no top tier gas stations near me. what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen both in official looking documentation. 'Top Tier fuel shall have E10' and 'Top Tier fuel will always be tested with E10 to ensure that it is compatible.'

Whether or not it's required doesn't matter. Eventually All fuel will have E10 so long as there are politicians to pay off.

Michigan MCLA Section 290.644
E0-E10 does not need to be labeled.

Originally Posted By: eddyzima
I live in western pa and do not have any of the so called top tier gas availible. the only local stations are bp, citgo, sheetz, and sunoco. what brad should I run? I would like to keep my engines clean without adding anything to my fuel.
frown.gif

eddyzima,

I'd choose Sunoco or BP myself. I have a "top tier" station (Shell) just down the block BUT it cost too much for my pocket (3.75/gallon/regular) so I use Cosco or ARCO (BP product) in both my car and truck. Now and then I put in a big bottle of Chevron's "Techron" and live my life.

Durango

I try to stick to "major" brands now. For you I would say that would be Sunoco or BP.

Another option for people might be putting a little MMO in with each tankful.

BP/Amoco fuel is very high quality and has a very good additive package, probably as good as the "top-tier" guys, but BP chooses not to particapate in the program.

The "ethanol in top tier" confusion has come up several times. The quote everyone is using describes the test conditions through which the additives must be tested. The final fuel does NOT have to contain ethanol. The additives must be proven effective even in the presence of ethanol. If you read the entire test procedure there are also other contaminants that must be present during the test to prove that the additives are effective even in the presence of those contaminants. Below is a link from 3 years ago when I first noticed the confusion.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post302734

You are fuelish (foolish) to use Sunoco since it's ethanol content is so high. It turns to alcohol and water very quickly and can eventually cause your engine seals to dry out, just like as old sot! I have seen BMW owners use Sunoco because of it's higher octane ratings. BUt it makes sludge, and cuases seal wear due to it's drying effects!
19.gif

"Whether or not it's required doesn't matter. Eventually All fuel will have E10 so long as there are politicians to pay off."

Let's hope it doesn't get to 15%....

Originally Posted By: rgmuske
You are fuelish (foolish) to use Sunoco since it's ethanol content is so high. It turns to alcohol and water very quickly and can eventually cause your engine seals to dry out, just like as old sot! I have seen BMW owners use Sunoco because of it's higher octane ratings. BUt it makes sludge, and cuases seal wear due to it's drying effects!
19.gif

Such a fact filled expert opinion!

Who is Policing the top tier stations? I bet noone. The Shell near me has horrid gas, the one 10 miles out of my way spectacular. I fear there is no way to insure you are getting top tier. I would buy what runs well along your path of travel and add your fav detergent. A pain but ...

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
BP since it has Invigorate now.
Is every fuel dist going to call their detergent pkg by some pet name to make it seem special?

I would use what ever is available in your local neighborhood and just every other month put in a big bottle of "Techron" additive to increase your detergency in the gas tank. The main thing is a strong detergency package.

Durango

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
..The Shell near me has horrid gas, the one 10 miles out of my way spectacular....

And you determined this how exactly?

BTW, who dredges up these useless old threads?

So it appears "Top Tier" doesn't necessarily mean much to most folks. I can't honestly say I know there is a big difference, but could I even prove there is from any given gas station?

Hmm.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
So it appears "Top Tier" doesn't necessarily mean much to most folks. I can't honestly say I know there is a big difference, but could I even prove there is from any given gas station?

Hmm.

I wouldn't say that. With Top Tier you know what you're getting. Without Top Tier, its anybody's guess.

I've heard variations in how the vehicles run between one top tier station and another.

I suppose my point was this: Can you pull up to any given station that is proclaimed to be "top tier" and guarantee the gas you are getting is up to that standard or even much different from BP, Exxon, etc.?

I like to think that this means all the gas has additives mixed in once it leaves the supplier tanks, but other than taking their word for it, can it be proven?

The newer ford mustangs have a "ford recommends BP fuel" sticker right on the gas cap..

I rented a couple this past year, and yep its still there.

My guess is that top tier, and the rest of it is mostly marketing.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Exxon and Mobil and a few others have been added to the top tier list, BP is still not on there.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

I saw that new addition of Exxon too. About time they got with the program! While driving around western Montana last week, I saw that Sinclair gas stations are everywhere. Sinclair is not top tier, but they do have a neat dinosaur corporate logo..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back