22R Thermostat opening temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some info on some web sites about running a 180F(82C) thermostat in a 22R Toyota engine that can cure pinging problems especially in warmer climates.They say the stock thermostat is a 195F(90C).
Also there was a tip of drilling a 1/8 inch hole in the disc part of the thermostat?
My 22R pings under load and gets worse the warmer the weather?
It has been checked out by mechanics and has been given the all clear.

Has anyone got any experince with running a lower temp thermostat in a 22R?

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
not in a 22r but i have run 180 t-stats to clear up pinging, also try running 1 heat range colder on your plugs.

I tried colder plugs, they didn't seem to make a difference.

I have checked timimg and have retarted it slightly.

It could also be carbon, but I have tried various cleaners but there has been no improvement.Engine doesn't use much oil however but does do a lot of short trips.Mileage is 141000 and it is 15 years old.
I was tempted to try water method of decarbonising which I read about on this forum.I have a hand held steamer and might give it a try before my next oil change.

Temperature gauge always sits just below half but when I open the bonnet it seems very hot in there compared to my other Toyota with 3RZ-Fe engine which temp gauge always sits at half.

The 22R is a tough little engine. Many years ago I tried but could not destroy one. What type/brand of fuel cleaners are available to you in South Africa? Don't happen to have any BG products do you?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The 22R is a tough little engine. Many years ago I tried but could not destroy one. What type/brand of fuel cleaners are available to you in South Africa? Don't happen to have any BG products do you?

Wynns,Holts and not a lot else.
There is a local product which says it is a compression stabilser, you spray some down each plug hole and leave for 15 mins and then start the engine up, but I haven't tried it.

Not running too lean is it?

Did the mechanic check the fuel flow and pressure?

Maybe still too much timing advance?

Does the cooling system have a small auxillary flow to the coolant temp sensor? If it does you should not need to drill the thermostat.

If it didn't ping new and by design, then something must be amiss.

Mechanics said it was running rich.
I set the timing at 5 degrees BTDC according to my manual's specs mechanics said there manual's specs were 0 degrees BTDC.
So they retarded it further.

BINGO! running rich before (on a carb'ed 22R in S.Africa) just means that your engine combustion chambers have accumulated carbons and whatever enough to raise the compression, thus causing more pings.

If labour cost is not an issue, I would consider removing the heads for a manual cleaning. Otherwise, try chemical cleaners (make should you do some seriously long trips on steady speed to burn off the carbons.

Also: consider having your carburettor serviced/adjusted/rebuild so that it doesn't run rich anymore.

Use quality gasoline/petrol whenever possible. (what you put in there is what you ended up getting: its a simple matter of cause and consequence)

Check to ensure that your thermostat is definitely running at 178 or 180F. Colder thermostat wouldn't relieve you from pings due to carbon accumulation in your combustion chambers but only worsen the situation.

Q.

Last edited:
192F is fine.... so long as your thermostat working fine and is at the factory temperature, I would rather focus on the engine (sparks, gasoline, carb, combustion chamber, etc.) instead.

Q.

A 180 might be OK in warm climates.
Normally, use the hottest thermostat [stock]. Fuel efficiency is better when cruising. The cylinder head and walls don't have to constantly be heated as much to reach homostasis, and more power is available to push the pistons down.
Rich will cause carbon build up, and subsequent pinging. Maybe your O2 sensor is faulty. Maybe your EGR system is faulty.
Chronic bad gas? If the thermostat fixes it, great. It is a simple fix.

Has the engine always pinged? Light pinging isn't really that harmful and is not the same thing as detonation. Older engines with carbs and no electronic spark timing commonly pinged slightly sometimes.

I would check the fuel pressure. Can you get a fuel system cleaner like Techron or Gumout Regane? They can help clean combustion chambers.

No knock sensors or EGR.
Pinging seems to be getting steadily worse usally in winter it didn't ping much but so far this winter it has been pinging quite a bit.
Funny thing is if it is a cold and wet day it doesn't seem to ping much.
It only pings when the engine is hot and at higher speeds especially on the highway.

No knock sensors, no EGR, the same traditional vacuum motor + centrifugal timing advance mechanism built into the inner section of the distributor unit, etc.

In this case, consider cleaning out your combustion chamber to rid of all the carbon deposits before you proceed to do something drastic.

Start by using exact spark plug temperature range that 22R is designed for, regionally-speaking.

Run some gas additives (Holts is ok, try it and see) and make sure you run your 22R long (e.g. extended highway drive).

See if you get any improvements from there.

Q.

For years I was running a colder plug than std, parts shop gave me the wrong plugs, when I later checked the manual I found I needed a NGK BPR5ES they had given me a BPR6ES.
Could colder plugs have contributed to a faster carbon build up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back