Chinese made O.E. brand suspension parts from ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've done some extensive research, and everybody is universally saying to stay away... but hear me out.

I'm trying to get 5-8 more years out of my '93 beater altima, 185K highway miles. The left side OEM control arm bushing is completely gone, and squeaking like a rat high on cheese wiz. I just re-upped on new tires, so decided to go for another 5-8 years instead of selling vehicle. Now I need to invest in the front suspension. I already ordered the Chinese O.E. brand parts from ebay from seller worldsuspension, so I'm stuck with them. Most of the people complaining with problems have trucks and other heavy vehicles.

I've heard a lot of negativity, but am interested in if anybody has had any success stories. I know the steel is a lower grade, but it just needs to make it another 5-8 years. I've also got the ball joint, sway bar bushing and outer tie rod as well as some new bellows boots (all O.E. brand except the boots). I don't need the tie rods, but the bellows boots are looking like they are about to open up, so I figured to do the tie rods/boots at the same time

So here are some questions:

* Can I swap out the chinese ball joint for a moog (is that even possible on the chinese control arm?)

* If I stick with the Chinese ball joint, is it really as much as a risk on an altima versus a truck? Will I really only get a year out of it, as reported in older threads?

* Can I put only one new control arm at a time, or do they have to be done in pairs? (especially considering the part of the right side is still the original OEM part with a replacment ball joint.

* Do the concerns about the chinese parts also extend to the sway link and outer tie rods?

I had one of those "OE" LCA/ball joint combos from ebay on my saturn.

Ball joint doesn't come off seperately, therefore I have to buy the whole thing, therefore the $40/90 price differential was noticeable.

Fast forward 35k miles, when I was turning right, if I got into it enough, "something" changed and I was suddenly oversteering even more right. IDK if it was a bushing or what.

The BJ was making poppy clunky noises but still felt tight in the air. I finally got mad and changed it out and the wierd oversteer stopped.

I am the cheapest person in the world! I rinse out ziploc bags for reuse and go to the bathroom at work before I leave to use the free toilet paper. I would not recommend those parts!

But of course since you already bought them, put them on.

Oh, BTW, the alignment changed on me with those "OE" parts, but not with TRW.

I've also run "OE" tie rod ends, I get those locally from advance auto, and they seem okay except for I can't just leave the jam nut in place and count on them being aligned.

Sorry OE brand is just cheap junk it is not OEM as their deceptive branding would have you believe.
Don't be surprised if you have to redo the whole job with Moog when the thing wont align properly.A real hit and miss,i hope you have luck with these.

It's junk stuff man. We swapped out pass upper/lower ball joints on a friends Cherokee out in Moab, UT with Chinese spares. By the time we drove home, they were bad.

I wouldn't want that stuff to fail on 128 or 93.

Moog it, and know you're driving safe.

Thanks for the feedback. I hear you guys loud and clear not to use the Chinese ball joints. But how about the other stuff ? (control arm, sway bar link, outer tie rod). Remember, I'm only trying to get 5 years out of this stuff.

Also, if I do put in the O.E. brand control arm/sway link on the left side (with a moog ball joint) will I need to do the same on the right side to make the suspension even?

Quote:
I'm only trying to get 5 years out of this stuff.

5 yrs in Boston is a lifetime for suspension parts,some of the roads are like tank traps.

The control and its bushings have to be quality items to work properly,any deviation from OEM specs will result in alignment issues and worn parts.
We put a set of Mevotech arms on at the customers request and could not align the car,one had a slight twist.

Replace both sway bar links as the bushings on the other side may have softened or compressed over time,not critical but cheap and easy enough to do it right.

Some of it good quality, and some is junk. Its hit and miss. My TRW lower ball joints were made in China, and have been holding up very well

It's sometimes almost impossible to buy parts not made in China.

I was recently buying a fuel filter. I specified Wix for a few dollars more, thinking that at worst it would be made in Italy or Mexico. No, made in China. Just like every other filter brand in stock. I could special order, but with little hope of getting a non-Chinese part.

The same is true for most other parts and tools. Even if it was a quality part the last time you bought, it's now likely sourced from China.

Not that every Chinese part and tool is junk. It's just that you should mentally start from scratch with brand reputation. That Wix fuel filter was no different from the store brand. Just like the $50 FleaBay radiator is exactly the same part that's $80, $105, $150 and $200 at the local parts stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back