Amsoil MTG 75W-90 vs Dyaqueen for Evo 8 Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, would like to know how the Amsoil MTG 75W-90 compares to the standard Mitsubishi Dyaqueen 75W-90 oil for an Evo 8 6sp transmission?

Is the Amsoil truly 100% group 4 base stock synthetic or group 3 or group 3 & 4 synthetic?

The Evo transmissions are known for their notchy feel and the synchros can wear easily making the problem worse. High rpm shifting can also be a challenge with the wrong oil. Certain oils make them almost undriveable. I am looking for an oil that will give me smooth shifts and the best wear protection.

I would appreciate some feedback from Evo owners if there are any here.

I am also about to use the Amsoil SVT 75W-110 oil for the rear diff and transfer case, as with a cSt of 20.4 at 100*C it is just above the middle of the SAE90 range (which the Evo 8 requires). I am hoping it will provide some added protection over the standard oil, but be suitable for the street and daily use, as I'd like to minimize wear but don't want to have to baby the diff day to day due to high viscosity oils. Any opinions regarding the SVT 75W-110 for that application?

Last edited:
Redline Mt-90 has got rid my 3rd gear synchro issue. I have 2002 Mazda Protege 5 for my winter beater and use it, I recommend it for a synchro problem. I had a minor grind with 4 of 10 shifts into 3rd grinding.

I am about to make the switch in my evo 9 to amsoil MTG.. i have it on my shelf and just haven't found the time to do it yet. i have been using GM Synchromesh since i dumped the factory fill, the synchromesh has been like butter, much better then the Diagueen. i change it out every other oil change i have 20k miles on my evo now. wanted to switch to the Amsoil MTG to get the proper weight in there. would like to hear peoples experience with the Amsoil MTG

Amsoil is superb. But in your car? Only way to tell is to try it.
It will be good at a minimum, but who knows if it will be very good in your car.

Alright, I've ordered the Amsoil MTG 75W90 for my transmission, and the Amsoil SVT 75W110 for the transfer case and rear diff. I'll report back in this thread once I know how it's performing.

Just changed all the fluids yesterday in My Evo 9. put the Amsoil MTG in the tranny and it shifts like beautifully.. just as good if not better then the GM Synchromesh i was running, but now its the proper weight in here for better protection, you will be very happy with it. the only thing is i see you are going to put SVT 75w110 in the rear diff? Amsoil doesn't actually spec an equivalent for the rear diff on evos. I would only use the Mitsubishi Diaqueen sae 90 LSD in the rear... I only use it in the transfer case also.
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*[1]
Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (SSOQT)
SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ATMQT)
XL 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLTQT)
All TEMPS......10W-30
Manual Transmission,5-SPD - W5M51......GL-4
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
Manual Transmission,6-SPD - W6MAA......GL-4
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
Limited Slip Differential, Rear......GLS [2]
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation
Transfer Case,......GL-5
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT)
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT)
75W-90 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGRQT)
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid......PS
Power Steering Fluid (PSFCN)
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)
Clutch Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)
[1] Must use synthetic engine oil.
[2] Mitsubishi Diamond Queen LSD Gear Oil.
*from Amsoil website*

Changed the gearbox, transfer case and rear diff oils today with the Amsoil products I bought.

The MTG 75W-90 is excellent in the gearbox, very smooth shifting and an improvement over the unknown oil that was in there. The SVT 75W-110 was used in the transfer and rear diff, and it appears to be working well too.

I used the SVT 75W-110 in the transfer and rear diff as the stock oil doesn't give enough protection when you drive hard (like on a track) and many guys here have blown rear diffs using the stock oil. I don't track the car, but wanted to increase the protection I was getting, same with the transfer since they wear so readily.

Many people who track their evos here in Australia use Castrol SAF-XA which is a 80W-140 for the rear diff and transfer, with no blown diffs yet that weren't pure abuse related. Some guys have gone through 2 diffs on the stock oil, then on the new diff used SAF-XA, and its outlasted both the previous diffs combined. Seems they really need that high temp protection when loaded hard, since the diff only holds 550ml.

Last edited:
yeah i am really liking the MTG in the tranny... true test will be how it feels in the winter.. it is amazing how little fluid is in the that diff and transfer case considering the power that goes through them.. anyway... keep us updated on how the SVT works...

Our winters here aren't near as bad as yours, however its around 5*C when I leave for work in the morning, so that should give a fair impression of low temp performance.

The drive train in general is basically silent now, and it just feels nice and smooth. I'll keep you updated on the SVT, been for an hour or so drive through the hills and everything's still great. I'll probably change the rear diff and transfer again in 10 - 15K kms just to get some more good oil through them, so I'll let you know what the SVT's like when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back