Using 2 ramps and 2 jackstands to lift car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Originally Posted By: cp3
Ya I'm suprised how many people don't approve. I don't see how this is so much more dangerous than 4 jack stands?

The car rolls off the ramps, the jack stands collapse and the person under the car gets squished.

I concur...I wouldn't try it. Spring for two more jackstands.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
For some reason, the Rhino/Blitz Company doesn't want you to use the ramps other than to support one end of the car at a time. Maybe someone should ask them why?

I don't have any quotes right now but I'm pretty sure I've seen the same instructions printed on jack stand labels. Anyone with me on this?

EDIT: I'm not attempting to encourage ignoring of safety labels ... I've wondered about the reasoning behind this type of label on both ramps and stands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rationull
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
For some reason, the Rhino/Blitz Company doesn't want you to use the ramps other than to support one end of the car at a time. Maybe someone should ask them why?

I don't have any quotes right now but I'm pretty sure I've seen the same instructions printed on jack stand labels. Anyone with me on this?

EDIT: I'm not attempting to encourage ignoring of safety labels ... I've wondered about the reasoning behind this type of label on both ramps and stands.

I am. Just looked up some instructions, same thing, not for both ends at once or one side. Personally, I would do it either way. I only have one set of each so that is what I would use if I had to.

I have also done it several times before. Only on absolutely level concrete and with an assistant to hold the brakes on the vehicle until it is up on the stands, to prevent it from creeping backward at all on the ramps as the rear is lifted or lowered.

Last edited:
Whenever one axle is on stand, I always make sure there are wedges and blocks to prevent the other axle from moving even if the ebrake is off. I've made mistake a few times and the car roll forward or backward, tip over the stand, and collapse (I was never under the car until I do a push test to see if it is stable).

Make sure your ramp has something (bricks, etc) around it to prevent the ramp from moving, and on top of the ramp make sure you have wedge and brick to block your wheel from moving. It is never perfectly safe under a car, but hopefully this will make it safer.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You can drive forward or backwards on ramps. Whichever works.
Then jack the other end up and put it on stands.
With proper placement, I would have no problems with this.

Agreed as long as you have "good" jackstands with a wide base and rated for the weight, we have had motorcoaches on ramps and stands before we had hoists for them. Never get under a car with your tire jack or hydraulic jacks only, also using wooden or cement blocks is not good -wood can split-cement can crack

Originally Posted By: cp3
Ya I'm suprised how many people don't approve. I don't see how this is so much more dangerous than 4 jack stands?

Agreed. This isn't nuclear physics here...

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

The car rolls off the ramps, the jack stands collapse and the person under the car gets squished.

Drama....

Some of you make it out like the car is going to have a mind of it's own and try to roll off on purpose...

O/P- drive forward on the ramps, stick it in park and jack the back up and use stands... OR back up the ramps, set the brake and use the stands for the front. Doesn't matter.

Last edited:
When your car is on the jack stands at all four corners, there is nothing to prevent it from toppling off the stands. When the two wheels are on the ground and properly choked (along with rear brake/auto-transmission-in-park/manual-in-reverse), it will be more difficult for the car to topple off.

What really matters is the force required. If all four jack stands are upright, on level ground, and at the right places on the car, it would take quite a tremendous amount of force to push the car off.

If the jack stands are set incorrectly, or just flimsy, that is another story...

Jack stands just love to sink into the soft blacktop - sink and inch and all stability is lost. The ability to chock 2 wheels (Fwd and Rwd of travel) of one axle is what lends the stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back