how to? Do a Seafoam Treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the proper method of doing a seafoam treatment on a 4 cycle B&S engine? How much seafoam per gallon gasoline? Some people have said to use deep creep for lawn mower engines instead of the regular can because you can shoot it into the carb?

Thanks

With SeaFoam, I used to put in about an ounce per gallon on my OPE, but now I am using MMO at 1 oz per gallon. I still use SeaFoam, but MMO is much cheaper and seems to work well. The SeaFoam, I use as an initial cleaner, then run MMO as a preventative.

Dave

Wow, and I was thinking this was another user asking how to do the Seafoam procedure...again :)

Anyways, 1 oz. per gallon in the gas. You'll have to check their site though I _think_ I recall reading 1.5 oz - 2 oz. per gallon of gasoline/oil mixture.....

As far as for the carb/throat, use whatever is easiest for you :) Deep Creep is basically the same properties as Seafoam pour-can - only with the added propellant for the aerosol :) The Deep Creep is easier to monitor though, since you can shoot short/long bursts into the carb.....with the Seafoam all you can do is keep a steady wrist to know when to pour more, or pour less.

Edit: OK, I took a gander to their page, and it seems for 4-cycle engines to use 1 oz per gallon per gallon of fuel. BUT for the oil, it says to use 1.5 oz. per quart of oil. But if you want to use it to remove moisture in fuel, then use 2 oz. per gallon of gas/oil mix.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

Last edited:
Spraying anything into the carb, and hoping it will clean it out doesn't really do much good.It goes right into the cylinder, not the carb. For cleaning the fuel system you have to add the cleaner to the gas, then run the treated gas until it's used up. This way it passes thru all the internals and cleans as it goes. I tend to add more then called for to help speed up the process. And sometimes it doesn't work and you need to take the carb apart and soak it to get it working right. But the cleaner thing is always something to try first.,,

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Will sea foam work on 2 stroke engines? What is the application rate?

SeaFoam is probably more effective on two cycle engines because it sees every aspect of the engines's operations. It goes through the carb jets and passages. Makes it's way through the crankcase and into the combustion chamber. I've used SeaFoam mixed at 1 oz. per gallon of fuel. In some cases, I've used two or three times that ratio mixed in much smaller amounts to treat a particularly rough running engine.

I may have possibly seen an improvement in an engine's operation after running a fairly concentrated dose of SeaFoam through it. Hard to say for sure. The engine did run better but was it the SeaFoam or did a small piece of debris clear itself from the carb?

it is certainly not a panacea.

SeaFoam nor any other "miracle-in-a-can" will not do what a thorough carb cleaning will do. If used in a two cycle engine via the carb until stalling, it seems to have some combustion chamber cleaning ability. In the real world though, I'd say it's probably more of a mental exercise than a major benefit for the engine.

I've rarely seen any remarkable effects after using SeaFoam or any other engine cleaner for that matter.

I physically cleaned the carb on my 2-stroke weed whacker, but I noticed carbon buildup on the top of the piston when I had the spark plug off.

The motor runs fine and screams like a typical 2-stroke, but I just wonder if I can really clean out the cylinder with Seafoam since I have a can sitting around at home with no purpose currently.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I physically cleaned the carb on my 2-stroke weed whacker, but I noticed carbon buildup on the top of the piston when I had the spark plug off.

The motor runs fine and screams like a typical 2-stroke, but I just wonder if I can really clean out the cylinder with Seafoam since I have a can sitting around at home with no purpose currently.

I've used SeaFoam for cleaning the combustion chambers on a couple outboard engines and an old rough running two stroke Tecumseh powered ice auger. I poured the SeaFoam into a squeeze bottle and ran the engines at moderate rpms and squeezed bursts of SeaFoam into the carb. I'd spray enough in to cause the engine to stumble and allow it to regain normal operation. I did that a few times the gave it a continuous burst until the engine stalled. Then I squeezed a burst into each spark plug hole, put the plugs back in and allowed it to sit for a bit to get the liquid into the rings. After a minute or two, I place the engine with spark plugs down to allow everything to drain into the combustion chamber and let them sit overnight. The next day, I fired them up. There was a great deal of white smoke created and initially lumpy running engine which smoothed out as the smoke diminished. Each engine was given a good run and performance was the same other than the ice auger engine started and ran better for some reason. It hadn't been used for years so it was probably just getting better carburetion from fresh fuel/Seafoam running through it. Can't say for sure.

Visible inspection of the piston crowns through the spark plug holes showed areas of bare aluminum that where once totally black. It appeared that it had lifted some of the carbon there and likely off of the cylinder head as well. To me, the small accumulations of carbon on the piston crown and cylinder head are of no real consequence. The primary cleaning objective for me is rings. I've pulled apart a few old two cycle engines to find the rings virtually useless due to carbon being baked into the grooves. If Seafoam contributes to keeping the ring free, that's good enough for me. Compression tests that I've done have all shown that the engines are good, most in the 120 psi range. Can't say that's because of the Seafoam but overall, it doesn't seem to hurt.

The down side of SeaFoam is the exorbitant price. It's up around $14.00/can here. In view of the fact that there are no tests or measurements that I'm aware of to confirm that it works, it's a little pricey for a leap of faith....

Nonetheless, I keep a can around for mixing with the fuel.

I have also found that using Sta-Bil Marine formula helps clean out the glop in the carburetors. I started using it in my cheap string trimmer a few weeks ago. It would bog when I went to full throttle. I had a rebuild kit for the carb, but decided to try Sta-Bil Marine, just to see what it would do. Now it runs just fine after a tankful. It is about 6 dollars for a small bottle, but it goes a long way (1 oz for 10 gallons). I still use a little MMO for UCL and have some SeaFoam to use up.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back