E-10 Flex Fuel Vehicle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of an informal survey; your guys thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

We have people that like ethanol, people that hate it. We all know, that at least for the time being, it's here and will probably proliferate further.

So, I'm assuming we would agree that Flex Fuel vehicles are more tolerant to ethanol (i.e. degradation of fuel lines and so forth). If your jurisdiction were to offer solely E-10, would you consider a Flex Fuel vehicle for purchase, assuming, of course, that the premium paid for the vehicle were something manageable, i.e. $500 or so as a ballpark figure?

In such a case, would the potential reliability or longevity of parts make it worth it?

I think it is Federally mandated by the EPA or something that all fuel in the US is E-10, or 10% ethanol by volume.

Are you speaking about E-85 flexfuel vehicles? Where the fuel is 85% ethanol by volume?
All I know about using E-85 is that it can be hard on your OCI and it is nowhere near efficient as E-10 gas. In other words you have combustion issues and you get less Miles per Gallon using E-85.

Although E-85 is cheaper per gallon, you just about make up for it in the loss of gas mileage, and probably pay for it in the long run if your car isn't perfectly tuned for it.
I don't trust the stuff.

Not sure if I understand your question. Is it your opinion that a E-85 flex vehicle would be more ethanol tolerant ? It my opinion, this would not be necessary if your only objective is E-10 longevity. Almost evry vehicle built since '96 (2000 for sure)has fuel components that are ethanol tolerant. Using current engineering thought, the fuel system components in these vehicles are likely 100 % ethanol tolerant. The only difference in many cases is that in the E-85 vehicles,there is a wide band O2 sensor and some fuel trim tolerance changes that allow the mixture to be enrichend for E-85.

I know ethanol is hated by many, but as you stated, it is likely here to stay, love it or hate it. I have used hundreds and hundreds of gallons of E-85 in flex and non-flex vehicles going back to '96 model year and have never experienced any line degradation, injector plugging, o-ring failure or corrosion of any kind. In fact, just the opposite, engines run just fine on the stuff. If you are talking older than '96 MY, you may have an issue.

The jury is still out.

Its cheaper only because the fed's subsidize it.

Facts about environmental & efficiency impacts are manipulated for political reasons.

Something really stinks about it all.

Give me a 100% ethanol-powered vehicle, then it'll be a flex-fuel vehicle able to run on gas, ethanol, or any mixture thereof.

I personally would assume a modern car will run just fine on E10 and not sweat it.

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
Not sure if I understand your question. Is it your opinion that a E-85 flex vehicle would be more ethanol tolerant ? It my opinion, this would not be necessary if your only objective is E-10 longevity. Almost evry vehicle built since '96 (2000 for sure)has fuel components that are ethanol tolerant. Using current engineering thought, the fuel system components in these vehicles are likely 100 % ethanol tolerant. The only difference in many cases is that in the E-85 vehicles,there is a wide band O2 sensor and some fuel trim tolerance changes that allow the mixture to be enrichend for E-85.

Thanks for all the responses, guys; keep them coming.

No, it looks like you understood my question right. I personally have no problem using ethanol in my vehicles. If I use regular, I have little choice. I happen to have run it for years with no ill effects. Sure, there are fuel mileage concerns and so forth.

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I have, as of late, seen a large and growing number of Flex Fuel vehicles on the road here. I'm trying to figure out why. There are no Flex Fuel stations here. E-10 is the highest ethanol content we have. These aren't out of province or U.S. registered vehicles, either. They're local vehicles.

I'm assuming that Flex Fuel is an option, and not standard equipment. I'm also assuming that it's not a no cost option. Up here, we don't have the same tax breaks to entice people to buy alternative fuel or hybrid vehicles.

So, why am I seeing so many on the road up here, where E-85 isn't even on the radar?

It's not an option on most cars that are Flex-Fuel as far as I know. My low level HHR is flex fuel and I know it was included in the standard base price. I'm sure that the nicer cars in most lines like the Malibu or the Fusion also offer it as part of the base package. Whatever cost there is, is hidden in the base price.

I would assume that Canada is getting them standard as well, aren't they?

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
It's not an option on most cars that are Flex-Fuel as far as I know. My low level HHR is flex fuel and I know it was included in the standard base price.

Okay, that was helpful. I have seen a number of HHRs with the flex fuel markings and wondered why. The others I've seen are a large number of Chevy/GMC trucks. I'll have to check the Canadian web sites and see how many vehicles have flex fuel as standard, and how many as an option.

E85 is not a good seller because the loss exceeds the price cut. Car companies like to produce flex fuel cars because the CAFE bonus allows them to get gas miser credits for gas guzzlers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back