Using 2 ramps and 2 jackstands to lift car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to lift my car off the ground. I have 2 jack stands and I have 2 rino ramps. I'm thinking drive up the ramps, then lift the rear of the car on the 2 jack stands. I'm a little uncertain if this is safe.

Anyone care to chime in?

If it's RWD how are you going to lock the front wheels?

I know the rams have a dip/divot the wheels will sit in, but I would personally be a bit nervous with the rear on "tippy" jackstands without the other axle secured.

I suspect the most dangerous part of this would be the transition time, getting it up, and once it's up it'll be sturdy.

If it's RWD with a solid axle, and you jack on the pumpkin and put saddle type stands on the outboard parts of the axle, that would probably sit pretty okay.

Even a FWD a/t in Park on ramps would make me nervous without positive retention of the rear tires, only need one tire to lose traction or find slop in the parking pawl and bump it over the little stop...

It is Front wheel drive, automatic.
I have used the ramps safely for oil changes many times.

Last edited:
I would think you'd be safer having all 4 corners on ramps, assuming there was some way to set this up.

Originally Posted By: bkbenjy
So I would like to lift my car off the ground. I have 2 jack stands and I have 2 rino ramps. I'm thinking drive up the ramps, then lift the rear of the car on the 2 jack stands. I'm a little uncertain if this is safe.

Anyone care to chime in?

Should be fine, especially if the car is in park.

If I were you, I would back the rear onto the ramps and put the front on the stands. That way you can set the parking brake to lock the rear wheels, which might be better for holding the car on the ramp.

Asuming you don't want to buy another pair of jack stands I think you could make it safe. Personally I love the Rhino Ramps as well. If the parking brake works maybe put the rears on the ramps to help secure the vehicle. But I agree making sure it is secure from rolling would probably be my biggest concern.

Sounds like a youtube disaster video in the making. Having bothh axles off the ground using jacks or ramps is always VERY dangerous and unstable. Proceed with extreme caution!

I'm pretty sure jackstand instructions like to caution the user only to use stands to lift one end of a vehicle at a time, too, and we all ignore that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the instructions though.

I did this to change the transmission oil on my old 280zx. The car had to be level and I only had 2 jack stands. That car was RWD. IIRC I backed onto the ramps and put the front on stands.

All in all I do feel like this is a little dicey, but I'm not sure why because technically the "transition time" as eljefino refers to it could be dicey with 4 stands as well.

Quote:
I'm a little uncertain if this is safe.

If you are uncertain it's safe, then it probably isn't.

I use the heavy duty rhino ramps for oil changes, but to get all four wheels off the ground in my little shop I use four quality jackstands and four quality floor jacks on a level cement surface.

I won't get under a car without backup support for the vehicle - my life is too important to me.

One axle on ramps and another part of the car on stands sounds dicey to me.

Last edited:
I would be okay with it.

If youve got a big enough jack, jack it up under the rear diff or tow hook, then place your stands. Also, leave the transmission in gear, and keep an eye on the front tires while your jacking.

Should be safe, and solid. This is all assuming you have good solid ramps, and level firm ground or concrete.

You can drive forward or backwards on ramps. Whichever works.
Then jack the other end up and put it on stands.
With proper placement, I would have no problems with this.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Ya I'm suprised how many people don't approve. I don't see how this is so much more dangerous than 4 jack stands?

The car rolls off the ramps, the jack stands collapse and the person under the car gets squished.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Originally Posted By: cp3
Ya I'm suprised how many people don't approve. I don't see how this is so much more dangerous than 4 jack stands?

The car rolls off the ramps, the jack stands collapse and the person under the car gets squished.

Ok but how is this any different from crawling under a car with one end on ramps or jack stands or on four jack stands. This is something everyone of us should keep in mind every time we get under a car period. I'm not saying to take it lightly, I just believe it could be done safely.

I changed the clutch on my car while it was supported by jack stands. For various reasons, it took five days if I remember correctly. Five days straight with my car up on jack stands. I'm still alive.

I don't see how ramps could possibly be worse. They (should) have notches to keep the wheels from rolling back, which they shouldn't do in the first place if the car is in park and/or the parking brake is up (depending on which wheels are on the ramps). Just keep an eye on them in case they start buckling -- which they also shouldn't do if the tires are centered on them -- and you should be fine.

Am I missing anything here?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I don't see how ramps could possibly be worse. They (should) have notches to keep the wheels from rolling back, which they shouldn't do in the first place if the car is in park and/or the parking brake is up (depending on which wheels are on the ramps).

I concur. I've actually pushed a ~2800 lb car backwards off rhino ramps (on purpose) after an oil change because I wanted to add oil with the car level. Took some force. Just leaning against it or something wouldn't do it. And since this was on purpose it was with the car free to roll of course (parking brake off, trans in neutral).

For some reason, the Rhino/Blitz Company doesn't want you to use the ramps other than to support one end of the car at a time. Maybe someone should ask them why?

Per their site:

"Use only as a matched pair to support either the front or back end of a vehicle."

"Ramps are NOT to be used to support both ends of vehicle at once or on one side of vehicle only. Use ramps either on both front wheels or both rear wheels."

"Do not use other lifting equipment in conjunction with ramps."

http://www.rhinoramps.com/safety.html

Probably just a CYA/liability thing, but who knows, maybe they have a good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back