
I'm a big fan of Mobil 1 after doing 2 quality audits of their plant in Beaumont TX. The Walmart near me had every viscosity of Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs for $21! My diesel jeep takes 0W-40 or 5W-40, they had both.
The camry will get Mobil 1 5W-20 and a NAPA Gold filter by Independence day.
Now a question about tranny fluid.

You only noticeable difference is going to be in fuel economy. I actually think, over a long period, you will find better engine life with the thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: HWEaton

Ford claims .6% fuel economy improvement with 5W20. Most people don't notice this, your customer must be very detail oriented...

Told me he went from 30 something a gallon to 19/20'ish a gallon. Mind you this is driving over 100 miles each way from town to the VA hospital. It's not like this seventy year old man puts his foot into it, don't ya know.

Regardless, that is what he told me his trip computer was telling him.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
There's probably 10W-30 oil in that engine all over the world...

Most likely

Originally Posted By: Roy Gutfinski
You only noticeable difference is going to be in fuel economy. I actually think, over a long period, you will find better engine life with the thicker oil.

+1 especially in a rental fleet car. that oil would shear to a 20 weight anyway after hard use. one of my favorite comic lines always was,

You can do things to a rental car that you wouldn't even think of doing to your own car. I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back