arco with graphite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember that stuff, around 1976 or so. they finally realized that the graphite did not enhance the oil and gave up on it. Plus, many buyers did not like seeing black oil from the get go after changing the oil

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzMtMjAxMDA2MTktMTcyM.jpg

Those old oils cans are pretty cool. I only remember a few of them around the farm when i was younger but im to young to remember when oil actually came in cans like this. I would be a cool thing to collect.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
15,000 miles or one year!

Probably when the oil/gas crunch hit...

I used this stuff back in the day.
I ran nothing like 15K, although I did run the recommended drain interval, which was something like 6500 miles, IIRC.
Only later did I drink the 3K Koolaid.
It took BITOG to deprogram me from that.
I don't know that the oil did any real good, but it didn't seem to do any harm.

Note that the "can" was made mostly of paper. A few did seem to have a thin "foil" layer sandwiched with the paper. Only the bottom and top were made of metal. The fun part was opening the can with the oil spout of that era which if not sharp enough, would crush the can and make a mess of things.

Real early cans were all metal.

I have several of the spouts...they are as collectible as the cans because there are so many types.

I just happened on to this during my move...thought someone would get a kick out of it. I also have a PZ can and a bank that is a oil can with a slot in the lid (yes, this was an actual bank).

That is cool!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Those old oils cans are pretty cool. I only remember a few of them around the farm when i was younger but im to young to remember when oil actually came in cans like this. I would be a cool thing to collect.

I used 'em. Still have a puncture spout around here somewhere...(best thing that ever happened was plastic, resealable bottles though.)
Got a couple full paper cans of Valvoline 10W-40. It's amazing they still don't leak.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
That is cool!
thumbsup2.gif

I used 'em. Still have a puncture spout around here somewhere...(best thing that ever happened was plastic, resealable bottles though.)
Got a couple full paper cans of Valvoline 10W-40. It's amazing they still don't leak.

I wonder if old data sheets for stuff like this still exists. Actually it would be pretty hard to find because nobody had computers so how would you even get a data sheet. Maybe Johnny or another insider has one in a filing cabinet or something that could be scanned. it would be interesting to see 10w40 of the 70s compared to today.

I wonder if old data sheets for stuff like this still exists. Actually it would be pretty hard to find because nobody had computers so how would you even get a data sheet. Maybe Johnny or another insider has one in a filing cabinet or something that could be scanned. it would be interesting to see 10w40 of the 70s compared to today.

Yes it would. Could send some to lab for a VOA--even HT/HS if you wanted to spend the money.
Between the two, probably give you more than would have been printed on an old public data sheet.

Johnny? Got a file on these?
lol.gif

I sold this oil out of our Atlantic-Richfield Service Station in the late 70's, though I only recommended it as an additive of 1 qt/5 qt sump. The main complaint I heard was folks couldnt tell when their oil was dirty since this stuff was coal black out of the can. Made it quite easy to read the dipper though
wink.gif
Also, coincidentally we lost the engine in our circle track car running it. I never tore that motor down and perfomed a FMEA.

I read somewhere the grahpite clogged up some engines--I have no idea if it's true or not.

Is ARCO even still in business?

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I read somewhere the grahpite clogged up some engines--I have no idea if it's true or not.

Is ARCO even still in business?

Graphite was used in applications that didn't have oil filters with no ill effects...but as tolerances got tighter and we added filters, I could see where there might be a problem. Thw other additive of the time was Mica (i.e. Motor Mica).

I think Arco was absorbed by one of the other companies?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I sold this oil out of our Atlantic-Richfield Service Station in the late 70's, though I only recommended it as an additive of 1 qt/5

My 77 Vega really like a 50:50 mix with PYB.

I spilled the used AG on my mom's driveway. 30+ years later, the stain is still there. I liked it, but it was a pretty bad idea I guess.

I used it in a '78 Chev 350 p/u tow truck and in my '76 Honda Accord. It worked perfectly and the issue of clogging filters and passageways is bogus, I think. The only failure in the Chebby was a pushrod that was improperly heat treated and the oil wouldn't cure that. The Honda's engine was clean and all the cam surfaces were polished to a mirror like finish. Same with the rocker balls on the Chebby.

I'd no doubt that it would have gone 15K OCIs.

It was good stuff and I was really pi$$'d when ARCO took it off the market and I had to return to $$$$$ synthetics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back