STP/Champ filter sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at AZ yesterday to get new wiper blades and checked out their oil and filter selection while I was there. I saw the STP oil filter for my Dakota and it is about an inch (or a little bit more) shorter than the Wix or Purolator or other brands of filters. I am curious to know why it is so much shorter? Are there differences in the end caps or something that they don't need a longer can, or what?

I did search and could not really find anything about it, but I did find some pretty vehement posts about the questionable quality of Champ/STP/ST brand E-core filters. Are they really that bad? The one for my truck has the plastic cage in it, is that an E-core? If it really is a bad filter, why is that? I ask because I may switch to the Kendall GT-1 syn blend they had there, it was $2.99/qt for 10W30. I could buy the oil there and still buy my filters at Napa or Carquest I guess but that doesn't make much sense if the STP at AZ really is an acceptable filter to use for a 3K OCI.

I have been using Napa and Car Quest oil and filters for several years now but am thinking of changing brands. Napa oil is about $2.50/qt and I use a Proselect filter for about $3.29. Carquest oil and filter is right about the same price. If I can buy the syn blend Kendall for $2.99/qt and the STP filter for $3.00 and change, that might be an overall better oil/filter combo. I follow a strict 3K OCI. Thanks for any info here. Really I am just curious right now.

AFAIK the plastic cage is the E-core, there have been reported trouble with holes in the media-BUT, for a 3K OCI, in an older truck, it would probably be fine. IMHO, there are better filters out there for the same or slightly more money (Purolator Classic or Wix [what I usually use] or even Super Tech non E-cores.

The plastic cage is the E-Core design with felt-like material endcaps in place. Unfortunately for your application, you are stuck with the E-Core which is ok for 3K OCIs but there are better filters that have a higher quality standards than Champion Labs and contain metal endcaps and center cage. Try non-Ecore Supertech, Proline (Purolator from Pep Boys) or Napa Proselect for your Dodge Dakota.

I think I may try the Kendall GT-1 after my current stash of Carquest brand 10W30 runs out. I have 8 more quarts and 2 Carquest Red Label filters for my next 2 OCI's. The Kendall would only be 50 cents more per quart and is a good synth blend. I have read some good reviews on it and I think it would be a bit better than the house brands I use now. I might try it for just one OC and see how it goes.

But as odd as it seems to me to buy oil at one store and filters at another, I will just buy my filters at Carquest or Napa. I just can not see using such a small filter, especially one that has felt end caps and plastic inside the filter.

I will be watching the sales for the next few months for deals on the Kendall oil and Proselect/CQ filters. I have been using Proselect and CQ Red Label oil filters for a few years now and they do just fine. They are the best filter I have found in the $3.00 price range anyway. I may check the price on Kendall at Pep Boys next time I am in there. I don't get to Pep Boys often.

Thanks for the info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back