brake rotor cleanup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

Maybe I'm nuts but I've been mulling over if it would be feasible to have an electric motor set up with a plate/adapter to support and spin a brake rotor. In most cases when I replace pads the rotors are not damaged or warped so I don't see a need to re-cut them. However, it seems like a good idea to to me to at least do a sandpaper pass on the surfaces just as a clean-up for the new pads.
I was at Brake Check getting an alignment and I think I saw one of their guys doing this on a similar setup, except he was using an air sander. The machine was set up horizontally but I was thinking to place the motor vertically so that the rotor would be spinning like a turntable. I could then use a sanding block to evenly clean up the surfaces.

Is this delusional?
54.gif

Your idea may work if you don't plan on removing too much material. It'd be like "honing" the rotors.

I toyed with the idea of trueing rotors and drums on the lathe we have at work. I couldn't assure myself that I'd chuck the rotor without any wobble, so I scrapped the idea.

Wouldn't this be kinda sorta like getting the rotors turned? I would worry about keeping the rotor true and preventing runout or low spots from sanding. Then again all china rotors are pretty cheap nowadays.

The wheel spindle is true and the caliper bracket makes a good tool rest - no want or need to take the rotor off. For "budget" brake jobs, I use a grinding wheel on my drill to scuff up the surface and get off the rust on the edges and make a nice chamfer. Results have always been BETTER than with new rotors.

Last edited:
Thanks gents. My intent was not to take off a lot of material. just to give a freshly cleaned surface for the new pads. I was thinking that the motor would provide the ability to turn the rotor to keep the sanding pad steady for less effort on my part. I don't think that hi or lo spots would be an issue for such a very mild cleanup, probably using 220 and/or 400 grit paper.

I use NAPA rotors on almost all of our vehicles but they are more expensive than $15-$20 and I don't see that I need to change them out at every brake job if they are within spec. I typically change the pads when there is still some meat left on them and the rotors are fine so I think only a mild cleanup is needed.

I've seen those machines, but those are for taking off much more material than I am describing here. I think I will mess with this a bit to see if works like I think it should.

Rotors are even cheaper than pads.. If there's a problem, for the $20 or whatever, I just install new ones.. Too much thought over something so cheap and yet so important :D

Yes well if it isn't warped or worn WHY replace it? I've never seen a truly warped rotor. Only ones with pad residue on them making people think it was warped.
Besides the front rotor on my Buell is $150.
All four on my Mazdaspeed3 are over $250.00 but why replace them if they are still in spec?

Jim

Originally Posted By: Mud
... I don't think that hi or lo spots would be an issue for such a very mild cleanup, probably using 220 and/or 400 grit paper.

You dont use sand paper or emery cloth in this application/machining. Use either a hard tool or a grinding wheel. It also good to slot and (leading edge chamer) the pads if they are organic to allow more gas venting. You can use a file and a hacksaw for this.

Originally Posted By: Jim T
I use one of these

http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/16055.html

I built a turntable out of a lazy-susan bearing and spin the rotors on it while "honing" them with the tool mounted in a medium speed battery drill. I use it for both car & bike rotors and they work real nice.

Jim

x2 these work great and last a long time, i use the medium grit one for every brake job i do in my shop that is'nt getting rotors.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
Originally Posted By: Jim T
I use one of these

http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/16055.html

I built a turntable out of a lazy-susan bearing and spin the rotors on it while "honing" them with the tool mounted in a medium speed battery drill. I use it for both car & bike rotors and they work real nice.

Jim

x2 these work great and last a long time, i use the medium grit one for every brake job i do in my shop that is'nt getting rotors.

That is exactly what I was looking to do, thank you! I had the same idea about the lazy-susan except I was going to do a lazy-mud and set up the rotor to spin with an electric motor
55.gif
Just a way to freshen up the surface as I don't have those $20 cheaper-than-pads rotors
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back